PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbing Bubbles on leather???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CleanFlow
09-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey. I was researching the best way to clean leather and I have read favorable reviews on using Scrubbing Bubbles (green cap). Do any of you all have experience with this?

If not, what is the best OTC Leather Cleaner/Conditioner that I can pick up from AZ or similar?

Thanks!

BillyJack
09-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Until I found AG, all I used were OTC products. Meg's Gold Class served me well for years on a number of cars, as well as Lexol. A few years ago I had a problem with dye transfer from my wife's red leather jacket on the tan seats of her Rendezvous. Neither the GC or Lexol would remove it, nor Simple Green at 1:4, so I tried Tuff Stuff liquid. Bad move! It removed most of the dye, but also the coating on the seat. That drove home the principle of trying an unknown product on an inconspicuous area first, as Tuff Stuff aerosol had never caused any problems. Based on that one experience, I would be wary of any product not intended for leather. Nowadays, I use Leather Masters once in a while and OPC /OPP regularly. I still use the Meg's GC on the leather wraps of my pool cues. It cleans well and leaves the leather soft without being slippery.

Bill

swanicyouth
09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Are these nice seats?

CleanFlow
09-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Are these nice seats?

The seats are seven years old, but still in very good shape. Minimal wear and good color.

Until I found AG, all I used were OTC products. Meg's Gold Class served me well for years on a number of cars, as well as Lexol. A few years ago I had a problem with dye transfer from my wife's red leather jacket on the tan seats of her Rendezvous. Neither the GC or Lexol would remove it, nor Simple Green at 1:4, so I tried Tuff Stuff liquid. Bad move! It removed most of the dye, but also the coating on the seat. That drove home the principle of trying an unknown product on an inconspicuous area first, as Tuff Stuff aerosol had never caused any problems. Based on that one experience, I would be wary of any product not intended for leather. Nowadays, I use Leather Masters once in a while and OPC /OPP regularly. I still use the Meg's GC on the leather wraps of my pool cues. It cleans well and leaves the leather soft without being slippery.

Bill

So an APC would work great, as well as Megs GC? I don't need it to be professional, just clean and soft.

BillyJack
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
The seats are seven years old, but still in very good shape. Minimal wear and good color.

So an APC would work great, as well as Megs GC? I don't need it to be professional, just clean and soft.

If you need to go OTC, use the Meg's or Lexol. Save the APC for any problem spots that the Meg's or Lexol can't remove.

Bill

TimmyG
09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I would personally advise against using a household cleaner like scrubbing bubbles to clean automotive leather. If you want to clean it the right way, you're in the right place. For an OTC product that works well, I like VLR by mothers.

I would suggest cleaning with a all purpose cleaner diluted to proper strength before cleaning following up with VLR.

habeba86
09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I would stick with a leather cleaner. Im all for getting random things to work and experimenting with product, but NOT on leather.

FUNX650
09-30-2012, 09:15 AM
-I have personally never...ever...used Scrubbing Bubbles for any automotive cleaning purposes...
especially on leather :eek:...whether it's 'coated' or otherwise.

-Even if the leather appointed cabin-areas are seven years old...
I see no reason for you to do any differently.

-I can only suggest trying this instead:
Leather Master Leather Care Products, Auto Care Master, Leather Master Car Interior Leather Products, leather care, leather cleaner, leather (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html)

:)

Bob

Theostoubos
09-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm not recommending that... But that's where I ve seen what you are talking about. I would use a very light solution of apc to clean initially and the follow with a dedicated leather cleaner. Leathers Masters or Leatherique.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbz3-3buHM]YouTube - How to Clean Leather Seats to Match my new leather seat covers.[/video]

SON1C
09-30-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/50591-son1c-synopsis-8-chemical-guys-leather-cleaner-leather-conditioner-double-feature.html

jwellsii
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Isn't Scrubbing Bubbles a bathroom cleaner? I don't think that qualifies as a leather cleaner :dunno:

FUNX650
09-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Isn't Scrubbing Bubbles a bathroom cleaner? I don't think that qualifies as a leather cleaner :dunno:

^^^^:xyxthumbs:^^^^

Here's where one can find the Ingredients, MSDS...including the way-over-the-plus-side-of-7.0-ph...
of this SC Johnson brand of cleaners line-up.

Scrubbing Bubbles® Products: SC Johnson (http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/scrubbing-bubbles.aspx)

A couple of Scrubbing Bubbles® products that "sound pretty":

-Bathroom Cleaners with: "Color Power Technology"
-Refreshing Spa® Refill
-Toilet Cleaners with a hint of "Fresh Mountain Morning" scent
-Vanish:
(that's probably what will happen to the OP's leather...By use of those dastardly-Bubbles.)

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
09-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Generaly speaking products designed to clean your toliet shouldn't be considered as part of your detailing arsenal

Having said that, give it a shot and report back your findings

Flash Gordon
09-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Wait a minute! Aren't you the dude that was going to detail thier gf's parents car?

This could get intresting :)

NYYYCEandEEEEZY
09-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm certainly no expert on leather care, but I do know what I've used that works very well, and Leatherique is my go-to product. A little messy, requires a little bit of a time commitment, and many consider it a little pricey, but it works very well.

If all of that seems like too much to deal with, and you're still looking for an OTC product at a storefront location, I've read some comments by satisfied customers who have used either Lexol or Griots Garage leather care products. I've never done business with them, but I found both at the Advanced Auto Parts website.

Either way, I'd stay away from using scrubbing bubbles on the leather in any of my vehicles, no matter what the color of the cap!