PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo -Old Technology in a Modernized Package

Pages : [1] 2 3

Old Tiger
09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Cyclo -Old Technology in a Modernized Package (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/cyclo-polisher-accessories/55629-cyclo-old-technology-modernized-package.html)

During the last polisher sale, I finally broke down and ordered one of these with electronic speed control. I used it the last few days on my Ford. Here are my impressions:

1. These are built like no other machine I own. The Made in USA craftsmanship is superb. It is made of polished aluminum and its precise manufacturing is equal or better than my 3401.

2. It isn't as bulky or heavy as I imagined. It is extremely well designed ergonomically. It weighs in ~ 6.5 lbs as I recall.

3. I didn't think the machine would correct much given the power in watts is about half of a PC. I was sorely mistaken and gladly so. The Cyclo can take a good bit more force than a PC without bogging down.

4. The counterweight design comes as close to eliminating vibration as I could fathom! It is by far the easiest machine I have ever used.

5. A beginner cant screw up with this machine I had my daughter use it. . She never held a polisher before.

I expect my son will use the Cyclo long after I am gone. There are some from the early 50's still in use today. Oh yeah the speed control is top shelf. A high quality potentiometer is used in conjunction with a toggle switch. . There isn't s a soft start button but it doesn't need one., since it wont burn paint.

Cyclo should build a single head model too for those of us who want a DA that will be around for our sons and grandsons to use.
BTW I got the new Backing Plates instead of the boots or the Edge option. I can use any 4" pads. The Cyclo pads are fine quality.

:)

Paul Mitchell
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Good review. I've been looking at one of these and will probably buy one in the future. I've got a Griot's 6" and 3" and this unit would be a great addition.

mwoolfso
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree, nice review. Have not seen one recently so this filled a void.

BobbyG
09-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Great review Jim! :props:

I've often wondered what these actually feel like in action and how does its performance compare with a more conventional dual action polisher..

Old Tiger
09-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Good review. I've been looking at one of these and will probably buy one in the future. I've got a Griot's 6" and 3" and this unit would be a great addition.
I bet when you get it, the GG 6" wont get as much work. I would get LC MF Cutting pads for it. They cut great.

Old Tiger
09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I agree, nice review. Have not seen one recently so this filled a void.
Thaank you very much. For polishing large planar panels it is like no other!

Old Tiger
09-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Great review Jim! :props:

I've often wondered what these actually feel like in action and how does its performance compare with a more conventional dual action polisher..
Thanks Bobby. You should add one to your collection!

rustytruck
09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
It's about time the cyclo got some love. I have a cyclo and I love it.

The Moose
09-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Would you say the Cyclo can do MORE, less or equal paint correction than a Porter Cable ? I have a PC and i'm looking for something with some more "balls" to get out deeper scratches or work harder clears. I was thinking of a Flex but I like to be different.

Robert8194
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Congratulations. It is a great machine. I find I use mine more with brushes for carpet cleaning than paint polishing. I have been tempted to buy another so I can polish and not have to fool with changing the weights. Now, that is the height of laziness, huh? The only problem I have had is hitting the off switch with my thumb while using it. Other than that, it is a great machine.

IID
09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
My order was placed,Thanks to you Jim :xyxthumbs:

Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5-Pro
FREE BONUS
$325.00 1 Yes $325.00
Free Sample with your Order
Sample 1 : BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash BF-110-S
$0.00 1 Yes $0.00
Cyclo Premium Green Foam Pad 2 pack
$7.99 1 Yes $7.99
Cyclo Premium Orange Foam Pad 2 pack
$8.99 1 Yes $8.99
Cyclo Premium Yellow Cutting 2 pack
$8.99 1 Yes $8.99
Subtotal: $350.97
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
15% savings: -$52.65
Total: $298.32

ReflectiveAuto
09-23-2012, 11:18 PM
I held one and I did not care for it. I don't like the exposed nuts in the middle of the pads underneath. I'll stick with my GG "6 DA.

Old Tiger
09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
:xyxthumbs:
It's about time the cyclo got some love. I have a cyclo and I love it.
It is an amazing machine!

Old Tiger
09-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Would you say the Cyclo can do MORE, less or equal paint correction than a Porter Cable ? I have a PC and i'm looking for something with some more "balls" to get out deeper scratches or work harder clears. I was thinking of a Flex but I like to be different.

It doesnt stop as easy as my PC or my Megs G110 V2 so IMO itt will correct more than either. For cutting power, NO DA compares to my 3401. There is a learning curve with the 3401 IME. There is none with the Cyclo!

Old Tiger
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Congratulations. It is a great machine. I find I use mine more with brushes for carpet cleaning than paint polishing. I have been tempted to buy another so I can polish and not have to fool with changing the weights. Now, that is the height of laziness, huh? The only problem I have had is hitting the off switch with my thumb while using it. Other than that, it is a great machine.
I thought about the brushes but I really dont enjoy cleaning carpet. Thanks to Weathertech, I dont need to . Have you got the
I wish the Toggle switch would have been replaced with a Rocker. I have turned it off a few times already. new BP's? I really like them. BTW tough game Saturday, but we improved a good bit!