PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless Solution for a GMC Yukon XL - Initial AG Order

NvFlyAngler
09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Greetings and salutations from northern Nevada...

First and foremost, THANK YOU to everyone for making this place possible. Up until a few weeks ago I had no idea that a forum dedicated to detailing even existed and that it would be chock full of such great information from so many helpful enthusuasts!

I recently had the good fortune to purchase a 2001 GMC Yukon XL with under 31,000 miles (that's not a typo). It's truly in excellent condition and I want to maintain it in that manner. With that said, it DOES get dirty; I spend a fair amount of time on dirt roads pursuing trout (hence my username). I don't expect show quality but I do want to keep it as clean as is realistically possible for a daily driver that spends time off the pavement.

I'd like to go with a two-bucket inseless solution primarily for three reasons:

We're on a community well and I want to be respectful of water usage.
Going rinseless would allow for the occasional winter exterior wash.
Panel-by panel washing/drying seems to make sense for a full-size SUV.
I'm building my initial AG order and, based largely on what I've learned here, I'm considering the following items. I'd very much appreciate any and all feedback:

One (1) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32 oz. New & Improved.
Two (2) Professional Grit Guard.
Two (2) Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt.
Two (2) Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24.
One (1) BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner for tires/wheels.
My two specific questions are:
Will two 16x24 Guzzlers be enough to adequately dry a full-size SUV?
Is an APC the best solution for tires/wheels? I don't necessarily need a "dressed" appearance for the tires but I do want them clean and black.
I apologize for the long post, but I believe that providing more in the way of requirements/expectations is often times better than not.

Thank you!

Ken

dcjredline
09-23-2012, 09:53 AM
2 Guzzlers should be enough.
The APC would be a good choice cause you can also clean many more things with it at the same time. Looks like you have a great list there!!!

ihaveacamaro
09-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I just dried my 2010 camaro with one guzzler and here's the thing, I only used one side. I didn't even get to flip to the other side. The thing is just massive! And it dries stuff like crazy too!

All your other stuff looks great too :)

BillyJack
09-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I've been using ONR for a few years now and here's my technique; I'll keep a decent MF cloth soaking in the bucket. After I wash a panel or two, I'll wring our the MF and wipe the panel down to absorb most of the solution, leaving only a little bit to be absorbed by my final step with a drying towel. I feel that a second pass helps remove most of the dirty solution, leaving less potential for marring by the drying towel. Though it adds an extra step, the job actually goes faster.
Try it and see how it works for you.

Bill