PDA

View Full Version : How to take Before and After photos?

y8s
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm just getting into this as a hobby and going to be cleaning up 3 cars over the next few days/weeks/months/whatever.

I've seen a lot of photos of bright lights and swirls for before shots and bright lights and no swirls for after shots, but...

What is the best technique for using a bright light source for capturing the true condition of the paint?

Things like:

Type of camera
How to focus (finger method)
Type of light source (sun, Brinkmann, LED flashlight, etc)
Where to point the light source (at the camera or somewhere else)
stuff like that.

Here's a quick shot i took with my phone with the flash using my finger:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pvmHRGvbpq4/UGTKpIqX65I/AAAAAAAAOCA/Jlxv_bcR0fk/s1024/IMAG1646.jpg

I've also taken a bunch of shots with my DSLR at night using a bright LED flashlight. I could see the swirls but it was dark so it was a pain. Also the cars were dirty so... not great comparison starting points.

Anyway, the question is mostly for Mike since he's the guy posting so many pro level pictures, but anyone else with input is welcome to share!

Thanks!

Matt

AC in OC
09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Boom: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26917-how-capture-swirls-scratches-etchings-other-surface-defects-your-camera.html

I think you're on the right track. The finger method helps with auto focus settings and provides scale. The other comments in this link provide helpful insights, lighting being the main factor. Even changing the light bulb to a different color to pick up the contrast on lighter colored cars is nice discovery often not thought of.

y8s
09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks. I had read that thread but still had some lingering questions about how to (literally) shed some more light on the subject.

It doesn't go into specifics of angles and brightness and such. Some of those shots look like they're looking right into the sun, am I right?

AC in OC
09-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I had read that thread but still had some lingering questions about how to (literally) shed some more light on the subject.

It doesn't go into specifics of angles and brightness and such. Some of those shots look like they're looking right into the sun, am I right?

You're right. The 1st couple pictures in that thread look like direct sunlight, most likely mid-day. If you're shooting in low light or outdoors later in the day/early morning, your results may not be the best you're looking for.

I'll let more experienced guys chime in, as this is a good topic. I'm sure you won't hear from Mike for a little bit, since he's probably prepping for his Boot Camp now. Maybe next week.