PDA

View Full Version : How to restore metal trim

jwgreen6
10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
My car has black metal trim surrounding the moon roof and looks like gray chalk. Is there anything that will restore metal trim without having to repaint?

stibuki
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Hard to comment. A little more info (make, model and year) also a pic might be helpful. Solid black or semi-transparent (like smoke color)? Could be anodized or painted and that would make a huge difference how you treat it.

jwgreen6
10-01-2012, 08:23 PM
It looks like black metal trim surrounding the glass portion of the moon roof. The surface is smooth and look like trim that has been bleached out by the sun (it's a 1997 Ford Taurus SHO, by the way). Nothing made for plastic trim will even faze it. There is similar trim on the door panels between the front door and rear door, both sides in a similar condition.

Since it's 0-dark:30 right now, I'll have to wait until daytime to post pictures.

A.P.A.D.
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
a picture will definitely help get you an answer.

btw, at first glance I thought your logo was the BMW symbol! I was reading the text of your post and saw the logo via peripherals so I assumed your car was a BMW, then when you said it was a Taurus i looked at your logo again realizing it was your business logo. thought you would get a kick out of that! lol

jwgreen6
10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
a picture will definitely help get you an answer.

btw, at first glance I thought your logo was the BMW symbol! I was reading the text of your post and saw the logo via peripherals so I assumed your car was a BMW, then when you said it was a Taurus i looked at your logo again realizing it was your business logo. thought you would get a kick out of that! lol

What a hoot! I'll pass that along to my graphics artist who designed it. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of that.

After owning this particular breed of American exotica (3.4L 32-valve DOHC V-8, semi-active suspension, etc) I'm not sure if I want a foreign car like a BMW because the maintenance costs would surely eat me alive.

FUNX650
10-02-2012, 07:19 AM
-For black anodized aluminum trim: Try applying a non-abrasive/non-cleaning wax or sealant...
...via a soft, very soft white towel...with non-scrubbing action. As often as 'needed'.

-For painted black 'metal' trim: Try Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer...and if I may suggest,
following the same above instructions.

-If...After trying one of the above methods---for your-type-of-black-trim, (for a time-period meeting your approval),
with the results not to your satisfaction...A respray may be in order.

:)

Bob

jwgreen6
10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
My car has black metal trim surrounding the moon roof and looks like gray chalk. Is there anything that will restore metal trim without having to repaint?

Here's a photo of the trim surrounding the glass portion of the moonroof in my car. I hope this better illustrates my dilemma.

Finemess
10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I'd try this. Make it look a whole lot better. IMO.
Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html)