PDA

View Full Version : New (Sort-of)

beckler
09-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone! Great site! Looking forward to learning.

I've been doing work on cars for about three or four years now. I'm currently in college studying Auto Technology.

I don't make money detailing cars. I just focus on my own vehicles (nothing special, daily drivers).

Let me start off by what I currently use:

First, the basics. I use Meguires soap for cleaning. I used to use a chamois but now I've been using a water blade (professionally refered to as a cylicone water-blade thingy... I think). Minimizes water spots, and those goddam holograms from whiping with a microfiber cloth.

For detailing, I use meguires compound and Zymol show-car wax. IMO, Meguires is the best compound. When it comes to compound however, I'm not too experienced with what I'm doing. (Though I'm good at making it look like I know...) When applying compound, I use some cheap-ass variable speed gigantic wheel. (Some chinese brand).

Zymol is a teriffic product. Their wax is not available in stores. Though in my experience, Zymol (at least the model wax I use) is less of a shining wax and more of a protectant. My wax usually lasts 4 to 6 months on the car. Though I dont plan to give up my Zymol for protecting, I'd like to discover another product that's geared towards shining. I found a write-up online for something called a Black Fire treatment. No clue what it is, but it looks great.

Anyway, my only other inexperience is with a good cloth. I use some crappy MF cloths that constantly leave holograms on my windows and on the body in spots. I'd like to find a better cloth to use that wont leave streaks or stupid holograms on my windows. BTW, on my windows, I clean with Rain-X, followed by waxing the exterior of the window, followed by another wipe-down with Rain-X again. Obviously I don't wax the interior of the windows. Though the holograms do appear from the outside of the windshield when I first do the car, they're gone by the first rain storm, or wash. After that, I'm only left with holograms on the interior of the windshield. I should also add that my holograms are only visible when in direct sunlight, where they appear to float on the interior of the windshield. I feel like I'm tripping on acid.

So my questions are as followed:

What are some popular (PROFESSIONAL) and long-lasting polishing waxes?

What cloths do you use on your paint and windows that do not leave holograms?
OR, How the hell do I get rid of those damn holograms on my windshield?

Sorry for the long-ass message.

beckler
10-01-2012, 06:19 AM
I'd also like suggestions on what type of polisher I should be using, along with pads, as I have no experience in polishers and pad brands.

Vegas Transplant
10-01-2012, 07:06 AM
For detailing, I use meguires compound and Zymol show-car wax. IMO, Meguires is the best compound. When it comes to compound however, I'm not too experienced with what I'm doing. (Though I'm good at making it look like I know...) When applying compound, I use some cheap-ass variable speed gigantic wheel. (Some chinese brand).

Indisputably the best...but with its own issues, of course.
Also, you must be extremely proficient to finish down to LSP with 105/rotary...kudos to you forum friend!

Zymol is a teriffic product. Their wax is not available in stores. Though in my experience, Zymol (at least the model wax I use) is less of a shining wax and more of a protectant. My wax usually lasts 4 to 6 months on the car. Though I dont plan to give up my Zymol for protecting, I'd like to discover another product that's geared towards shining. I found a write-up online for something called a Black Fire treatment. No clue what it is, but it looks great.

Collinite 845

Anyway, my only other inexperience is with a good cloth. I use some crappy MF cloths that constantly leave holograms on my windows and on the body in spots. I'd like to find a better cloth to use that wont leave streaks or stupid holograms on my windows. BTW, on my windows, I clean with Rain-X, followed by waxing the exterior of the window, followed by another wipe-down with Rain-X again. Obviously I don't wax the interior of the windows. Though the holograms do appear from the outside of the windshield when I first do the car, they're gone by the first rain storm, or wash. After that, I'm only left with holograms on the interior of the windshield. I should also add that my holograms are only visible when in direct sunlight, where they appear to float on the interior of the windshield. I feel like I'm tripping on acid.

Holograms from wiping are from glass not being squeaky clean...rethink methodology/products.

So my questions are as followed:

What are some popular (PROFESSIONAL) and long-lasting polishing waxes?

I don't use polishing waxes...OPS is my go-to. Topped with OOS for incredible depth and gloss.

What cloths do you use on your paint and windows that do not leave holograms?
OR, How the hell do I get rid of those damn holograms on my windshield?

100 % cotton deep pile/loop towels for LSP.

Find a better product/process than Rain-X...glass must be near perfect, IMHO.

BTW, how do you clean your MF's...and are they pre-washed before use?

Sorry for the long-ass message.
Your language is reprehensible.

I'd also like suggestions on what type of polisher I should be using, along with pads, as I have no experience in polishers and pad brands.

Any DA will suit your needs...LC makes great pads...I would never suggest MF pads to someone not comfortable with MF's in the first place.

Happy detailing... :autowash:

SuperGlide
10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Welcome from Ohio

vet
10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Welcome!

beckler
10-01-2012, 05:22 PM
VT, thank you for taking all your time in writing that great information!! To answer your MF question, I have washed them in detergent, i used a bit of bleach at one point. I treat them like regular clothes. (Which I've realized isn't the right way). What type of way should they be cleaned?

