PDA

View Full Version : swirlx follow up

stangfreak
09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you have to follow up with another product after using meguire's swirlx remover? or can you just top it off with a wax or sealent.

AutowerxDetailing
09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Depends.... How does you paint look? Swirl-X is similar to M205 which is considered a finishing polish. Depending on what type of wax/sealant/coating you are applying you may want to strip the paint with something like IPA or CarPro Eraser. Otherwise, you should be LSP ready.

timaishu
09-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Swirlx is fine for a finishing step.

I did my whole car initally with ultimate compound/swirlx.

davey g-force
09-25-2012, 01:14 AM
I agree with Nicholas.

You don't "have to" do anything. If your paint is hazed after the SwirlX (unlikely as SwirlX is not very aggressive) then yes, you can follow it up with a finer polish or AIO.

Or, if you just want to take the paint to the next level, you may want to follow up with a pure polish such as M07.

But generally speaking, you should be good to go onto your LSP following SwirlX.

stangfreak
09-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I thought swirlx was non abrasive? I was going to use a DA machine with polishes but I don't want to play around with the machine. Id like to remove the swirl marks by hand. would you guys recommend any other process to remove swirls by hand? The car really isnt that bad. I don't want to go crazy.

davey g-force
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
SwirlX is very mildly abrasive - it's a finishing polish similar to M205 (actually slightly more aggressive than M205).

I would try the SwirlX by hand on a test spot and see if that gives you the results you're after. If anything, it will be too mild to remove swirls by hand and you may have to step it up a bit..

stangfreak
09-25-2012, 05:43 PM
SwirlX is very mildly abrasive - it's a finishing polish similar to M205 (actually slightly more aggressive than M205).

I would try the SwirlX by hand on a test spot and see if that gives you the results you're after. If anything, it will be too mild to remove swirls by hand and you may have to step it up a bit..

ok cool. I know you mentioned it will cause a haze? I was even looking at griots fine hand polish as well.

primo spaghetti
09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
removing swirls by hand = :surrender:

DaveT435
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
You would rather remove swirls by hand than with a machine??

primo spaghetti
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
no...that symbol means i surrender...as in why on gods green earth would i want to remove swirls by hand.

maybe i shoulda said removing swirls by hand =:doh:

stangfreak
09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
no...that symbol means i surrender...as in why on gods green earth would i want to remove swirls by hand.

maybe i shoulda said removing swirls by hand =:doh:

because I feel like it. But that's a pretty cool story, please, tell it again...

stangfreak
09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
You would rather remove swirls by hand than with a machine??

I have no response for you. You drive a camaro.

Baconz2012
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
because I feel like it. But that's a pretty cool story, please, tell it again...

Removing swirls by hand is a lot tougher than machine, but after all it is your choice. But I think in order to actually get anything done you might need a more aggressive polish like Ultimate compound. It did a good job on my malibu, but you have your work cut out for you.