PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wheels - what is the trick I'm missing?

ShineMyCar
09-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I've worked on 3 really badly neglected sets of factory painted Aluminum wheels lately. Started using Eagle One product I picked up locally. Today I tried the Griots HD wheel cleaner.

Sprayed Griots HD cleaner liberally, and let it set. It dissolved some of the grime, but never changed to the reddish color I had seen on the product pic linked below.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/GR-heavy-duty-wheel-cleaner-4.jpg

Had a sweet smell ( I expected a more chemical scent for a Heavy Duty Cleaner ) and I had to agitate the heck out of the wheel to clean it. Using HD wheel cleaner multiple applications, auto soap, some of the old Eagle One product I had ( because it was cheaper and I wasn't going to waste all the Griots on one set of wheels ).

I got em clean ( more through grunt work than chemical cleaner ), but I can't imagine anybody who ran a detail business would go through that process with every customer who got a detail while turning a profit.... ???

What am I missing? any thoughts?

dcjredline
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Ive heard the Flash Brown Royal will make it easier. What tool do you use to "scrub" with?

Bill1234
09-22-2012, 07:41 PM
sometimes its the cleaner and sometimes its your method. I would go and buy a daytona wheel brush to get in between the brake disc. Spray a good wheel cleaner on let soak for 30 seconds, scrub and hose off.

ReflectiveAuto
09-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Other then the 6" polisher...i think the Griots stuff is way over rated.

Flash Gordon
09-22-2012, 08:01 PM
If you are looking for a product to spray on, then rinse clean you are out of luck. On a wash it typically takes me 45 minutes to clean the tires, wheels and fenderwells alone (and thats not including removing wheel weight glue)

This is why I don't offer car washes unless someone is willing to pay $100+

ShineMyCar
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Ive heard the Flash Brown Royal will make it easier. What tool do you use to "scrub" with?

I used Autozone's wheel scrubber. It looked somewhat like this

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1011/medium/DSC02140.JPG

but my brush is a little more dense with the bristles.

I wasn't able to remove all the grime without using a cotton t-shirt rag and getting my fingers in between the tough spots with a little cleaning product on the cotton rag.

I was not expecting a spray and rinse off, but did expect a spray, agitation, rinse based on the reviews I had read on the Griot's HD wheel cleaner. The product had lots of positive reviews, one comparing it to a much more costly sonax wheel cleaner.

ShineMyCar
09-22-2012, 08:14 PM
If you are looking for a product to spray on, then rinse clean you are out of luck. On a wash it typically takes me 45 minutes to clean the tires, wheels and fenderwells alone (and thats not including removing wheel weight glue)

I probably spent that time cleaning the 4 Wheels without dressing or fenderwells.

RMM
09-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I used Autozone's wheel scrubber. It looked somewhat like this

but my brush is a little more dense with the bristles.

I wasn't able to remove all the grime without using a cotton t-shirt rag and getting my fingers in between the tough spots with a little cleaning product on the cotton rag.

I was not expecting a spray and rinse off, but did expect a spray, agitation, rinse based on the reviews I had read on the Griot's HD wheel cleaner. The product had lots of positive reviews, one comparing it to a much more costly sonax wheel cleaner.

:eek: That brush has shinning metal ready to bite your wheels! Be careful!

Like Flash said, don't expect a simple solution when the wheels are really dirty. If the grime is baked on, you will have to scrub a lot and use good products: IronX and TarX (for iron particles and for hydrocarbon particles, respectively).

And Sonax is for sure better than Griot's...

Flash Gordon
09-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I bought about 25 of those Autozone wheel brushes when they went on clearence for a penny apiece.....thats about all they are worth too :D

Yea, cleaning the rims is a real bummer, but they totally make or break the outcome of your detail

dcjredline
09-22-2012, 08:56 PM
+1

I bought about 25 of those Autozone wheel brushes when they went on clearence for a penny apiece.....thats about all they are worth too :D

Yea, cleaning the rims is a real bummer, but they totally make or break the outcome of your detail

Flash Gordon
09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
+1

You bought a bunch of those worthless Autozone brushes too?!?!?!?

:D

dcjredline
09-22-2012, 09:21 PM
You bought a bunch of those worthless Autozone brushes too?!?!?!?

:D
No sorry, I agree that the wheels make the detail!! lol Oh you were teasing me :props:

rider9195
09-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Sometimes you just come across those difficult wheels that don't ever seem to come clean.

Flash Gordon
09-22-2012, 09:27 PM
No sorry, I agree that the wheels make the detail!! lol Oh you were teasing me :props:

Oh, then you're smarter then me. When I found out those things were reduced to a penny apiece a spent a whole day driving around to all the AZ's in town. Now I have a mountain of worthless brushes and a dry gas tank :o