PDA

View Full Version : Finished my Griots Paint Sealant today...Video Coming

Pages : [1] 2

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Well I wanted to test this product and I did alot of reading and reviews of this product before the test.

This is what I did:

1. Washed the Siver Acura RDX with dawn to remove any polish and wax that was on it. I had Megs UP and Zymol wax and the Zymol was holding up very well since it was fully detailed about 3 months ago.

2. I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub to decontaminate the paint...its babybutt smooth..it was very rough.

3. Used my GG 6" DA w/orange pad with Megs fine cut to compound the surface

4. Used another Orange pad with Megs Cyrstal Polish

5. Used Red pad with a brand X Carbanuba wax

6. Taped off the middle of the hood and applied the Griots paint sealant on the passanger side. Then used a clean red soft pad to apply thin even straight coats on the hood.

I then waited a few minutes to double check my coverage and did not see any holes in coverage.

I allowed the Griots paint sealant to cure for the 1 hour as stated by Griots. Then I used a soft clean MF and wiped in the same direction as applied.

Once it was removed I took off the blue tape and then proceed to spray water on the entire hood and watched the water really do nothing....I really mean nothing.

There was no difference with the water shedding from the Griots Paint Sealant from the non treated side.

Would I recommend this product to anyone? NO

I would give this product a big fat..........F

AutowerxDetailing
09-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Maybe I am reading this wrong (it's past my bed time) but are you putting the sealant on top of the carnauba wax? If so... that may be preventing the sealant from bonding properly.

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 02:03 AM
it was not the Griots One Step Sealant...I was told it could go over the carbanuba since its just the sealant

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 02:30 AM
so why do you put the Nanoskin sealant over the Nanoskin hydrophobic wax to get this affect?

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DmguQv8eI0YM&h=yAQGbwIO8

CaptJon
09-18-2012, 05:42 AM
If you don't follow the process listed to use a certain product how can you judge that product? Your test seems extremely flawed in several ways and no way should you post that.

ski2
09-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Sealants always need to be applied to clean, bare paint so the polymers can bond with the paint. That is why you see considerable talk about "What to use to strip off wax" on this and other detailing forums. Even the Griots video for the sealant says "Griots sealant is compatable with Griots waxes so they can be layered on top"

swanicyouth
09-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Really confused here:

1. What is brand x carnuba wax?

2. You applied wax to the wile hood and topped only half with sealant?

3. Did the untreated side have wax on it? The wax itself didn't bead or sheet water?

4. I'm the the others, apply sealant first then your wax.

I've never used Griots Paint Sealant before, but it can't be that bad. Griots products are fairly high quality. Re-try your test. Strip whatever product is on the car, apply the sealant, wait a few hours, and top with a wax. A bet you will get beads galore.

ryance39
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
as far as I have known sealant should be applied directly to clean paint, like said before. Is the 1 hour cure time 1 hour with the product on the paint? I have always gone with the 1-3 hours product on bare, clean, oil free, paint then 8-12 hours of cure time where the applied area stays dry and dirt free, say sitting over night in a garage.

The other thing that you may want to change is instead of using brand X (which i assume is what your using for a variable to say any brand of wax) try topping the sealant with a griots wax, after the cure time. Its all in the chemistry.

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
After the truck detail I will strip off the side with the sealant and reseal it without any wax.

KneeDragr
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
After the truck detail I will strip off the side with the sealant and reseal it without any wax.

Sounds like a better test, but honestly, I dont know what pouring water on it will prove besides its surface tension. Thats not going to measure how durable or how dirt repellent it is. You really need to leave it on 50/50 for a few weeks and update its performance over time.

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a better test, but honestly, I dont know what pouring water on it will prove besides its surface tension. Thats not going to measure how durable or how dirt repellent it is. You really need to leave it on 50/50 for a few weeks and update its performance over time.

I will do that...

StephenK
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Whenever you layer 2 products from 2 different companies you run the risk of them not playing well together and may not get results they claim. And like others have said sealant first then wax

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789 (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/paint+sealant%2C+16+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks)
Is this the sealant? If so it doesnt say anything about putting it over wax

ReflectiveAuto
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Whenever you layer 2 products from 2 different companies you run the risk of them not playing well together and may not get results they claim. And like others have said sealant first then wax

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789 (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/paint+sealant%2C+16+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks)
Is this the sealant? If so it doesnt say anything about putting it over wax

That is what I did...when I get a chance Im going to reverse the order and check the results or not even put wax on it.

VISITOR
09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
sometimes some companies will have both good and bad products...

Gunslinger
09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I use Griot's Paint Sealant on my daily drivers and it's an excellent product. It looks great and is very durable. I follow the standard method...wash, clay, polish followed by the sealant. After regular washes I use Griot's Spray Wax...never an issue doing that.