PDA

View Full Version : how many of you are no longer using clay?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

VISITOR
09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
with the sm arnold speedy prep towel & nanoskin autoscrub foam pad available, how many of you use one of these and no longer use a clay bar?

Kinalyx
09-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I would assume that most people without a business are still using clay. I only really see benefit to the prep towels for people that need clay often, otherwise its just not cost effective.

Shawn

silverfox
09-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Clay... Whats that..?..nope, done with it.

KillaCam
09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Hate clay, takes too long. Just ordered the speedy prep towel today. I'm hoping I like it.

master detailer
09-29-2012, 04:43 PM
if you dont clay your just a wana bee if its your car do any thing you like. Not if its someone that is paying to be clayed.

swanicyouth
09-29-2012, 04:52 PM
I know the rubber DA thing that acts as clay is known to mar paint, but is the Speedy Prep towel also considered aggressive?

It seems at least clay is soft and will absorb some contaminates. With the rubber towel and DA pad, don't they just drag on the paint until you rinse it? Where do the contaminates go?

VISITOR
09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I know the rubber DA thing that acts as clay is known to mar paint, but is the Speedy Prep towel also considered aggressive?

It seems at least clay is soft and will absorb some contaminates. With the rubber towel and DA pad, don't they just drag on the paint until you rinse it? Where do the contaminates go?

claying at some point will marr, so thats why it's always a good idea to polish after (you already knew that). with the DA nanoskin autoscrub, you use it on speed 1-2 just enough to keep the pad moving/spinning to pick up contaminants, instead of using it on higher setting where it would be like polishing which is probably overkill and not needed (higher risk of marring). i have the prep towel and like it, but i've been on the fence on ordering the DA version and another site has $4.99 shipping (orders over $49) and 10% off right now which is tempting...

NANOSKIN AutoScrub is Safe on Black Paint.mp4 - YouTube

How NANOSKIN AutoScrub Works.mp4 - YouTube

oldmodman
09-29-2012, 11:50 PM
When my stockpile of clay (Clay magic Blue, Clay Magic Red, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and Mothers) runs out I will probably try one of the other products. But that will be ten years from now.
However, if it shows up on BOGO, during a combined 20% off sale with free shipping I will be all over it.

Jennytay
09-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I think I'll just stick with clay. I like the concept better and I'm not lazy when I detail. Just time I'm getting to spend with my car so the time it takes to clay doesn't bother me. If I can do things by hand with great results then that's what I want to do.

Johny B
09-30-2012, 01:17 AM
When my stockpile of clay (Clay magic Blue, Clay Magic Red, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and Mothers) runs out I will probably try one of the other products. But that will be ten years from now.
However, if it shows up on BOGO, during a combined 20% off sale with free shipping I will be all over it.

I agree. I have a pile of clay bars me too but wait for a review done by experienced members to order prep towels or other product.
Johny.

jrs1418
09-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Like Master detailer said, if its your car then do what you like. If you're charging someone, i'd be a little hesitant. Yes clay can mar, but when a contaminate is picked up with clay it gets embedded in and if it scratches it will be minor. With the nano skin or whatever, the particle has nowhere to go but get dragged around until you notice and watch it. I think clay is safer, and if done right a mild clay wont scratch or mar and wont need polishing afterwards. I'd only nano skin if i was gonna polish 100%.

VISITOR
09-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Like Master detailer said, if its your car then do what you like. If you're charging someone, i'd be a little hesitant. Yes clay can mar, but when a contaminate is picked up with clay it gets embedded in and if it scratches it will be minor. With the nano skin or whatever, the particle has nowhere to go but get dragged around until you notice and watch it. I think clay is safer, and if done right a mild clay wont scratch or mar and wont need polishing afterwards. I'd only nano skin if i was gonna polish 100%.

that's why you would wipe the pad clean with a mf towel after each section, kinda like when it would be time to re-knead the clay...

Blackthorn One
09-30-2012, 03:28 AM
I think I'll just stick with clay. I like the concept better and I'm not lazy when I detail. Just time I'm getting to spend with my car so the time it takes to clay doesn't bother me. If I can do things by hand with great results then that's what I want to do.
I also prefer the clay concept. I believe it would mar less. However, there is a version of the special contaminant removal cloths that are used by hand. Claying iseasily done by hand. If the cloths truly are faster and easier, why is a DA even needed with the special cloth?

jrs1418
09-30-2012, 03:43 AM
that's why you would wipe the pad clean with a mf towel after each section, kinda like when it would be time to re-knead the clay...

I understand, but once again.. when clay picks something up it gets embedded into the clay. With the towel the contaminate has nowhere to go except rolled on the paint. You can wipe your towel off every section and this would still apply. Of course with clay the same particle can scratch, but the profile hitting the paint would be minimized and so would the scratch.

Blackthorn One
09-30-2012, 05:45 AM
I understand, but once again.. when clay picks something up it gets embedded into the clay. With the towel the contaminate has nowhere to go except rolled on the paint. You can wipe your towel off every section and this would still apply. Of course with clay the same particle can scratch, but the profile hitting the paint would be minimized and so would the scratch.
The contaminant can be pulled into the weave of the cloth, away from the paint to a large degree, as well. Once the nap fills up enough with particles, then they will start to scratch significantly. The cloth is not COMPLETELY flat. However, I still think that the clay with lube method is safer. I have not used the cloth, but I know that cloth has fibers, which can collect dirt.