PDA

View Full Version : Help on group car washes

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Ok guys, sports group and teen center car washes, you have seen them and probably skipped them. I have one currently at my teen center and was wondering what would be best. Right now lets just say if there were 10 commandments to car care it would be downright sins.

Over diluted car wash
sponges and mitts dropped
dirty water
improper wash methods.
rims are hot when washed
This is bad(beach towels being used to dry)

The good new is that the person who runs the place knows that I know how to detail vehicles
They told me I should tell the committee what to get.

thought this

Multiple wash buckets with grit guard inserts
More mothers brushes
Proper towels maybe in bulk maybe not
proper wash mitts
bulk car wash
Foam gun(hard choice as it is expensive)

Any idea would be appreciated on a list

JAF06SE
09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
As for drying towels, I'd recommend them to get actual drying towels.

Texsox
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
The problem with fundraisers is any money spent means less raised. See how much of the list can be donated, borrowed, or rented. (unless this is a regular event).

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

oldgeek
09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
The best thing you can give the kids is a few lessons on proper wash practices.

invested_detailing
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
The people who use charity car washes most likely already have paint that is swirled and most likely don't care about having flawless paint. You're not gonna see any show cars lining up to be washed at a charity event. Just use common sense. Also the longer each vehicle takes to wash the less money you make.

Bill1234
09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
A few more bits of info, It is a yearly event meaning that it is once a year. We do also have a good income of money, but we just are not doing it right

rider9195
09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Ok guys, sports group and teen center car washes, you have seen them and probably skipped them. I have one currently at my teen center and was wondering what would be best. Right now lets just say if there were 10 commandments to car care it would be downright sins.

Over diluted car wash
sponges and mitts dropped
dirty water
improper wash methods.
rims are hot when washed
This is bad(beach towels being used to dry)

The good new is that the person who runs the place knows that I know how to detail vehicles
They told me I should tell the committee what to get.

thought this

Multiple wash buckets with grit guard inserts
More mothers brushes
Proper towels maybe in bulk maybe not
proper wash mitts
bulk car wash
Foam gun(hard choice as it is expensive)

Any idea would be appreciated on a list

I wouldn't worry about over diluted car wash, most people stopping to get a wash probably have no protection on their car.

Definitely get lots of chenille wash mitts, I would use only one bucket per wash with a grit guard though. A quality wheel and tire cleaner in bulk as well as brushes to clean the tire and face of wheel. Of course drying towels as well.

mswerb
09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Let's be realistic. People who get their car washed at fund raising car washes aren't really there for the car wash, but are there to donate.

ReflectiveAuto
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Make sure you have boys in baseball uniforms and hot chicks...that brings in the money.

Texsox
09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Watch the movie Bad Teacher for tips ;-)

Bill1234
09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
So your implying that you have the same standing outside your place Im the MANIm the MANIm the MANIm the MANThink of them like the bananas...... I dont think we will be doing that, but I do think the kids will be working hard

Vegas Transplant
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
, but we just are not doing it right

What do you mean? Production and efficiency?

DaveT435
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Watch the movie Bad Teacher for tips ;-)

LMAO Exactly!!!

ducksfan
06-10-2016, 02:49 PM
I may be out in left field, but I'm throwing this out there to see the responses.

What about a sponsor (Meguiars, Mothers ...). You put their banner up and they donate (or deeply discount) some product. Wash the car, have a couple people blow most of the water off (one each side).One person spraying wax from a Solo Hand sprayer (Finest mist of hand sprayers I have used), while two or three follow with the final dry.

What do you think? A little over the top?

2black1s
06-10-2016, 03:22 PM
I think you're fighting a losing battle. There are way too many variables that are out of your control at these types of car washes...

Let's start with the experience level of the participants - probably zilch or close to it. Then look at the facilities - probably in the direct sunlight unless it's a cloudy day. The wash media - clean for the first car of the day and that's it. Even then it's probably dish soap and old donated bath towels and the like they're using. You could go on and on.

And finally, anyone who has a nice, well-maintained car, isn't patronizing these events anyways other than maybe donating to the cause. They're surely not having their car washed. Your ten commandments are irrelevant to the cars being washed at these events because: 1) they're either not that nice of cars; or 2) the owners don't really care about minor (in their eyes) wash-inflicted paint damage; and those two categories probably capture >90% of the general population.

Remember, we who truly take care of our stuff to the levels discussed on this forum are a very small group in the grand scheme of things.