PDA

View Full Version : New car with no swirls, is polishing really needed?

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm thinking of going over my car with HD Advanced Polish or M205, but how will that help? There's no swirls. FYI, I've never worked on any car with no swirls. If I decide to, should I use a polishing or finishing pad?

rider9195
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
I feel that you can always get some extra gloss out of paint on a new car. I would use something less abrasive than M205 though. Or just use a pad that is less aggressive than a black pad.

TroyScherer
09-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Mark, I would try HD Polish on a finishing pad if everything is already perfect. I would do a test stop just to see if you can increase the gloss?!?!?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Mark, I would try HD Polish on a finishing pad if everything is already perfect. I would do a test stop just to see if you can increase the gloss?!?!?
Hi Troy, I'll definitely do a test spot. However, since my car is silver, not sure how much more noticeable gloss I could get?

Eandras
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
In stead of an an abrasive polish why not use a chemical polish like Poorboys Pro Polish 2 with a grey pad. It will brighten the paint. Then add your favorite sealant and wax.

Ed

Rsurfer
09-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking of going over my car with HD Advanced Polish or M205, but how will that help? There's no swirls. FYI, I've never worked on any car with no swirls. If I decided to, should I use a polishing or finishing pad?
Hey Mark, I thought you died and went to heaven. Did you IX and clayed? For jeweling I would use a finishing pad, but there's no sense in jeweling dirty paint.:xyxthumbs:

TroyScherer
09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Troy, I'll definitely do a test spot. However, since my car is silver, not sure how much more noticeable gloss I could get?

Same reason I said test spot. If it doesn't make any difference then just stop.

I know that HD Polish has done some great stuff for me. But I haven't tried it on perfect silver yet.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
In stead of an an abrasive polish why not use a chemical polish like Poorboys Pro Polish 2 with a grey pad. It will brighten the paint. Then add your favorite sealant and wax.

Ed
Ed, that's a great idea. That will deep clean the paint. Not much else I can do with silver.

Hey Mark, I thought you died and went to heaven. Did you IX and clayed? For jeweling I would use a finishing pad, but there's no sense in jeweling dirty paint.:xyxthumbs:
LOL, Ron! Still here my friend! I've been busy with other new stuff in my life, but I'm back!

Yes, IX'd and clayed. :dblthumb2:

Rsurfer
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
What's your take on the new coatings, would you use them on your ride or would you stick with the traditional sealants and waxes?

Hoytman
09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow...I was wonderin' where you've been as well. Hi Mark!

After seeing some of rwright's work on white paint as well as a few others (richy) I'm inclined to tell you to use exactly what they used...which proved to amp up the gloss of white which is hard to do...and use a finishing pad with some 501/601 mixed 4:1. I haven't seen anything amp up the gloss on white quite like that Duragloss combination. Silver would be a no brainer from what I've seen.

From the opinions of many on this site it seems nothing cleans quite like Duragloss products, specifically 501. The sealant in these products is touted as 2nd to none.

Now, the 501 may not be needed so you might try another, less aggressive combination from Duragloss like 105/601. I know you probably have these products on hand, so it would be easy to do comparing tests spots with other products you might have in mind.

Good to see ya' back posting my friend. How's mom doing?

ski2
09-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Mark--have you thought about possibly using HD Speed instead of HD Polish?? My 6 year old Passat (hard clear) had very minor wash induced marring and my original plan was to use HD UNO, but then decided to give HD Speed a try in the interest of less aggressive first. With a B&S Orange pad (because of the hard clear) the results were stunning on Granite Green which is very light--very much like silver-removed the minor marring and really amped up the gloss. With a less aggressive pad perhaps you might get the gloss enhancement you are looking for--then just top with your favorite LSP.

tuscarora dave
09-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Mark, I can't really add anything to this thread other than a favorite of mine for glossing up any color non swirled paint. "Optimum Finish" Other than that, Just wanted to say Hi.

Dr Oldz
09-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Ed

You do know Pro Polish 2 HAS abrasives in it........right?

TroyScherer
09-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Umm.... No I did not....

Thanks Doc

tuscarora dave
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Yeah it does have abrasives in it (non-diminishing), plus a pretty aggressive chemical cleaner too. The Pro polish original is pretty much just a chemical polish but it gets the work done too. Can't believe I missed that "2" in the above comments. The "Secret Goo" Rocks!!!