PDA

View Full Version : was getting on the freeway when...

timaishu
09-29-2012, 08:34 PM
An odd thing happened today while I was getting on the freeway. I was getting on the 94W and I had just crested the top and was evening out with the othe cars when I heard a loud grinding/scraping sound to my left. There was a jeep right next to me, and when the sounded happened, he floored it. After he passed I saw that two lanes over, was a silver Tacoma missing its front right wheel grinding down the road. He was throwing out tons of sparks from the disc brake. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The driver handled it well. He just stayed in the lane until he was going slow enough to turn into the dirt shoulder. As I passed I saw the tire rolling across the freeway about 200ft behind me.

Sure was an interesting morning to say the least! I've never seen anything like that before.

Jomax
09-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Wowzers, could've been MUCH worse. Glad he was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

timaishu
09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Same here. He had full control of his truck. The timing couldn't have any better(I dont mean it in a good way), in that if I got there ten seconds earlier, I would have missed it completely because as soon as I got on the freeway, I had to take an exit to a different freeway. Ten seconds later I would have missed it or would have seen in him sliding onto the shoulder wondering what happened.

I didn't see the tire come off. But it must had just happened because he was matching me at 65 when I looked over and saw him grinding on the freeway.

swanicyouth
09-29-2012, 10:25 PM
That guy just had tires or brakes put on at Pep Boys. What you didn't see, was the oil trail behind his truck from where they forgot to tighten the drain plug.

Flash Gordon
09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
I love witnessing things like this. Especially when no one is hurt...I mean, if it's destined to happen, I'd like to see it :)

CVSummer
09-29-2012, 11:37 PM
This happened to me... Picked up car from tire shop jumped on freeway drove about 10 miles. When I exited the freeway I heard a loud rubbing noise . When I exited the freeway I pulled over, checked the wheels, and I noticed my two front tires were not torqued down. I dodged a big one and I had my 2 yr old daughter in car with me. Needless to say I never went back to that tire shop, and I no longer trust any shop to torque down my wheels without me watching them do it.

Jennytay
09-29-2012, 11:51 PM
One time on I95 here in nc there was an impala missing back tires I think it was driving faster than me. Not trying to slow down at all. Called highway patrol and they saif they were actually looking for him. I'm like....no one has called in yet? You can't hear that from Timbuktu?

flamed03vert
10-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I guess the trained technician that worked on the truck was absent on LUG NUT DAY. Sorry... the story reminded me of Ron Whites comedy skit. Good that no one was hurt

tuscarora dave
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
That happened here on I-83 some years back with a southbound tractor trailer. The dual wheel assembly from the trailer snapped off and went bouncing into oncoming traffic in the northbound lanes where it stuck right in a poor lady's windshield. The coroner said she probably didn't feel it for more than a second. What a disturbing thought.

Every time I see a truck rolling up the highway with a wobbly worn out set of trailer tires (which is every day) I think about that tragic incident.

I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time but the media only covers it when someone dies.

yakky
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Every time I see a truck rolling up the highway with a wobbly worn out set of trailer tires (which is every day) I think about that tragic incident.

Yup, the level of disrepair in these vehicles just keeps getting worse. I guess it's hard to notice a funny wobble when you are high out of your mind on meth or bath salts....

Flash Gordon
10-01-2012, 11:21 AM
A friend of mine owns a dump truck company and he tells me ALL dump trucks have bad brakes. If I see a dump truck coming up behind me at a redlight, I switch lanes. Could you imagine getting rear ended by a dump truck?