PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Compound question

aalbs
09-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I was using UC earlier today with my new gg6 and a LC orange flat pad and ran into some issues. I was never able to get 6-8 section passes out of it without it drying up on me. The most I could do was 4 before I had to stop and wipe the surface down. I was in a garage and the surface was cool to the touch so I'm not sure where the issue lies. Can someone tell me if I doing the steps correctly? I took the dry pad and covered the face lightly with UC and then put a 3 dime size drops on it to work in. I put the gg6 on speed 5 and started working the section passes. After completing a section I would add a couple of drops on the pad and start another section. After that one was complete, I would clean the pad on the fly and re-prime by covering the face and adding a few drops again. Does this sound like an ok way to work with UC or do you have any suggestions? I'm not sure if I just need to add more product to my pad to get a longer working time out of it or what. Sometimes I would even have almost little balls of UC in the center of the pad when I was done with a section and fair amount of heat on the surface. I've got my black line on the backing plate and can see that it's always spinning. Any guidance is appreciated.

ReflectiveAuto
09-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I have the same DA...but I use the Griots foam pads, but I very lightly wet them then put on product and I have never had any issues

Wheelzntoys
09-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Try reactivating with a spritz of water on the pad, also no need to re-prime.

BillE
09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Try reactivating with a spritz of water on the pad, also no need to re-prime.

Exactly! After 'cleaning on the fly', just add a couple of dollops of product and continue. Sounds as if you have too much product on/in the pad.

Bill

mwoolfso
09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
On the surface it doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong. Rather, you just need to adapt to the environment a little bit more.

If you need the 6-8 section passes to get the paint where you want it to be then reduce the size of your section so you get longer working times, and as already mentioned no need to re-prime after cleaning the pad.

You also mention "fair amount of heat on the pad surface". If it is warm then that is fine. If it is hot, then you are applying too much pressure.

In short, small incremental changes, nothing major.

Vegas Transplant
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I have the same DA...but I use the Griots foam pads, but I very lightly wet them then put on product and I have never had any issues

I mist all polish/cut pads with ONR@QD: foam, MF, 4" - 8".

cleanmycorolla
09-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I mist all polish/cut pads with ONR@QD: foam, MF, 4" - 8".

ONR doesn't mess with anything? just curious because I am running out on my XMT pad conditioner and want to reorder, but if ONR works???? that would be nice as I have haf a gallon left!

Klasse Act
09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I use a spray of QD about every other section when using my GG wheel on the car, keeps the product very spreadable and I too use a 6-8 section pass, this way all the product is worked in and is easier to remove, that should solve the problem.

Vegas Transplant
09-16-2012, 11:45 AM
ONR doesn't mess with anything? just curious because I am running out on my XMT pad conditioner and want to reorder, but if ONR works???? that would be nice as I have haf a gallon left!

Since I use all OCC products, I have no polymer interference issues.
But if your polishing, then using a dedicated sealant, or coating, then you would do an IPA wipedown.
There are numerous posts on the forums with no interference issues with XMT products - however, the jury is still out when it comes to ONR and colli-845, IMO.

D.R.
09-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I had the same problem with Ultimate Compound. I could actually feel the movement of the pad/polisher change when it got to the point where the little pink balls of product were forming and then it would kind of spit them out (my garage is warm here in Florida).

My resolution was to use MORE product. I started getting a bit liberal with the product, putting full Xs on the pad instead of little dots of working material. I was doing sections from the side to mid point of the roof and about 1/6th the length of my small wagon's roof.

I can't recall if I tried the water method, but recently someone said they had good luck with a small spray of baby oil to keep things lubricated.

aalbs
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I'll give these suggestions a try! Thanks for the quick responses.

Sent from my Droid using AG Online

DaveT435
09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I have spritzed meg 105 with water a few times when working in the heat. It seemed to work well. The post about the baby oil sounded real promising...they did say to make sure you didn't use too much or you will lose the cutting ability of the product.

Twister
09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Ive always sprayed a little water on the pane when I need to extend the work time of a product.