PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers and Glass Cleaner

Mike Phillips
09-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Newspapers and Glass Cleaner (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/55784-newspapers-glass-cleaner.html)

Found something I wrote on MOL years ago on the topic of how people and detailers always recommend using newspaper to clean glass windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper, paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of printed information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass.

Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

:)

DCOutdoors
09-27-2012, 06:52 AM
As a kid (lots and lots of years ago), one of my chores were to wash and clean the family cars. I was told to use newspapers not because of the cleaning factor but rather that it kept the inside of the windows from fogging! If this was true and the ink played a part in this phenomenon, then it may or may not be true today due to the changes made in the ink... Who knows...

Bunky
09-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

Agreed.

One of the primary motivations for this approach and lot of other "glass towel" ideas seems to be the quest for tools and techniques that leads to a quick repeatable free finish.

Finemess
09-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I've often wondered how this started to. I've done it many times over the years,yes it works but also it stains the A-pillar trim with ink. Thats why I stopped doing it.

Flash Gordon
09-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I use newspapers all the time to clean glass

Regards,

Cheesecloth and Driving around with wax on my car letting it bake in the Sun for 6 hours

Gunslinger
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Years ago I worked at an RV sales and service business. We routinely used newspapers to clean glass...particularly at RV shows. Using newspaper left no streaks.

I understand in the years since newspaper ink and paper composition has changed so that may not be applicable anymore.

brianshaeffer
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
I used to used newspaper as well. I had read that newspaper worked because the ink acted as a polish. I always got streak-free glass. However, about 10 years ago, the local papers switched to soy-based ink (better for the environment I suppose). At that point, use of newspaper no longer provided any benefit, especially since microfiber towels were starting to become available.

Ray@Autogeek
09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I use newspapers all the time to clean glass

Regards,

Cheesecloth and Driving around with wax on my car letting it bake in the Sun for 6 hours

:laughing: Don't forget about Canola Oil on the dash, nothing compares to that Canola gloss :laughing:

FUNX650
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
During the current:
'difficult economic times', I've re-discovered a better use for newspapers...
(especially their Business-sections)
...other than for wiping crap off auto-glass.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/outhouse-wipe.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50104)

Alas...No more Sear's catalogues:

"Hey Buddy Can You Spare Me Your WSJ"?!?!

Bob

tuscarora dave
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
During the current:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/outhouse-wipe.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50104)

Bob
LOL...It took me a minute...I always get a "crapload" of enjoyment out of your posts Bob...:laughing:

Dr Oldz
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Been there, tried it and it didn't work for me. I have heard that the reason newspaper isn't effective any longer is due to the fact Linotype is no longer used in newspaper. True or not, I don't know....

RMM
09-27-2012, 03:48 PM
As a kid, and taking care of my parents' cars, I always used newspaper: that's how my father did it and I didn't question it. But...it worked!

During the current:

Bob

:laughing:

dcjredline
09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
That is the method we used in the Marines to clean windows and mirrors in the barracks. Completely streak free with little effort. As we used to like to say it was "Marine proof" even a dumb Marine couldnt mess it up. Let me tell you the inspections we had every Thursday night were VERY tough and not getting hit for having a streak on your bathroom mirror or windows was a big plus! They had PLENTY of other things to mess with us about though.