PDA

View Full Version : how about faded "GREY" trim, bumpers, etc.

wangotango
09-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Lots of products seem to 'bring back the black' to faded black trim parts.
Many cars out there that started out with dark (or not) grey bumpers etc...BUT,
My PERL, 303, and Megs HD are protecting them but not restoring in any way.

How does a guy 'save the grey'?

!ouy knaht

flyinion
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Well, I know there are some products designed to dye the plastic black again. I don't know the names offhand. If you have a Jeep vehicle, or one with similar black plastic, apparently a trick with the older models (newer ones apparently no longer fade) is to heat the plastic up with a heat gun or propane torch. Apparently the heat will turn it black again. I personally would try the dye products first lol.

ForceField
09-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I used DP (Detailer's Pride) Trim Detailer.

Detailer’s Pro Series Trim Detailer, exterior trim spray, black plastic trim spray, molding spray (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-trim-detailer-spray.html)

It worked great on my black plastic trim that had dried wax on it.

Still looks brand new months later. Granted my car IS new, it's a 2011. But the dried wax was hard to get off till I tried this stuff. Easy wipe on wipe off WOWO application. Perfect restoration and protection, still going strong months later. This stuff is amazing, highly recommended.

aerogt01
09-21-2012, 08:58 PM
The only product I know of that will restore it for a long period of time is Solution Finish.

You will still need to protect that after it dries with something like UTTG or Wolfgang ETS.

A-train
09-21-2012, 09:08 PM
If you have grey trim that needs restoring there is a product that restores that. Its not sold at AG so pm me if you would like to know more about it. It's actually a dye but super easy to use, and made specifically for grey trim.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Lots of products seem to 'bring back the black' to faded black trim parts.
Many cars out there that started out with dark (or not) grey bumpers etc...BUT,
My PERL, 303, and Megs HD are protecting them but not restoring in any way.

!ouy knaht

Get some GTechniq C4. Been protecting my exterior trim for 2 years and my car sits outside 24/7 with sunlight year round.

FUNX650
09-22-2012, 08:00 AM

-ValuGard's: E.T.R.III (Automotive International, Inc.)
-gatorbackcoatings

:)

Bob

scooterguitar
09-22-2012, 08:12 AM
When I got into detailing for fun, I had an older Avalanche that had the sun faded grey panels, etc. Tried everything and nothing worked, this was six years ago. I washed and wiped super clean with ISP. Chem Guys Liquid Extreme Shine did the trick! It didn't last months and months, but it worked for a decent amount of time.

shoeless89
09-22-2012, 08:15 AM
So products like PERL aren't even darkening it? Pretty much like everyone else said I would try a special dye product but I don't have any experience with the dyes. Let us know what you choose and how it goes!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

RMM
09-22-2012, 10:33 AM
The only product I know of that will restore it for a long period of time is Solution Finish.

You will still need to protect that after it dries with something like UTTG or Wolfgang ETS.

:iagree:

wangotango
09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
the perl darkened a bit, tried a little megs HD as well.
to be even close to original it will need to be dyed for sure.
11 years old, warm sunny climate. never protected.
ptotecting it is easy, many prods for that.
i'll talk to him and see what he'd like to do and go from there.

thanks all for the help!

Need2Clean
10-03-2013, 01:22 AM
A product that works excellent on gray plastic, better than any other products I've ever tried, is Fade To New by Carmor.

Nirvalica
10-03-2013, 01:31 AM
The meguiars black trim restorer worked great on my gray jeep trim.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online