PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing options

SON1C
09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I have a gg..
What are my options for pads and glass polishes?
5 and 6 inch backing plates

TornadoRed
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Griot's has 6 inch glass pads for the stock backing plate available from AG. I've used them with the Griot's Glass Polish on a few cars. Works pretty good on water spots. Don't expect much else with that combo.

rider9195
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Lake Country Glass Polishing Pads with CarPro CeriGlass removes light wiper marks and water spots. You could also just use regular products you use on your paint as well.

Setec Astronomy
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Well...there used to be a Diamondite polish that actually worked (with a rotary, anyway), but they don't sell that anymore.

There is the Carpro Ceriglass which theoretically is similar, but I've heard enough horror stories here to scare me off of it.

If you are going to use a DA, if it were me, starting over, I'd go with the "sandpaper" solution. If you google for some pro glass polishing supply places, you will find some that sell a range of special sandpapers from coarse to fine and then a polishing disc. The place I found had 3M papers, but I don't think that's really the primary application that 3M makes that for.

I don't think you'll ever see Autogeek selling anything like that because it would be too easy to frost your whole windshield over with the coarse paper, and take a long time to bring it back from that.

Darvetis
09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I've used the 6" GG glass polishing pads with Ceriglass to remove waterpots, road film, wiper marks, and minor scratches from my windshield.

First time using rotary, and glass looked super after completion

:xyxthumbs:

SON1C
09-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah I'm looking to remove wiper marks and even more so the marks on the side windows from the dew wipe

AutowerxDetailing
09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Lake Country Glass Polishing Pads with CarPro CeriGlass removes light wiper marks and water spots. You could also just use regular products you use on your paint as well.

I've used the 6" GG glass polishing pads with Ceriglass to remove waterpots, road film, wiper marks, and minor scratches from my windshield.

First time using rotary, and glass looked super after completion

:xyxthumbs:

+1 for CeriGlass. It's great stuff. I think most of the horror stories stem from the glass cutting (not polishing) pads...

CEE DOG
09-27-2012, 09:12 AM
+1 for CeriGlass. It's great stuff. I think most of the horror stories stem from the glass cutting (not polishing) pads...

I agree, it works as advertised.

FUNX650
09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I have a gg..
What are my options for pads and glass polishes?
5 and 6 inch backing plates

Going to be difficult to remove (abrade) much auto-glass-material without a rotary and a real good cerium-oxide glass-polish...IMHO.

Good Luck though.

:)

Bob

CEE DOG
09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree with my friend Bob! it is time consuming to fully remove them with a DA but in my testing with the 3401 it is capable. Not sure the time it takes is worth the cost it would take to simply replace the shield though. Depends on depth of scratches, cost of shield, value of time per person etc. I suppose. Much faster by rotary for sure