PDA

View Full Version : Rotary feels uncontrolable!!

Thlian
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I don`t know if I am doin something wrong or what!?
But I do know this:
1. I don`t know how much product to put on the pad
2. I don`t know how much pressure to put on the buffer
3. I don`t know which speeds I have to use on the different applications
4. I don`t know how to operate the rotary! (sideways, forward, backwards...)
5. I`m pretty much green to this!

Anyway, I`m not satisfied with the work I did on the hood, after putting on the wax and when I tried to take it off by hand it was like rubbing off rubber!

The rotary seems to go with the flow and not where I want it to.....

HELP :o

richy
04-17-2007, 11:17 AM
here's a great article for you:
DetailersClub (http://www.detailersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565)

joe.p
04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Remember everything has a learning and once you get this down you'll love the rotory

Do some reading check out some videos and your good to go..

Nica
04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
lol..welcome to the rotary my friend. I too had this problem and I'm still green at it too but here is what I can offer...not much and I don't even know if I'm doing it right my self.

First of all, the amount of products to use all depends on the product it's self. I used XMT products and I found that they were drying up on me very quickly so I used lots of polish. You just have to find the right combo, trial and error but I managed to get the hang of the XMT and the rotary.

Second, as far as pressure goes. If your just starting off I wouldn't worry about the pressure, just use the weight of the machine first. If the scratches you want to remove are not coming out then apply small amount of pressure.

Third, speed. Since your new, I would recommend you keep it under 1500 rpm. You don't need large amounts of speed, the more speed = exponential increase on burning the paint....um...I almost burnt my paint lol.

Fourth, well it's like PC. You want to do overlapping patterns. Side to side, then if the polish allows you go over the same area in a different pattern. I've tried up and down only and I've been getting good results. But remember, the rotary breaks down the polish much faster and sometimes you will be lucky if you get the up and down complete. That's why you may need a polish that has longer working time like Optimum. I tried it and Optimum is truly meant for a rotary, has long working time. Well just a suggestion, that's all.

Fifth...well..um..me to lol.

That's all I can offer, I'm still new to the rotary my self and well just practice and practice and keep on practicing. Oh I order a video named, Buffing with Confidence by Kevin Farrell. It came highly recommended, when I get it I'll try to do a review about it. Looking forward on getting my hands on that video.

Well hope this helps a little.

orngez
04-17-2007, 03:13 PM
practice makes perfect...start at the lowest or second lowest setting...you will have a much easier time...if you find the rotary has a will of its own and wants to move like a ouija board just lighten up on the pressure and readjust your hold so the pad is parallel to the surface...when moving right to left move your body with the rotary...not just your arms...you will tend to "arc" to much and the pad will be less parallel as you extend away from your standing point rather than float across and stay parallel

Thlian
04-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks folks :)

I`ve also learned that Meguiars consumer products aint made for buffer use, only by hand! I experiensed that all three cleaner, polish and wax dried so fast that it wiped itself out in matter of seconds.....

BILL
04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Remember everything has a learning and once you get this down you'll love the rotory

Do some reading check out some videos and your good to go..

I AGREE.......STUDY, READ. AND WATCH VIDEOS. PRACTICE ON OLD BODY PARTS

Mastering the Rotary Buffer [Archive] - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-68.html)