PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has a question. Already tried the search function.

Pages : [1] 2

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I just bought a new 2012 Black Acura TL. Now, I want to keep it pristine looking. Before I found this board I bought a bunch of Zaino products because that is what I used on my Camaro Z28 many years ago. My plan was to wash, clay if I time this weekend, and then use Z5 polish. Is this enough? I've been reading about sealants and waxes. I'm not really sure how a polish relates to protecting the paint and how it compares to a sealant or wax. Should I put something on top of the Z5 polish or is that enough?

Also, I bought some 303 for my dash. What should I use before the 303 to clean the dash? I've spent $200+ on cleaning products and didn't get anything to clean the dash on my car.

Any help would be appreciated.

darkangelism
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
That polish also acts as a sealant, so you could just use that.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Zaino uses some quaint terminology (just like Duragloss....hmmm). Their "polishes" are sealants, so you can use Z5 just like any other sealant that is talked about here. There is some semantic difference between Z2 and Z5 (just like the several Duragloss "polishes"...hmm), but they are just sealants, and IME, bead like no other (including Duragloss).

As far as cleaning the dash before 303, if the car is new, unless the dealer slathered some greasy kid stuff on there, you should be fine just putting the 303 on. You may already have something you can use in your $200 arsenal, ONR, some very diluted APC, or some Woolite from the supermarket (diluted 10:1).

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Zaino uses some quaint terminology (just like Duragloss....hmmm). Their "polishes" are sealants, so you can use Z5 just like any other sealant that is talked about here. There is some semantic difference between Z2 and Z5 (just like the several Duragloss "polishes"...hmm), but they are just sealants, and IME, bead like no other (including Duragloss).

Hmmm...are you saying that Zaino is the same product as Duragloss? Is Duragloss or Zaino a good product? When I had my 2001 Camaro it was very highly regarded, but a lot could have changed. Will Zaino protect my paint or am I wasting my time and my money on it? The polish will bead on the surface?

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm saying that there are too many similarities and coincidences for Zaino and Duragloss not to be related somehow. But I have not found them to be the "same" (well, the old Z16 seems to be identical to one of the DG tire dressings, and the leather stuff seems to be very close as well...oh, I forgot FC&C IS Z6, as far as I can tell).

Zaino sealants (Z2 and Z5) are excellent products, I have been less impressed with their WOWA sealant (ZCS) but I have the original version. I was saying that Z2 and Z5 bead water like no other sealant IME, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. IME they are the only sealants that have "Collinite" beading.

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Zaino sealants (Z2 and Z5) are excellent products, I have been less impressed with their WOWA sealant (ZCS) but I have the original version. I was saying that Z2 and Z5 bead water like no other sealant IME, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. IME they are the only sealants that have "Collinite" beading.[/QUOTE]

Not to bug you, but why is beading a bad thing? Wouldn't that help in eliminating water spots in the future?

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Not to bug you, but why is beading a bad thing? Wouldn't that help in eliminating water spots in the future?

Maybe, but it could help in CREATING water spots in the future. Generally I would consider it a good thing, it sure makes you feel like you've done something to your paint when it beads, and beads, and beads.

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your preferred wax/polish/sealant for a black car? Seems like there are a hundred different options. Is any one brand better for let's say black paint than another brand?

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your preferred wax/polish/sealant for a black car? Seems like there are a hundred different options. Is any one brand better for let's say black paint than another brand?

There are so many good sealants and waxes. If I was starting over I would use a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) because it is stupid easy, you can put it on any surface and it will work, no worries about residue, etc.

And there is such a big selection now, you have the Zaino, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima UPGP, and the Blackfire product.

Mike Phillips
09-21-2012, 02:44 PM
There's lots of great "protection" products on the market, the key is finding one "you" like and then use it often enough to maintain the paint to a finish quality that meets your expectations.

"Find something you like and use it often" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

Zaino beads water like crazy and it beads it for a long time. As long as you don't have something corrosive in the water drying on the paint and eating past the Zaino and leaving water "etchings" in the paint then heck yeah, beading looks cool.

:)

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Would you recommend putting on multiple layers of Z5? Because I am not totally clear on what layering is, does that mean apply Z5 and buff off and then reapply right away or wait a few days between Z5 applications?

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Zaino beads water like crazy and it beads it for a long time. As long as you don't have something corrosive in the water drying on the paint and eating past the Zaino and leaving water "etchings" in the paint then heck yeah, beading looks cool.

When I used to wash with hard water, I guess there are always a few drops that dry, from the sun, wind, etc., that you don't really notice. After time, holy crap there's like a ton of little water spot etches all over the car. Unless it's just our acid rain here in NJ. I noticed this on all my cars, but moreso on the one I use Zaino on.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Would you recommend putting on multiple layers of Z5? Because I am not totally clear on what layering is, does that mean apply Z5 and buff off and then reapply right away or wait a few days between Z5 applications?

I don't really want to go on with this because it's not a product that's sold here. Most sealants there is a waiting time before you can reapply (typically 12 hours). It's always a good idea to have plenty of protection on your car.

Mambwe
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't really want to go on with this because it's not a product that's sold here. Most sealants there is a waiting time before you can reapply (typically 12 hours). It's always a good idea to have plenty of protection on your car.

While I appreciate your opinion and your generous help, I can't help but think posting about Zaino would not bother the folks at Autogeek. This is a forum about autodetailing. And while I did spend ~$80 on Zaino products, yesterday I ordered ~$150 in brushes, towels, wheel cleaners, and glass cleaners from Autogeek.

I appreciate your help.

Mike Phillips
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Lots of Zaino users like to apply multiple layers in order to create a thicker overall layer of the product on the surface. I'm not sure anyone has ever proved that more layers of the Z5 or Z2 does in fact create a thicker and thicker layer.

A good rule of thumb for most products is to apply to applications for these reasons,

Uniform protection
Uniform appearance

The more important idea is to do a good job of regular maintenance and then wash your car carefully so as not to induce more swirls and scratches into the future.

I know Sal Zaino personally and he's a heck of a nice guy. He attended one of my Meguiar's Detailing 101 classes in New Jersey one year and later we went out to dinner. Autogeek as offered to carry his products but he's happy with his current distribution system.

:)