PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for leaf blower for drying car

Pages : [1] 2

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Hello,

I am looking to replace drying my car using a waffle weave, with drying my car using an electric leaf blower.

The main reason is that I would like to cut down on the time it takes to dry the car. The secondary reason is to reduce the chance of marring (though with my blotting method, marring is minimal to non-existant).

Will the proper leaf blower be faster than drying with a waffle weave?

If so, what is a currently available model that has proven itself to work very well?

swanicyouth
09-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Get an AirForce or Master Blaster. Much more powerful and more concentrated stream of air. I have both, I just use the leaf blower to blow dust off my car. Unless you get some super powerful expensive leaf blower, it won't compare.

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Sorry, I forgot to properly introduce myself.

Quick introduction: I've read/studied autogeekonline forum, daily for about a year. Car is a 2012 metallic black porsche cayman R. I wash it once a week, using products from Optimum, Pinnacle, Wofgang, 303, FK, Chemical Guys, Blackfire, Klasse, and a few other brands.

Thanks for all of the help and learning that this forum provides!

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Get an AirForce or Master Blaster. Much more powerful and more concentrated stream of air. I have both, I just use the leaf blower to blow dust off my car. Unless you get some super powerful expensive leaf blower, it won't compare.

Is there a big difference in drying time and/or effectiveness between the Air Force and the Master Blaster?

BobbyG
09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

I went through the same process a few years ago and never looked back...

Your question: Will the proper leaf blower be faster than drying with a waffle weave?

YES, without a doubt!

There are a few variables here.

How often will you use it?
Is detailing a profession or hobbyist like mast here?
How much money are you willing to spend?

Metro Master Blaster

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1470/Master_Blaster1.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49743)

The Metro Master Blaster is a very nice machine and everyone here that owns one raves about its quality and performance.

The Metro Master Blaster produces a continuous blast of high speed air that whisks the water droplets from the vehicle in short order. It comes with a flexible rubber hose and tapered nozzle

FEATURES:

• 2 stage dual fan / 2 motors
• 2 speeds / 2 temperatures
• 19 amp
• 10 foot x 1.5 inch commercial strength flexible hose
• 12 foot neoprene cord
• E/Z Change Foam Filter (wash & reuse)
• Sturdy Steel- weighs only 16 lbs.
• One year manufacturers warranty.

Price: $395.00

Leaf Blower

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1470/Blower.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49742)

For me, I use an electric leaf blower from TroyBilt.

This unit is relatively light and easy to use. This unit like the Master Blaster above, works very well and produces a continuous blast of high speed air. The biggest disadvantage is it's more bulky than the hose and and is made from plastic which makes it harder to get into those tiny places.

Price: About $50.00

My TroyBilt electric leaf blower does everything I need it to do and for the price I have no complaints. I find this to be a great tool and wouldn't be without it.

ScottB
09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Master Blaster is indeed a prefered choice but kinda expensive. Before it, I used a Black/Decker Leaf Hawg for multiple years without issue.

chetmoseley
09-16-2012, 10:03 AM
I just bought a homelite blower 30$ 120/150mph speeds. Will test soon. I was told anything over 150 was useless

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=BobbyG;738498]:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Your question: Will the proper leaf blower be faster than drying with a waffle weave?

YES, without a doubt!

Is detailing a profession or hobbyist like mast here?

Metro Master Blaster

Thanks BobbyG... always enjoy your posts.

I will use it once a week to wash my car only. I am a hobbyist, looking for great results while finding ways to get more done in less time.

I am willing to buy the Master Baster if it is clearly better and faster than the Air Force or a leaf blower. If a leaf blower works almost as well, spending only $50 is a lot more attractive than $395.

GS2011
09-16-2012, 10:08 AM
I have both an Metro Air Force blaster, and a Toro electric leaf blower. Both do a good job of drying cars, but I prefer the leaf blower for ease of maneuvering, and have used this particular blower for over 15 years with no problems. Both are good choices, just a matter of personal preference.

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I have both an Metro Air Force blaster, and a Toro electric leaf blower. Both do a good job of drying cars, but I prefer the leaf blower for ease of maneuvering, and have used this particular blower for over 15 years with no problems. Both are good choices, just a matter of personal preference.

Interesting. Do you need to do much blot drying with a towel after drying with the leaf blower?

krisgel100
09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
See any issues with this leaf blower from Toro?

Amazon.com: Toro 51609 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed (up to 235) Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51609-Variable-Speed-Electric-Impeller/dp/B007POATV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347811725&sr=8-1&keywords=toro+leaf+blower)

civdiv99
09-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Home only "detailer" here.

I cannot opine on the comparisons, but 2 general comments:

I use a leaf blower on my truck, new Camaro, X5, and wife's PT Cruiser. It is generally low humidity here and I use softened water. Both factors may likely weigh on overall effectiveness, but I've not had any issues and consider that method faster than by hand.

And second, I have not noted a material difference in results between my electric and using neighbor's gas powered (handheld, not backpack power). The gas powered is heavier, but not bad.

BobbyG
09-16-2012, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=BobbyG;738498]:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

YES, without a doubt!

Is detailing a profession or hobbyist like most here?

Metro Master Blaster

Thanks BobbyG... always enjoy your posts.

I will use it once a week to wash my car only. I am a hobbyist, looking for great results while finding ways to get more done in less time.

I am willing to buy the Master Baster if it is clearly better and faster than the Air Force or a leaf blower. If a leaf blower works almost as well, spending only $50 is a lot more attractive than $395.

You're welcome!

This is how I looked at it as well.

The Metro Master Blaster is a quality well built machine. Handling a light hose is a lot easier than a leaf blower period and the concentration of air through the tapered nozzle is also a plus.

Would I like to have the Metro Master Blaster? Of course!!
Could I afford one? Yes
Is there a few products I could spend the savings on if I chose the leaf blower? HA, you bet there was!! :props:

This is what it boils down to for me...

Price vs. Performance.

I don't see anything wrong with the Toro unit in your post....

drbobbybones
09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I got the $200 Master Blaster because of a gift certificate. I think it's great, but it seems about 100% more expensive than it should be. It's high quality, but it seems all of the Metro stuff is a bit overpriced.

That said, it does a great job drying off the car. I still use a MF drying towel to get off the remaining water, but I can now use one towel instead of three. The best part is that it really gets out water in the seams, especially around your mirrors!

sproketser
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard .