PDA

View Full Version : CCS Foam Pad from eBay: Fake, Imitation, Counterfeit?

Pages : [1] 2

Trey T
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Hello everybody!

I just purchased a 4" foam pad that was advertised as "Lake Country 4 Inch Orange Cutting Foam Pad CCS" but through comparison to my 7" CCS orange foam pad, there are two things that are different:

1. the recess/dent holes is different. it's a ring not a dent, looks like someone put an imprint prior shipping instead of during the foam construction at the factory.
2. the color is slightly off, lighter.

Please see attachment. I stacked the 4" pad on top of the 7" pad.

Second photo is up-close of 4" pad

DaveT435
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't know...the dent holes are pretty uniform. They may be a little different on the smaller pads...does the texture feel like the 7 inch pad?

Then there is the difference in the color too???

Trey T
09-24-2012, 10:31 PM
I didn't pay close attention to the feel of the foam.

It's actually not very uniform. Not sure if it suppose to happen but couple of the ring just turns flat when I rub it back and forth.

I want to see if any mod can chime in since they handle a lot of LC pads. I don't want to conclude anything yet.

Setec Astronomy
09-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I want to see if any mod can chime in since they handle a lot of LC pads. I don't want to conclude anything yet.

I'm sure if a mod chimes in he/she will tell you if you want a genuine LC pad, buy it from Autogeek, not from eBay.

These are manufactured items with tolerances, etc. Perhaps a different tool is used for the smaller pads, with different dimple definition, or perhaps it was more worn, or not at the same temperature, maybe the foam was a slightly different density (within tolerance).

AutowerxDetailing
09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I have a bunch of 5.5" and 4" CCS pads. As far as I can tell from the pics they look legit to me.

boogiejoe
09-25-2012, 06:38 AM
They could be factory seconds.

Mike Phillips
09-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Those look legit, with any manufacturing process there can variance in uniformity for example when you fire up a machine or process on a Monday morning after everything has been shut down all weekend...

:)

Danube
09-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Are these with de-lamination issues like LC pads or any better?!

Trey T
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I bought it for under 6 bucks per 4" pad. I'll give it a try and see if those ring will be flatten out or not but i'm afraid it's going to happen. I mean, just by rubbing it last night, the ring is getting lost.

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I bought it for under 6 bucks per 4" pad. I'll give it a try and see if those ring will be flatten out or not but i'm afraid it's going to happen. I mean, just by rubbing it last night, the ring is getting lost.

Well, caveat emptor. You could have but them right here for "under 6 bucks per 4" pad": 4 inch CCS Spot Buffs Orange Pads 2 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/orange-4-inch-spot-buff.html)

Nick McKees37
09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I know of a place that sells genuine Lake Country pads of all shapes, sizes and types. :dblthumb2:

Autogeek.net - Lake Country (http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html)

Bigbull2984
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Those look legit, the holes on the larger pads differ a bit than the smaller ones.

Trey T
09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't see why they would change the design just because the diameter is smaller. The stock photos on AG and their website appear to have the same CCS design with actual recess holes NOT rings.

Can someone show me a photo of their CCS 3" or 4"?

Trey T
09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Well I have tested it out using M205 and works great like any other cheap foam pad out there. The foam pad turns pretty much flat, NO pocket/dent/dimples. can't imagine using more aggressive compound. I'll get a good photo tonight after I get home.

CONCLUSION: FAKE! That's not the worst part, look at my email printscreen. Not sure if that's true or not. I asked for the guy's handler but he hasn't reply for 3 days now.

Setec Astronomy
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I didn't realize there was a market for counterfeiting CCS pads...kind of seems like the market for counterfeiting $1 bills....WHO WOULD DO IT??

About 90% of the members here hate the CCS pads, so again...WHO WOULD DO IT?? 90% of the members will tell you that you're better off if the dimples came out because now you have a flat pad.

An orange Hydro-Tech pad costs...THE SAME as a CCS pad. They don't sell the flat 4" LC pads here, that I can find, but it looks like maybe you can get them for $1 less than the CCS elsewhere, I can't really see how anyone could make money trying to put dimples in a flat pad to sell it as a CCS pad.

Pads are consumable items, they wear out, they tear, they get dirty. As a disposable item, sometimes they aren't perfect. How many times have members had velcro come off, a pad tear, etc? So you got one with imperfect dimples...and? If you're worried about getting "fake" pads, don't buy them from eBay.

Sorry, but this thread is really getting on my nerves. And what does it have to do with Autogeek, anyway?