PDA

View Full Version : Clarification Please on Sealant + Wax then Quick Detailer steps...

Ericsworld
09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm hoping someone can proofread the process I am thinking about undertaking and then correct me.

My car is always garaged and isn't frequently driven, so I want to keep washings with hose/water to a minimal.

My plan is to wash the car with soap and water once, and then apply on some Sealant and Carnauba wax (Wolfgang and Souveran respectively).

The question I have is... after the Carnauba wax is on, how should I go about cleaning the car off from minor dust and dirt? Should I wipe down the car with quick detailer every few weeks and then reapply the sealant + wax?

I'm assuming the best way to take off all the sealant and wax is to just water and soap, but I'd like to do this at longer intervals if possible. So it's basically the "in-between" period of maintenance that I'm not 100% clear on.

Thanks

ReflectiveAuto
09-21-2012, 12:33 AM
after you wash your ride...you should decontamine your paint so you have super smooth paint surface to work on before you do anything else. If you have a quality sealant you shouldnt have to re-apply it for a long time. I would have a nice solid clean and smooth base. Then use a QD to maintain that nice shine.

davey g-force
09-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Just use a QD or a waterless wash to remove any LIGHT dust etc. If you have any doubts about whether the dust/dirt is too heavy to clean off using a spray-on product, just do a traditional two bucket wash.

A good QD shouldn't diminish your existing wax layer - in fact it should boost it. If you like after the QD, you can apply a spray wax just for that extra pop and wax boost. :xyxthumbs:

You can wax every few weeks if you like, but it shouldn't be needed in your case..

Ericsworld
09-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the tips! Presumably after I am able to maintain the car with just QD/waterless wash for a few weeks, should I ever need to do a traditional two bucket wash just to remove whatever sealant & wax is left and start over? Or would it be better in my case to continue using the QD and add on some more Carnauba wax every now and then

ihaveacamaro
09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
As long as you don't let the dust turn into a film, waterless washes and QD won't do you any harm. If it becomes a film, break out the buckets

KneeDragr
09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
My feeling is

Sealant
(wait 24 hours )
Wax
(wait 8 hours)
Wash or QD as needed.

bobble
09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Another option would be a rinseless wash like ONR for maintenence. It's so easy it's stupid, only needa 1 gallon bucket of water and some MF towels. Way safer to wash this way than QD IMO.

As far as how longit lasts, if the car is garaged and kept out of the sun and rain for extended periods quality sealant should last 6 months. Top with wax of choice every 6 weeks. Start allover every 6 months, wash/strip old sealant, decontaminate(Clay or chemical or both) then polish and seal.