PDA

View Full Version : Which product to fix this?

oracle462
09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I have a black Mazda rx8 and will be purchasing a PC in the near future. I wanted to do a little research before buying products as to figure out what I need. This is the best place to ask!

I've got some left over Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 #9 and Medium Cut Cleaner #2. Can I get the job done with these products or should I use something else? The pictures below are after I clayed using Megs smooth surface clay kit, #2, then #9 BY HAND. I was not pleased with the results so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the product or if I just get a PC then it will get the scratches and spots out.

The first picture are spots that I'm not sure what they are...do I need a polishing compound for these? A more aggressive clay?

The second picture is a scratch that is very thin, but much deeper than what these products could clear by hand.

The third picture shows two scratches I believe are at different depths.

Any advice would be VERY helpful! Thanks!

Bill1234
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I think the first one from the left might be a small amount of clearcoat failure or water spotting. The big white one might be able to get out if it does not catch your fingernail. The last one might also be too

StephenK
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
My phone wont allow me to blow up pictures but from what i see the first pic might be from bird bombs. Which may never completely come out but can make it look considerablly better. Try Megs 105 or even Optimum hyper compound with surbuff pad but will have to follow up with a finer polish and less aggressive pad. Another route to go would be go with the Hydro Tech pads. Have not tried them myself but ha e heard alot of great things about them. Them and some Optimum MF pads are my next purchase

oracle462
10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Detailgod, I see you're here in Illinois. I'm in Evanston. Any special wax you use for the winters up here? This winter will be the Mazda's first winter in the North so I'm trying to protect it the best I can

geola1
10-01-2012, 04:45 AM
I have a black Mazda rx8 and will be purchasing a PC in the near future. I wanted to do a little research before buying products as to figure out what I need. This is the best place to ask!

I've got some left over Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 #9 and Medium Cut Cleaner #2. Can I get the job done with these products or should I use something else? The pictures below are after I clayed using Megs smooth surface clay kit, #2, then #9 BY HAND. I was not pleased with the results so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the product or if I just get a PC then it will get the scratches and spots out.

The first picture are spots that I'm not sure what they are...do I need a polishing compound for these? A more aggressive clay?

The second picture is a scratch that is very thin, but much deeper than what these products could clear by hand.

The third picture shows two scratches I believe are at different depths.

Any advice would be VERY helpful! Thanks!

Do you have a Dual Action polisher? That would help remove these issues. The product you will have to experiment with. If you want to keep up your black car you will need multiple items. Meguires and Pinnacle will help you. The pinnacle swirl remover works great on tree sap or bird droppings. Start with the least aggressive first and work your way up. follow the instructions on the bottle. The figure 8 motion really works and keep pressure on the polisher. Meguires makes multiple products that will help also. Your choice.

StephenK
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Detailgod, I see you're here in Illinois. I'm in Evanston. Any special wax you use for the winters up here? This winter will be the Mazda's first winter in the North so I'm trying to protect it the best I can

Not sure what i am gonna use this winter but normally i use Collinite845

01GreyStangGT
10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
845 is a great winter wax.

Chris's FX4
10-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I've had good success with Meguiar's Scratch-X by hand on some light scratches and bird drop etchings. They may not have been completely removed, but they were much less visible to the naked eye. A machine probably would have taken care of these real quick. I used a LC 3" Tangerine HT pad.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/ChrisFX4/DSC01448.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/ChrisFX4/DSC01454.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/ChrisFX4/DSC01453.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/ChrisFX4/DSC01455.jpg