PDA

View Full Version : Ultima interior guard -- now white on dash

Pages : [1] 2

newtoncd
09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I have read a lot on the forums, but first post. After seeing the rave reviews, I recently purchased the Ultima interior shampoo and Ultima interior guard plus. Prior to this, I had been using either 303 or Meguair's natural finish; vehicle is a 2004 Lexus RX330 with a black lightly textured dash.

I applied the interior shampoo and followed up with the interior guard and thought things were fine.

However, after applying the product per the directions, and coming back about an hour later, throughout the dash, there is now a white looking finish in the texture part of the dash. It is not as bad; however, it almost reminds me of using a wax on a black bumper.

My first thought was, perhaps I applied too much product? Regardless, any ideas on how to bring the dash back with a matte black finish?

Thanks in advance.

tuscarora dave
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I had this happen on a few different dash boards and on black Range Rover consoles. I don't use the stuff on anything black anymore. My customer's love the way it makes leather seats feel and repel water, but for black I now use Optimum Protectant Plus.

I used IPA 91% sprayed on the towel not the dash to clean the UIGP off and applied something else to it. It's a shame because their stuff works so well and easy but I'm done with the UIGP once this bottle is gone.

newtoncd
09-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Just to confirm, isopropyl alcohol won't harm the dashboard at all? All I have is the stuff you would buy at Wal-Mart, do I need to dilute that?

I am pretty frustrated I just purchased all of the Ultima products (both interior/exterior) and this is the result.

oksmokey
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Glad I read this thread. I was about to order the ultima interior guard but may wait now because all 3 of my vehicles have black interiors. Any others out there experienced this same problem?

SonOfOC
09-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Never had this problem on any black dashes and many were Lexus and Rovers. I usually go straight from Optimum OPC to UIG for dashes and use Ultima shampoo for steering wheels, leather, and shift knobs then coat with UIG.

Not doubting OPs claims, just sharing my experience.

newtoncd
09-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I am the OP and wish I knew what was going on. The white residue almost looks like it has dried out the dash or something along those lines. It also looks the same on the vinyl along the door panels.

In a small test area, I put some 303 on top of it and will know in the morning what it looks like.

I also sent a note to the manufacturer to see if they have any ideas or can help.

Finally, I ordered the Optimum product and will report back how that works.

Rayaz
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Wow! I've used UIG on several black dash boards and never had this problem. I haven't used the shampoo, I use Optimum Power Clean at about 6:1 to get anything old off first. Maybe some residual protectant that the shampoo didn't remove reacted badly with the UIG? I too have heard nothing but good about this product and have had great results on "pampered" interiors (I use Klasse on daily drivers because it lasts so long and has a muted sheen). Sorry for your trouble...

drbobbybones
09-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I think you must have left something on the dash--either remnants of the old 303 or some interior shampoo gel residue. I had some unevenness the first time I used it and I just went over it a second time. Problem solved.

swanicyouth
09-17-2012, 08:36 AM
I used it on black and never have had this problem. I wouldn't clean it with strait isopropyl though either.

TornadoRed
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I've only used it on black dashes and never had this problem. How much did you use? It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 sprays for the entire dash.

07gtcs
09-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I use on my Wife's Black interior and on the Black Dash on my car and love the results, never been an issue for me. Love the way it feels after the treatment.

KneeDragr
09-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Same issue for me on my Vette doors, not on the dash though. No problem with the daily driver either place.

I recently switched to Blackfire Interior Protectant, and like it very much as well. Has more gloss than Ultima ( which has zero ) , but darkens more.

BobbyG
09-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Since failure using this product appears to be sporadic, I'm wondering if existing contamination is at the root cause of the problem. Even though some are using alcohol this may not be sufficient enough to deep clean within the pores of the material.

The products we use are chemical formulations. If these chemicals come in contact with or react with other or existing protectants that are still present then this could possibly be what some are seeing.

Case in Point

I cleaned a dash using 1Z Cockpit Premium and this was the result:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-review-eco-touch-dashboard-protectant-picture858-eco-touch-dash-protect-07.jpg

Clean the same area using Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner so not all cleaners are equal.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-review-eco-touch-dashboard-protectant-picture857-eco-touch-dash-protect-08.jpg

Just a thought is all.......

tuscarora dave
09-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Since failure using this product appears to be sporadic, I'm wondering if existing contamination is at the root cause of the problem. Even though some are using alcohol this may not be sufficient enough to deep clean within the pores of the material.

The products we use are chemical formulations. If these chemicals come in contact with or react with other or existing protectants that are still present then this could possibly be what some are seeing.

Case in Point

I cleaned a dash using 1Z Cockpit Premium and this was the result:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-review-eco-touch-dashboard-protectant-picture858-eco-touch-dash-protect-07.jpg

Clean the same area using Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner so not all cleaners are equal.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-review-eco-touch-dashboard-protectant-picture857-eco-touch-dash-protect-08.jpg

Just a thought is all.......
This makes sense to me. Who really knows what products have been used on a dash from new and how it may react with what other products? The Rover Dash that I applied UIGP to looked fine, it was the center console material that had the white haze about an hour applying UIGP.

Just to clarify things on my end, I don't use 91% IPA to clean interior pieces. I just used it on the Prius that I had this problem with, only to remove the UIGP from the dash in order to clean it in preparation for a different product to be applied.

tuscarora dave
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Just to confirm, isopropyl alcohol won't harm the dashboard at all? All I have is the stuff you would buy at Wal-Mart, do I need to dilute that?

I am pretty frustrated I just purchased all of the Ultima products (both interior/exterior) and this is the result.
See above comment^^^ I can't guarantee that it won't harm your dash at all (Always test an inconspicuous area) But I can tell you that applied to the towel and wiped over a Prius Dash, it did no harm. I'd think that 91% IPA could certainly do some damage if sprayed directly on a dash and was allowed to dwell for any length of time.