PDA

View Full Version : Full detail

Cliffy
09-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Hello Everyone.

I am new to AG. I started doing a mobile detailing service about a year ago. When I do a full a detail, I compound it when needed, put on a polish then a wax. Now I have been looking through these forums and I see a lot of other things I can use. Any suggestions on what steps I should do to complete the ultimate detail? Also what is a paint cleanser used for?

Cliffy
09-20-2012, 04:32 PM
One other thing. I am using the meguiars da. Is this good for compounding or would I get better results with a rotary? And what are best products to use?

Bill1234
09-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Welcome to AG. A rotary is not very good fo you as you are new. I would stick with the DA for a couple of years until you are ready to move to a rotary. Here are some steps for a full detail

Wash rims (wheel cleaner and brushes )
wash (can be foam or car wash)
dry and clay if needed
correct paint
inside detail , degrease door jambs, and cracks wipe down leather and glass
exterior wax or apply sealent first then wax

ReflectiveAuto
09-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Welcome to AG. A rotary is not very good fo you as you are new. I would stick with the DA for a couple of years until you are ready to move to a rotary. Here are some steps for a full detail

Wash rims (wheel cleaner and brushes )
wash (can be foam or car wash)
dry and clay if needed
correct paint
inside detail , degrease door jambs, and cracks wipe down leather and glass
exterior wax or apply sealent first then wax

I agree...I use the GG "6 DA and I would be scared to use a rotory on a car. Ill stick to my DA.

Also add a very complete engine detail.

RoadRageDetail
09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
What products/pads/sealants/waxes are you using now? A little diversity goes a long way.

I started out strictly rotary detailing and I'm very proud of what I can do with it, but I've picked up a Flex 3401 and the rotary rarely comes out of its bag, unless it can speed up scratch/oxidation removal before finer polishing.

statusdetailing
09-20-2012, 08:12 PM
1. Offer a sealant like klasse or opti seal as an upcharge. Good way to make some extra money and it's easy to do.

2. Headllight restoration: learn how to do this and make $50 or more extra on a job.

3. Scotch guard: Very easy to sell and only takes a few minutes.

4. Don't detail engines on every detail. It waste a Ton of degreaser and dressing and most people don't care. There's also a little liability when detailing engines. Offer it as an add on and make some extra cash.

Never forgot that the interior is most important to 90% of customers. Cleaning interiors and removing stains is just as much of an art as polishing paint.

Interior Interior Interior

Cliffy
09-20-2012, 08:44 PM
What products/pads/sealants/waxes are you using now? A little diversity goes a long way.

I started out strictly rotary detailing and I'm very proud of what I can do with it, but I've picked up a Flex 3401 and the rotary rarely comes out of its bag, unless it can speed up scratch/oxidation removal before finer polishing.

Thx for all the help. I am only using Meguiars products right now.

Cliffy
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Thx everyone!! What would be a good compound for getting out scratches. I am using Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It seems to work good but didn't know if it was anything better.

RoadRageDetail
09-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Thx for all the help. I am only using Meguiars products right now.

I was hoping you'd be a little more specific ;)

Megs 105 & 205 are a fantastic combo for scratch removal and overall paint rejuvenation.

The Blackfire Wet Diamond and Midnight Sun kit is a steal, will last you for dozens of details and is an easy way to make your customer's jaws hit the ground with a thud.