PDA

View Full Version : Griots random orbital

stangfreak
09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey mike what's up. so I have a question since I am new to machine's. what happens if you go over the "sharp" edges on the car.

I was told if you go over them with a machine, that is the spot that will most likely get damaged first because its not a flat surface. I am really not sure how to go about detailing the car now since I was told that.

I will try to post a picture of a 2003 cobra hood to show you what im talking about. This is NOT my car guy's, so.

see how the hood has a lot of raises, edges etc? even where the hood meets the fender.

mwoolfso
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Edges will tend to receive more direct force from your hand or DA and with a smaller surface area you can get too aggressive without even realizing it; potentially more paint loss is possible compared to a non-edge surface.

Your safest approach would be to do those areas by hand and be mindful of how much pressure you are applying to the edges. Once you feel comfortable you may be able to go with a DA and get close enough to the edges while maintaining a level pad on the entire surface. It really depends on the body style, how sharp of an edge we are talking about, and lastly how much correction the edge really needs.

SR99
09-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Edges/metal bends can also tend to have thinner paint to start with.

You could get some narrow (e.g. 1/8" wide) green 3M series 233+ masking tape and put it over the edges to avoid direct pad contact. Or the 3M blue vinyl as shown in RaskyR1's pic below:
http://emob75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/1968%20Firebird/IMG_3113.jpg?t=1273710941

Note the tape over the upper fender bend

stangfreak
09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Edges will tend to receive more direct force from your hand or DA and with a smaller surface area you can get too aggressive without even realizing it; potentially more paint loss is possible compared to a non-edge surface.

Your safest approach would be to do those areas by hand and be mindful of how much pressure you are applying to the edges. Once you feel comfortable you may be able to go with a DA and get close enough to the edges while maintaining a level pad on the entire surface. It really depends on the body style, how sharp of an edge we are talking about, and lastly how much correction the edge really needs.

Gotcha. I attached a picture of a 2003 cobra, which is what I have. I might just do the hood by hand. But, according to people on here, im crazy removing light swirl marks by hand lol.

stangfreak
09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Edges/metal bends can also tend to have thinner paint to start with.

You could get some narrow (e.g. 1/8" wide) green 3M series 233+ masking tape and put it over the edges to avoid direct pad contact. Or the 3M blue vinyl as shown in RaskyR1's pic below:
http://emob75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/1968%20Firebird/IMG_3113.jpg?t=1273710941

Note the tape over the upper fender bend

That is not a bad idea. Im going to pick up some of that tape. what about when applying wax? Do I still have to worry about the edges?

SR99
09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Wax or other things not intended to abrade paint are fine w/out taping.

stangfreak
09-28-2012, 09:57 PM
ok good. I just thought that the actual machine even with wax would damage the edges on the car. unfortunatly as you see from the pic, the cobra hood is intense. so many line's etc

Madness87
09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
ok good. I just thought that the actual machine even with wax would damage the edges on the car. unfortunatly as you see from the pic, the cobra hood is intense. so many line's etc

It can happen but it's more difficult to burn paint with a DA, even at the edges. Paint is thinnest there and so you definitely shouldn't let your orbital linger.

Wax, especially applied with any type of finishing pad with no "cut" will not damage the edge at all.

Just tape off as much and as best as you can, be prepared for a huge "ball" of tape by the time you're done though.:xyxthumbs:

stangfreak
09-29-2012, 01:18 PM
It can happen but it's more difficult to burn paint with a DA, even at the edges. Paint is thinnest there and so you definitely shouldn't let your orbital linger.

Wax, especially applied with any type of finishing pad with no "cut" will not damage the edge at all.

Just tape off as much and as best as you can, be prepared for a huge "ball" of tape by the time you're done though.:xyxthumbs:

Yea I got some hex logic red and black pads. For the polish I just ordered the ccs white pads. But I will pick up some tape. Never thought of that before!

Klasse Act
09-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Can't see the GG 6" RO doing any damage like that. I've got one and have used it many times w/o a problem and I'm a backyard detailer, go for it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

VP Mark
09-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Even when I'm compounding edges, I just spend less time on edges, slow down my speed, and check my work more often... just be patient and don't try to "blast through" edges.

mwoolfso
09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Gotcha. I attached a picture of a 2003 cobra, which is what I have. I might just do the hood by hand. But, according to people on here, im crazy removing light swirl marks by hand lol.

Odds are good you won't have swirls on the edges themselves, but if you do clear them up last and assess if you need to touch the edges at all.

stangfreak
09-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Im not concerned about swirl marks on the edge's. You can't even see that. I should have said that earlier. My concern was going over them when polishing or waxing the car.