PDA

View Full Version : Sealant over a Sealant?

HotRodJoe
09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I put a coat of M21 on my black show car and although it looks pretty decent, not sure it has the pop of some of my favs, like BFWD and UPP. Can I go ahead and stick one of these sealants right on top of the M21, or do I need to strip it?

HRJ

rider9195
09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
For proper bonding and maximum durability you would want to strip off the M21. But since it won't be a problem with just applying BFWD over it in my opinion.

Detail-Impressions
09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
For proper bonding and maximum durability you would want to strip off the M21. But since it won't be a problem with just applying BFWD over it in my opinion.

I have used serval different brand sealants on top of one another with out a problem.
IMO I would IPA wipe down and reapply sealant.

mwoolfso
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM

I got some serious whiplash reading this one. :-)

Sealant over sealant is OK but if you are going to put something like BFWD on as a second coat then it makes me wonder why you have M21 at all. :-)

HotRodJoe
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
My other thought was to try and salvage it with a wax as a LSP, ie Fuzion or BFMS. The M21 really isn't bad, just not quite as slick as I'm used to. But how much does that matter once the sealant is topped with a wax as an LSP?

HotRodJoe
09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Sealant over sealant is OK but if you are going to put something like BFWD on as a second coat then it makes me wonder why you have M21 at all. :-)

I have M21 because I was just trying something different before a car show later this week. Having tried that, now I'm thinking I maybe should have stuck with what I normally use. So my question is about how to proceed...typically, I wouldn't be doing this.

HotRodJoe
09-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, I hated to strip the M21 and didn't want anything weird to happen compatibility wise, so I went with a coat of Pete's 53 on the M21 and it looks great.

HRJ