PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a wool pad with a rotory MF

luv a shine
09-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Would I get the same cut from a LC rotory MF pad.:bat:

AutowerxDetailing
09-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Subscribed. I would also love to hear from anyone who has tried out the new LC MF rotary pads.

g26er
09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
I use and love the LC rotary MF pads, but never used wool to compare it to. I'd like to know too.

tuscarora dave
09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
You'll not get near the same cut with the MF pad. While I haven't used the rotary version of the MF pads on the rotary I have played around with the Meg's cutting discs on a rotary. It will be a totally different experience I'm sure.

luv a shine
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
I am ordering one for comparison . Side by side 50/50

luv a shine
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I use and love the LC rotary MF pads, but never used wool to compare it to. I'd like to know too.

Hows the cut???

Vegas Transplant
09-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Short answer: absolutely NOT.

Wool cuts faster, and at a higher rpm than MF.
MF is grabbier, and will require your attention.
End results are similar, and can be attained depending on paint hardness and condition.

MF pads on a rotary have their own learning curve.
They overload quickly, dust less, and even though one can clean on the fly, they tend to hold residue and contamination deeper in the individual fibers, IMO. Thus leading to changing out the pad more often, whereas one can spur a wool pad, and may complete the vehicle using only one pad.
They rarely shed, except when new.

I get desired results spinning @9-1200 rpm.

If you view ShineTime's thread, you will see that overloaded, over-spun MFpads are harder to control, and this was with the flex. Wheel hop will be the norm.

The biggest benefit I have measured from using MF as opposed to wool, is one less wash process when using OHC and polishes...no dust, no splatter, no wool to worry about.
I have never used the LC MF pads, only OPTIMUM.

I hope that this may have answered your ?

Having mastered my own tecnique, I plan to continue using MF pads on my rotaries. You will know when your process is correct, as you can one hand on a flat panel.

This mess was cleaned up using only MF pads, in a short period of time:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/55356-all-you-hacks-out-there-thank.html

g26er
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Hows the cut???

For me I feel it's slightly more aggressive than an LC orange, but much easier to use. I'd say it finishes out about the same as the orange. I've only used the MF w/ M105... never tried to get it to finish out any better using a polish as I just switch to a white (or softer) foam.

Billy B
09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
It's interesting that this topic came up. I used both wool and the LC MF pads yesterday while doing a test spot on a black Z06 Corvette. While the MF pad finished out nicely it doesn't compare to the cutting ability of the wool pad. Both pads certainly have their place depending on what the job is and the desired outcome.