PDA

View Full Version : 12volt rv pump wash system

jgibson2980
09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone i have a mobile detail set up .
I currently use a preasure washer . I have been tring to research on how to make a 12 volt rv , surflo, or flojet wash setup . if anyone can help with info or pics it would be great

dschia
09-26-2012, 12:47 AM
You will need a 12v battery, pump, water tank, hose, hose gun and adaptors to hook them up. Depending on your requirement, some of the things to consider:

Battery
Amp - Determines how long you going to run them before charging again. From what i know, lifepo4 or deep cycle battery doesnt like deep dischange so charging often will helps preserving the battery life.

Weight - Determines portability (permanent fixture or moving your setup around) and type of battery use (Lifepo4 or lead acid or lithium ion etc)

I tired both deep cycle lead acid and a Lifepo4. Deep cycle battery generally are more economical but weights 4 times or more heavier. Lifepo4 supposingly has better charge cycle but ultimately it depends on the battery quality.

Pump
Power - Pump with higher flow rate generally uses more wattage. E.g 120watt pump should to able run a full 12v 10ah battery for 1hour. So you may need to think of how long are you going to run your pump continously.

Flow rate - High flow rate obviously has better chance to rinse the car better, but it draws water quicker as well, so do consider are you drawing water from a tank on a fix location or do you need to drag the setup around. Are you trying to rinse the car or just using it as a waterless wash?

Hose
Hose Diameter - With thinner hose, the flow rate is lesser but you get increase pressure. I prefer a setup using 8mm-12mm hose for a 60-120watt pump. Just change the hose gun spray pattern for different purpose. E.g mist pattern with higher pressure to wash wheels etc.

Hose Length - Longer hose gives you a better distance but it also takes you longer to pack the hose. Also, more water will be trap in the hose making it heavier so you may need to consider is the setup going to be fix in your van, or do you need to push it around. Basically is about striking a balance between what you want to achieve and how efficient you want it to be.

Hose gun
Determines the spray pattern and pressure. If you are using the pump with chemical (waterlesswash etc), find one that is more chemical resistent.

jgibson2980
09-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I am tring to use this in a fixed location. I already have a preasure washer that is 2.3 gpm and 2600 psi. It is gas powerd so i have to pull start it all the time about 2 times a car . I would like to try a 12 volt pump the is cotinus feed so it want burn out and i can just turn on and use it when needed . The peasure washer is nice but it alil over haul i think . Plus pullling the starter all day get old and the noise i already hve the generator . any info would be great

Ryansdetailing
09-26-2012, 08:22 PM
I currently use a Briggs and Stratton 2700 psi pressure washer (2.3 gpm) my pump is a on demand by-pass pump that's used on pesticide sprayers made by delavan (purchased at tractor supply), it is 12volt dc 2.3 gpm and it is ran by a regular mid size car battery. I plug in the battery every couple days to a trickle charger and never had the battery die on me. Where the water exits the pump, I have a valve we turn on and off to stop the flow of water which turns the pump off when traveling. The hose running from my tank to the pump and PW is a regular garden hose.

You definitely want to go with a on demand pump. They're very simple and small. When you squeeze the trigger on the hose gun the pump turns on and supplies water, when you let it go the pump turns off and doesnt supply water. It would be nearly impossible to burn up the pump on the PW using this setup.

jgibson2980
09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Im tring to not use the peassure washer at all. Just an rv style pump . what kind of pump is used on a right look low pressure system .

dschia
09-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Im tring to not use the peassure washer at all. Just an rv style pump . what kind of pump is used on a right look low pressure system .

If you are looking to replace a pressure washer with a RV pump, you may need to go for at least a 120watt pump. I have tested 4 different china pumps, 1 is junk, 2 of it running at 60watt but produce a slight variation in flow rate, and another at 120watts. 60watts is generally okay (iirc- nomad's pump is running close to that wattage), but it is slow to rinse horizontal surface, or will struggle with some soaps that starts to dry off. Excellent for waterless wash though IF the pump is chemical resistance.

120watt pump gets the job done for me but it sucks water like nobody business. Not so nice if you are using it as a portable setup with a 25L water container.

I dint use the Sureflo pumps so unfortunately i couldn't help, but they do look much better in quality. Also, do consider using switches for easy control of power.

215Detailing
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
You will need a 12v battery, pump, water tank, hose, hose gun and adaptors to hook them up. Depending on your requirement, some of the things to consider:

Battery
Amp - Determines how long you going to run them before charging again. From what i know, lifepo4 or deep cycle battery doesnt like deep dischange so charging often will helps preserving the battery life.

Weight - Determines portability (permanent fixture or moving your setup around) and type of battery use (Lifepo4 or lead acid or lithium ion etc)

I tired both deep cycle lead acid and a Lifepo4. Deep cycle battery generally are more economical but weights 4 times or more heavier. Lifepo4 supposingly has better charge cycle but ultimately it depends on the battery quality.

Pump
Power - Pump with higher flow rate generally uses more wattage. E.g 120watt pump should to able run a full 12v 10ah battery for 1hour. So you may need to think of how long are you going to run your pump continously.

Flow rate - High flow rate obviously has better chance to rinse the car better, but it draws water quicker as well, so do consider are you drawing water from a tank on a fix location or do you need to drag the setup around. Are you trying to rinse the car or just using it as a waterless wash?

Hose
Hose Diameter - With thinner hose, the flow rate is lesser but you get increase pressure. I prefer a setup using 8mm-12mm hose for a 60-120watt pump. Just change the hose gun spray pattern for different purpose. E.g mist pattern with higher pressure to wash wheels etc.

Hose Length - Longer hose gives you a better distance but it also takes you longer to pack the hose. Also, more water will be trap in the hose making it heavier so you may need to consider is the setup going to be fix in your van, or do you need to push it around. Basically is about striking a balance between what you want to achieve and how efficient you want it to be.

Hose gun
Determines the spray pattern and pressure. If you are using the pump with chemical (waterlesswash etc), find one that is more chemical resistent.

Nice write up do you have any photos :Picture: