PDA

View Full Version : Solution Finish Observations / Questions

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I picked up some SF on BOGO not really sure what to expect. I've tried a few of these "trim restorer" products and most of them have been not to good. However, yesterday I used SF and it really came out great. This is top quality stuff. It's absolutely amazing how little of the stuff you need to use. I will post some pictures later. But I have a few questions

1. I used this last night on some grime pieces I removed from the car. Oddly enough, this morning the where still slightly "wet" in areas. By "wet", I mean, all the black pigment/colorant was absorbed into the plastic. There was just a little bit of oily residue left on the plastic. I think this means I used too much. Anyone have this happen?

2. How long does SF last. I'm really happy with the results. Do they last a long time?

CEE DOG
09-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Very interesting, did you buff off the excess 5 minutes to an hour after application?

I've never seen it feel anywhere near wet after I apply, wipe excess a bit later, and then allow a few hours cure.

I also find applying it in the sun is actually a benefit rather than an issue. It applies well sun or shade.

AutowerxDetailing
09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
I agree. This stuff is pretty awesome! I used some on my work truck on the license plate frame. It was very faded. I taped off a tiny section just to see how well it works.

Before.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-09-13_14_26_10.jpg

5 mins after applying Solution Finish.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-09-13_14_31_47.jpg

I can't speak for longevity but seeing as how it actually has black dye in it I assume it's going to last for quite some time. I also used too much at first, which is crazy because I only used a few drops. The next morning there was still a film built up from where I applied the product so I spread it out to the rest of the license plate frame. I did notice after doing that I was left with a spot that was slightly darker from where I originally applied the product. I will have to check again to see if the coloring evened out since then or not.

DaveT435
09-16-2012, 11:25 AM
I picked up some SF on BOGO not really sure what to expect. I've tried a few of these "trim restorer" products and most of them have been not to good. However, yesterday I used SF and it really came out great. This is top quality stuff. It's absolutely amazing how little of the stuff you need to use. I will post some pictures later. But I have a few questions

1. I used this last night on some grime pieces I removed from the car. Oddly enough, this morning the where still slightly "wet" in areas. By "wet", I mean, all the black pigment/colorant was absorbed into the plastic. There was just a little bit of oily residue left on the plastic. I think this means I used too much. Anyone have this happen?

2. How long does SF last. I'm really happy with the results. Do they last a long time?

I'm curious...my daughters 07 Corolla has been sitting in the Texas sun 24/7 since new. The trim around the wipers was black when new...now a really light gray. Sorry no pics but I'm wondering if when you used this product if there was a dramatic color change...or was your trim not this faded???

drbobbybones
09-16-2012, 12:13 PM
5 mins after applying Solution Finish.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-09-13_14_31_47.jpg

Whoa, that is IMPRESSIVE!

BobbyG
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I've used it on several trim pieces. I apply it with a foam block and work it into the plastic very well. Since I'm working it into the surface I generally don't have wet spots but I do wipe it with a disposal towel in about 15 minutes or so to even things out...

Solution Finish

Great Product
Outstanding Performance
Somewhat Pricey

fenderpicks
09-16-2012, 02:52 PM
It was on bogo!?!? When!?!?

swanicyouth
09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
It was on bogo!?!? When!?!?

Last week. It may still be on BOGO. Got 2 ounce for $30.00

Very interesting, did you buff off the excess 5 minutes to an hour after application?

No. I didnt know you were supposed to do that. I kept rubbing in in lightly trying to keep it evened out while it was drying. I applied it with a round yellow foam wax pad I cut in half.
All I did to apply it to the pad was press the pad to the top of the bottle and flip the bottle on its side. Still, I think I used too much. I can re-buff them when I get home if they are still wet. I weird though, the "wet" isn't black, it's clear. If you touch it, your finger doesn't turn black. I even hit it with a heat gun and that didn't seem to dry the clear liquid anymore. Its more like an oil. Still, I'm really happy with this stuff. I'm going to do some more trim pieces with it that are only slightly faded. I really makes stuff look good.

What's the longevity of this stuff?

Rsurfer
09-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Last week. It may still be on BOGO. Got 2 ounce for $30.00

No. I didnt know you were supposed to do that. I kept rubbing in in lightly trying to keep it evened out while it was drying. I applied it with a round yellow foam wax pad I cut in half.
All I did to apply it to the pad was press the pad to the top of the bottle and flip the bottle on its side. Still, I think I used too much. I can re-buff them when I get home if they are still wet. I weird though, the "wet" isn't black, it's clear. If you touch it, your finger doesn't turn black. I even hit it with a heat gun and that didn't seem to dry the clear liquid anymore. Its more like an oil. Still, I'm really happy with this stuff. I'm going to do some more trim pieces with it that are only slightly faded. I really makes stuff look good.

What's the longevity of this stuff?
Said to last a year+. Like all trim products, prep is very important. The better the prep work the longer the product will last. On severely oxidized trim use a water spot remover and a tooth bush.

SON1C
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
can you elaborate why the water spot remover works well there ^

Rsurfer
09-16-2012, 04:47 PM
can you elaborate why the water spot remover works well there ^
Because it will clean the minerals and calcium build up that are trapped in between the pores of the plastic. After treatment you may think that you don't need a protectant.:xyxthumbs:

Dr Oldz
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Ron, are you talking about the DG Water Spot remover?

Rsurfer
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Ron, are you talking about the DG Water Spot remover?
Been using Mark V Splash, but I believe Cory has used DG or CG water spot remover with good results.

SON1C
09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
i have cg water spot remover, will this have any effect on trim thats stained with wax and or polish?

storm100
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
It's recommended to use an IPA prior to application. I was fortunate enough to be training in Huntington Beach at Rich Evans shop when SF was first introduced. Rich Evans did an Avalanche with it and the results were more than satisfactory. It would have cost the customer $3000 to replace the plastics. It only cost him over a quarter of that. It's coming up on a year and it is still holding up. Good stuff.