PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...

subieguy2
09-24-2012, 08:22 AM
OK so I have been learning a lot about detailing thanks to this forum :)

I purchased a Porter Cable 7424 xp. Decided to give it a shot. I have been using it now for about 2 years I think. I am learning that every car is different. There are tips and tricks but to say do A, B, C every time to get a perfect detail doesn't happen.

So here is what I need help on. 2011 Subaru Forester...black. There are light swirls in the paint from the FREE dealership swirl-o-matic car wash with every oil change. So my friend asked if I could help. I have done many Subaru vehicles in the past...and said sure.

I know the paint is soft and the correction needed is minimal. Started out with a test spot on the hood. LC tangerine 4X1.25 pad and Meguiars M205. The correction was decent but could still see the swirls. So I did another section pass with the 205. Still see them. So I decided to do another small test area using Ultimate Compound which I know is pretty aggressive. It turned out PERFECT. So I proceed with the process. Front end completed and looks great. I start on the driver's side front door. Pull it out of the garage to check it and it looks like there is hologramming. So I use 205 to fine tune. (yes as I switch products I am switching pads and yes always using the LC tangerine). The holograms are still there. So I go pickup some Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and terry cloth application pads and try to buff them out by hand. No luck. Here is what it currently looks like....

http://i49.tinypic.com/11gppxd.jpg

:(
Sorry for the upside down iPhone pic...

I am planning on picking up some 3M Ultrafina and the Ultrafina blue pad today.

Wondered if anyone can give some advice. Maybe my technique is wrong...or some other suggestion?

Appreciate all the help and posts to help me continue to learn an addicting hobby for me

subieguy2
09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
3M Ultrafine....sorry

3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafine-polish-16oz.html)

statusdetailing
09-24-2012, 09:28 AM
I feel like those swirls and holograms may have already been there and you just weren't seeing them when the car was dusty and dirty...not sure. Meg's compound, tangerine pad, and a porter cable is not extremely aggressive in my opinion. Those holograms look like rotary, wool pad and compound swirls. Could just be the pic.

I would have started with a rotary, m105 and a yellow or wool pad, then followed it up with a rotary, m205 and a tangerine pad. You could also do another step with a white pad and the porter cable to really bring out the shine and remove any possible light holograms or swirls, but if any major holograms or swirls are still there it won't remove them.

ihaveacamaro
09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I know you are supposed to start with the least aggressive, but since you are having trouble with m205 and ultimate compound, have you tried the most aggressive approach on a PC: yellow pad and m105?

Dr Oldz
09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Are you sure those aren't towel marks from removing the polish?

subieguy2
09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I took the car to the local paint shop to see if they had something that would lead me in the right direction.

The guy came out to look at the car. Went in and grabbed a bottle of Malco Rejuvenator One Step Auto Paint Restoration 32 fl oz. He used a paper towel even and wiped a small test spot. Wiped it off.... Worked PERFECT. Did the entire car in the rejuvenator by hand and the car turned out great.

http://i46.tinypic.com/5xs9s9.jpg

Setec Astronomy
09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I've heard of standing on your head to get a job done...

It's likely that Malco is full of fillers...which may be why it came out "perfect" by hand.

subieguy2
09-24-2012, 09:25 PM
If anyone would like to see more about the product to advise on it, here is a link to the product from the manufacturer website...

Rejuvenatorâ„¢ One-Step Auto Paint Restoration (http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Rejuvenator__One_Step_Auto_Paint_Restoration-details.aspx)

rider9195
09-24-2012, 09:27 PM
It's likely that Malco is full of fillers...which may be why it came out "perfect" by hand.

I agree.

Use a slower speed and less aggressive pad. If all the swirls are gone, you only need to refine the surface. A black finishing pad with M205 on speed 4 should create a great finish.

RMM
09-24-2012, 09:33 PM

:iagree: You are being "glazed"...

Those marks look a lot like these:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20496-fingermarks.html

DaveT435
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM

+2 I agree also

statusdetailing
09-24-2012, 11:16 PM

Or like somebody else mentioned, maybe he just didn't get all the polish off. What we may be seeing are smudges and towel marks. He may have got the same effect as the Malco by going over everything agin with a quick detailer (I use onr) and a microfiber... or maybe washing again...just a wild guess. I agree, though that it's also possible that the stuff the body shop used could have worked as a filler.

AutowerxDetailing
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I took the car to the local paint shop to see if they had something that would lead me in the right direction.

The guy came out to look at the car. Went in and grabbed a bottle of Malco Rejuvenator One Step Auto Paint Restoration 32 fl oz. He used a paper towel even and wiped a small test spot. Wiped it off.... Worked PERFECT. Did the entire car in the rejuvenator by hand and the car turned out great.

:iagree: You are being "glazed"...

I am curious to see what the car looks like after a few washes or an IPA wipe down. Anything that "corrects" paint via a paper towel I would be skeptical about...

subieguy2
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions. I will keep an eye on it and post some updates. I am new to this and just trying to help a friend.

I think you are dead on with the fingerprint markings. It looks exactly like what I did.

Again I will keep in touch with my buddy and how it all holds up. I told him about some of the suggestions I have been given here and will probably get around to giving some of them a try in the near future when the filler wears off.