Also, what is LSP? I also don't understand what you mean by 105/rotary. OPS and OOS I also don't understand. I'm guessing that's a brand. I do like MF clothes, but for some reason mine just suck. I'm guessing it's all the wrong ways I've washed them. What is a GREAT MF manufacturer/product?

Thank you again!!!

Vegas Transplant
10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I think that the bleach makes the fibers "hard", but I've never used that process.

Oodles of threads on MF (towels) care.

From the store page: Microfiber Care Guide, Clean Cobra Microfiber Towels, Applicators & Tools with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent. Clean & dry microfiber (http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html)

Stictly a wash in warm with Tide myself...no dryer for me.

LSP: Last Step Product. Be it wax, sealant, coating, QD, etc.

OPS =Optimum Poly Seal
OOS= Optimum Opti-Seal

When you stated in your thread starter:
I use some cheap*** variable speed gigantic wheel

Wheel=rotary polisher/buffer

105/rotary: I interpreted gigantic wheel and Meguiars M105

Which Megs compound are you using?

Vegas Transplant
10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/55788-good-otc-microfiber-towels.html

I use 80/20 at minimum on paint...never for LSP.
Look at the tag before you rip it off. If states 70/30 you will probably see towelling marks.

Learn About Microfiber. Microfiber towels & tools are the future of car care detailing! (http://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html)

^^^^^^
From the above marketing: "When looking for a Microfiber cloth or towel bear in mind that less density of fiber, translate into less cleaning power and far less durability. The less dense cloths are also more abrasive to delicate surfaces. Look for at least 200,000 fibers per square inch of fabric. At over 200,000 fibers per square inch of fabric, boasting the maximum density commercially available, you’ll get all the cleaning power you need with the Pinnacle Miracle Towel; an amazing cleaner that is lint free and safe to use on all surfaces. An outstanding 70/30-polyester/polyamide blend makes the Pinnacle Miracle Towel the finest microfiber towel available! Don’t forget to use the Glass Cleaning Cloth for all your glass cleaning tasks. With over 200,000 strands of fiber per square inch, and a super absorbant 80/20-polyester/polyamide blend, it remains unmatched in lint-free, streak-free glass cleaning perfection!"

beckler
10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Great stuff VT, thanks again!!!

I'm using a 12-Cut compound from Megs. I don't recall the actual model number. I then follow up with a lighter cut, 2 or 1 to get the heavy-cut's swirls out, and then after the compound, I use the Zymol wax.

When I'm applying compound, I use the buffer with a cotton pad. Once the wax appears to be fully worked, I take it off with a wool pad. I spray 49-Body-Shine lightly in the area to creat some lubricant. 49-BS is just a basic cleaner. Once the compound appears to be fully removed, then I follow up with the next lighter compound and repeat the clean step. I try my best not to cross contaminate the different compound cuts for obvious reasons. Once I'm down to a very light cut/polish, I don't want any trace of the previous 12-cut which might make additional swirls.

After compound, I go directly to Zymol, which is my LSP.

So VT, what do you do? What are your steps?

Also, what does "DA" stand for in DA Polisher?

darkangelism
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Dual action, it rotates and moves side to side at the same time.

Vegas Transplant
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Great stuff VT, thanks again!!!

I'm using a 12-Cut compound from Megs. I don't recall the actual model number. I then follow up with a lighter cut, 2 or 1 to get the heavy-cut's swirls out, and then after the compound, I use the Zymol wax.

When I'm applying compound, I use the buffer with a cotton pad. Once the wax appears to be fully worked, I take it off with a wool pad. I spray 49-Body-Shine lightly in the area to creat some lubricant. 49-BS is just a basic cleaner. Once the compound appears to be fully removed, then I follow up with the next lighter compound and repeat the clean step. I try my best not to cross contaminate the different compound cuts for obvious reasons. Once I'm down to a very light cut/polish, I don't want any trace of the previous 12-cut which might make additional swirls.

After compound, I go directly to Zymol, which is my LSP.

So VT, what do you do? What are your steps?

Please do not take offense, but this post is hilarious:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks for making my day!!!

Test spot determines the process.

But I will say that the forum guru states,"find something you like...and use it often".
If you are happy with your process and end results, who am I to say otherwise?

Happy detailing...:autowash:

beckler
10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Please do not take offense, but this post is hilarious:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks for making my day!!!

Test spot determines the process.

But I will say that the forum guru states,"find something you like...and use it often".
If you are happy with your process and end results, who am I to say otherwise?

I don't get it.. How was that funny?

I'm asking you how you do things because that's how you learn. You don't learn by finding something you like to do and using it often. You learn by finding out how everybody else does things, sharing ideas, tips and tricks, and taking what you can from their practices. Otherwise why would this forum exist? Am I wrong?