PDA

View Full Version : Good OTC Microfiber Towels?

Pages : [1] 2

HomerGuy
09-27-2012, 08:10 AM
I just recently purchased a new F150 in Silver. My first time with a silver vehicle, and although the silver seems to hide a lot of sins, I still want to take good care of it.

I ordered and received some items from AG this week, but completely forgot to include some towels in the order.

I need to wash it this weekend, and don't have time to order any microfiber towels online and wait for shipping. Just need something for drying and then general purpose interior. Can you recommend anything that is available OTC? We have Advance Auto, O'Rielly Auto, AutoZone, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

So many options that I am overwhelmed. Thank you!

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Pep Boys seems to have a decent assortment of towels, IIRC the pricing isn't that great, but they have everything including waffle weaves. If you're just looking for general-purpose towels, the orange ones at Target are OK. Also, you can find some decent towels sometimes at Wal-Mart.

KneeDragr
09-27-2012, 08:31 AM
I get the bulk packs at BJs - 24 towels for 7$.

I dont use them on paint though. I only use premium ones on paint, like Cobra or Chemical Guys.

The Moose
09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I've heard that SAMs club has some good ones but can't be sure. Pep boys and autozone are okay. I'd get the "bulk" towels on the 24 for $20 package and a couple of the plusher autospa or carrand towels that are usually stocked there and a waffle. The prices on the "premium" towels aren't great so just get enough to get by. And make sure you get the tags off.

cplchris
09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
pep boys for sure, the autospa ones mad by carrand are great for spray wax and quick detailers, and they recently started carrying barret jackson car care products, made by a company called farecla and theyre stuff is awesome, they have a pack of polish and wax applicators as well as individual microfibers which are good for spreading quick detailers and removing waxes, but like setec said the prices arent anything to brag about

Klasse Act
09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah Griot's Garage MF towels are available at Advance Auto now, check em' out, they've got several different types for whatever you need:dblthumb2:

Kinalyx
09-27-2012, 10:09 AM
While you're there, take a look at the employees face when you buy "expensive" car wash stuff. I got some of the Griots items last time i was in, and the kid behind the counter looked at me like i was crazy, and informed me that there are "much cheaper items than these". I replied with a "theres a reason that theyre cheaper" and told him to ring me up.

Shawn

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
While you're there, take a look at the employees face when you buy "expensive" car wash stuff. I got some of the Griots items last time i was in, and the kid behind the counter looked at me like i was crazy, and informed me that there are "much cheaper items than these". I replied with a "theres a reason that theyre cheaper" and told him to ring me up.

That reminds me of the time I was in Poop Boys and was just having a look at the detailing stuff and there were two kids hemming and hawing over whether to buy the $8 bottle of wax or the $10...forget the $16 or $20 for the OTC stuff we would dismiss here as junk.

On another note, you have to take guff from the cashier for buying expensive stuff, but then some of them wouldn't sell us the 5 cent clay???

cplchris
09-27-2012, 10:35 AM
another idea would be to check any local auto body supply shops, the one i go to stock a good selection of high quality products, as well as bulk products that an express car wash would use

tuscarora dave
09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
another idea would be to check any local auto body supply shops, the one i go to stock a good selection of high quality products, as well as bulk products that an express car wash would use
I get towels from these places in a pinch too, some actually have some really nice towels that they think are expensive. The one local place near me has a made in Taiwan 70/30 plush towel, the guy at the register cringed and said "They are $10.99 for 4 towels" I smiled and told him that it was OK.

RMM
09-27-2012, 03:40 PM
...recently started carrying barret jackson car care products, made by a company called farecla and theyre stuff is awesome...

Farécla, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile...It was highly regarded some years ago!

6supersport7
09-27-2012, 03:45 PM
The sams club is the best otc mf's I have found. 36pk for around 15 bucks I think. I have used them on black paint with out any issues. With that said, I still use my higher quality mf's for touching paint.

FishyX
09-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah Griot's Garage MF towels are available at Advance Auto now, check em' out, they've got several different types for whatever you need:dblthumb2:

I picked up a few of the light green Griots at AA the other day. Really nice towels!!!

SilverHawk
09-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I bought the orange 8 pack at Target they had for $5 bucks. Used them again today on my White Silverado with Lucas spray mist wax. Plus on my cousins 2011 Dark Blue F 150. He liked the look of the Lucas on his truck.

richy
09-28-2012, 01:15 PM
+1 on Target. My favourite drying towel is from them. $8 for a big one, very soft. Gray in colour and hangs on a orange cardboard holder while on display. They also make a smaller size which is great for wheels.