PDA

View Full Version : Lurker around Memphis, TN

mullet
09-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I've been lurking around here for quite some time, finally decided to sign up, and now finally decided to make an intro.

I started my detailing life around '03 after I totalled a 4 month old Sentra SE-R SpecV and bought a 93 Prelude. I had a few paint issues taken care of and got the bug. A borrowed PC 7424, and some pads and liquids I can't seem to remember right now and I was off to a show. Ended up with a few trophies for that car before I threw a turbo on and fried the engine a few months later. It's still sitting in my back yard waiting for me to rebuild it one day, but now has some clear failure as a result of sitting outside for years.

Since then (around '06) I got a 2001 Dakota that I kept nice for a while but not quite to the same level as the Prelude. It suffered from some unholy clear coat peeling over time and I determined it had been repainted badly before it was mine. I gave up on worrying too much about that one and sold it a few months ago with about an entire side lacking clear.

While I had that truck, I received a 98 Mazda 626 from my in-laws so I would have something to haul the kids around in. 2 kids and a wife don't quite fit in a standard cab pickup. The Mazda was in pretty bad shape and had around 270k miles when I got it. It cleaned up pretty good and got a good hand wash every now and then but nothing I cared too much about.

And now, with the mileage steadily climbing and my commute being about 40 miles to work from home (live in a suburb of Memphis almost to the county line but work downtown), and the A/C going out on the 626 in a southern summer, I'm in a 2011 Tempest Blue Jetta SE. If you've seen the TB VW's, you'll know they have some nice pearl on a nice dark blue. The addiction begins again!

The Jetta has typical year old, not properly cared for swirls. For now it stays outside almost 24/7 but I'm working on clearing out the garage so we can use it for what it was supposed to be used for again. When I get to that point I'll be buying more to get the paint the way I want it. For now it gets a 2 bucket wash with some DG901 and some Aquawax since it's readily available to me.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I look forward to reading and gaining as much knowledge as possible.

Flash Gordon
09-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Welcome neighbor. If I can help you let me know

RMM
09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
:welcome: to AGO!

rider9195
09-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!!

Memphis_Blue
09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Welcome fellow Memphian!

Bill1234
09-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Welcome, if you have rough idiling or poor fuel economy I would seafoam your vehicle

mullet
09-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome neighbor. If I can help you let me know

I see St. Jude in your sig. Do you work there or just support them? Either way, it's a great place that does great things.

Welcome fellow Memphian!
Thanks for the welcome. Good to see a few others from around here.

What areas of the city are you guys in?

Welcome, if you have rough idiling or poor fuel economy I would seafoam your vehicle

Seafoam is good stuff. Not for anything I have at the moment (besides the wife's Jeep maybe) The Mazda I spoke of runs just fine but 100+ degree temps and a long commute aren't fun without A/C. The Prelude doesn't run and the Jetta isn't even due for its 20k service yet.

Funny enough though...when I got the Mazda it actually did idle VERY rough. Ended up being a worn out intake manifold gasket from sitting for about a year and a half. 30 minutes and a gasket later and it ran like a champ.

tuscarora dave
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice intro...Welcome to the site.

Flash Gordon
09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I see St. Jude in your sig. Do you work there or just support them? Either way, it's a great place that does great things.

No I do not work for St Jude. Yes I do support them. I am a neurosurgeon by trade, but when that business is slow I detail cars on the side. If I can ever help you with either just let me know http://adamsforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bf-sunglasswinksmiley.gif

Flash Gordon
09-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Nice intro...Welcome to the site.

What do you expect Dave, he is from Memphis http://adamsforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bf-sunglasswinksmiley.gif

Chris's FX4
09-27-2012, 11:03 PM
:welcome:

Mike Phillips
09-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Great introduction! You're going to fit in fine here...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

sproketser
10-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Welcome aboard .