PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever clearcoat polished aluminum wheels?

adrynalinjunkie
09-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I have some brand new weld racing polished aluminum rims that I am tempted to clear coat.
I am of course worried about delamination.

Does anyone have any success or failure stories? Lol

BobbyG
09-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Years ago and I'm not talking about 10 or 15 here, I'm talking about 30 years. I polished several bare aluminum wheels to a brilliant shine then cleared them with a product from DuPont called Imron.

The wheels came out great and Imron was / is a 2 part product that hardens with a catalyst similar to epoxy... DuPont Imron is still available today so I see no reason when this wouldn't still work..

PS - There may be other products available today but this is what I used in the 70's and 80's....

Twister
09-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Most polished aluminum I've seen clear coated seems to loose some of the shine. It tends to look a little cloudy for a lack of a better word.

I used Opti-Coat on my polished aluminum wheels and it came out great. No loss of reflection and the coating is crystal clear. Not hard to apply at all either.

Rsurfer
09-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Most polished aluminum I've seen clear coated seems to loose some of the shine. It tends to look a little cloudy for a lack of a better word.

I used Opti-Coat on my polished aluminum wheels and it came out great. No loss of reflection and the coating is crystal clear. Not hard to apply at all either.
What did you use to clean the wheels before applying OC?

ScottB
09-23-2012, 05:57 PM
I used G-Techniq's Wheel Armour on my barrels recently, and impressed. It does look a little different but not a huge difference. They are uncoated Iforged wheels.

tdrake2406
09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I watched a video with Mike and he was demonstrating how to clean and polish them. If I am not mistaken he said that you would not want to do this? I think the stuff he was using had a protectant in with it as well as the cleaner also.

tdrake2406
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I watched a video with Mike and he was demonstrating how to clean and polish them. If I am not mistaken he said that you would not want to do this? I think the stuff he was using had a protectant in with it as well as the cleaner also.

I think its in the end of this video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF21eHUAwlk]How to polish aluminum wheels to look like chrome - YouTube[/video]