PDA

View Full Version : Just say "NO" to brushes!

AutowerxDetailing
09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
To test how quickly your paint can be damaged we sourced a super-plush "paint safe" car wash brush and gave an already clean car a quick wash with some quality car wash soap. We were already expecting to see some wash inflicted damage but what follows is absolutely horrific.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5387.JPG

In order to lessen the damage the brush was soaked in water overnight to let the fibers get as soft as possible. It is highly unlikely that the average person would do this prior to washing their vehicle so the actual damage inflicted would be even greater under normal circumstances.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5395.JPG

Here you can see the straight line scratches on the paint from just ONE single, very light, pass with the brush. Imagine if this is how the vehicle was washed every time it got a bath. The entire finish would be a dull, swirled-out mess!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5414.JPG

A closer shot to enhance wash induced damage. You can actually see the individual lines of damage that were inflicted with just one pass of the car wash brush on this soft Kia clear coat.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5407.JPG

Don't worry... I was able to polish out all the damage.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5418.JPG

A more detailed write up can be found on the link to our Facebook page.

rider9195
09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I love it!! Great way to show what kind of damage it can do. :props:

DaveT435
09-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow...that looks like a boars hair brush...is it??

AutowerxDetailing
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow...that looks like a boars hair brush...is it??

I believe it is some sort of synthetic fiber. It is the kind the average consumer would buy at an auto parts store. It feels very very soft to the touch.

I have never used a high quality boar's hair brush and I'm not sure if they would inflict the same type of damage. I was mainly trying to expose just how much damage people are causing each time they improperly wash their car with the wrong tool.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

swanicyouth
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I use the AG Boars Hair (Montana) brush. I've been following it closely and I'm convinced the fibers alone do not scratch my paint. But, I'm considering 2 different factors: different brush, different paint.

For me, I really like the long handle Montana Brush. I can rinse and dip it whole standing on a platform while washing the roof without getting down. You can rinse it a lot, as you don't have to bend down. I just haven't had boars hair scratch my paint. In fact, I just bought the short one for wheels.

oldgeek
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, I think if you are going to perform this experiment with a common plastic brush and then generalize your results to the extent of your sensationalized and hyperbolic title, you owe it to these readers ( and to the Montana brush company) to perform the same test with a top quality boars hair brush.

DaveT435
09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
I have read post by a couple people using the boars hair brush with great success...I didn't think that's what it was...but when you look at the picture of the boars hair brush the body of the brush looks pretty much identical. I also didn't think AG would have anything that would inflict damage to paint...

swanicyouth
09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I have read post by a couple people using the boars hair brush with great success...I didn't think that's what it was...but when you look at the picture of the boars hair brush the body of the brush looks pretty much identical. I also didn't think AG would have anything that would inflict damage to paint...

I have the boars hair brush from AG and it looks completely different from the brush above. The BG brush AG sells comes from the Universal Brush Company. They have been around making these brushes for over 60 years for the auto, aviation, and marine industries. If they are used correctly they won't scratch most paint.

I think the problem lies in that it's easy to cover a lot a area with the brush, including lowers areas on the car without rinsing. When using, you have to be conscience of this and rinse frequently. The BH bristles alone are very soft and safe. People clean wheels with nylon brushes all the time and give no thought to scratching the wheel. Most wheels today are just clear coated paint.

I can do the same test as the OP with a BH brush and show you it doesn't scratch. There are all sorta of synthetic brushes out there, some are very stiff and some softer. Check out the Universal Brush Company website to learn a little about BH brushes.

FYI: I bought both my BH brushes from AG. Actually, I got the brushes cheaper from AG using the free shipping everyone is complaining about that the UBCo doesn't offer.

DaveT435
09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I have the boars hair brush from AG and it looks completely different from the brush above. The BG brush AG sells comes from the Universal Brush Company. They have been around making these brushes for over 60 years for the auto, aviation, and marine industries. If they are used correctly they won't scratch most paint.

I think the problem lies in that it's easy to cover a lot a area with the brush, including lowers areas on the car without rinsing. When using, you have to be conscience of this and rinse frequently. The BH bristles alone are very soft and safe. People clean wheels with nylon brushes all the time and give no thought to scratching the wheel. Most wheels today are just clear coated paint.

I can do the same test as the OP with a BH brush and show you it doesn't scratch. There are all sorta of synthetic brushes out there, some are very stiff and some softer. Check out the Universal Brush Company website to learn a little about BH brushes.

FYI: I bought both my BH brushes from AG. Actually, I got the brushes cheaper from AG using the free shipping everyone is complaining about that the UBCo doesn't offer.

I would imagine since you have seen a boars hair brush up close they don't look that much alike...but looking at the small picture on the AG store sire...without opening it and seeing the picture bigger they look very similar...all I was saying. That's why I asked I would have been very surprised if it was...

Vegas Transplant
09-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Looks more like a polyester brush. Nice thought with the soaking...but didn't do much good as far as softening.

I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the right job. Especially when one only has 4 hours to bling this bad boy out.

I also agree with the OP concerning the use of brushes, especially on well care for paint surfaces.

I have and use split bristle nylon brushes when the job calls for their use.

Take a hacked up DD that rarely gets washed...much alone waxed. TOGW in every crease and crevice

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1509/125_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49701)

Initial rinse with PW, liberal spray with Dawn and OPC in spray bottle. Wash bucket with dawn and OPC, split bristle nylon brush as wash media.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1509/146_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49702)

Time is of the essence when customer doesn't plan well.
End result.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1509/189_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49703)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1509/191_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49704)

The brush deep cleaned the paint surface and removed TOGW from creases and crevices...sped up the proccess as I was under the gun for time.

dcjredline
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Ive been using a Meguiars one that I got for CHEEEEEAP from Autozone and it doesnt seem to have done that much dammage to vehicles. Of course now having the foam gun I wont be using that anymore!!!

AutowerxDetailing
09-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I use the AG Boars Hair (Montana) brush. I've been following it closely and I'm convinced the fibers alone do not scratch my paint. But, I'm considering 2 different factors: different brush, different paint.

For me, I really like the long handle Montana Brush. I can rinse and dip it whole standing on a platform while washing the roof without getting down. You can rinse it a lot, as you don't have to bend down. I just haven't had boars hair scratch my paint. In fact, I just bought the short one for wheels.

I think ease of use is definitely the allure to use this type of tool to wash a vehicle. That is probably why on weekends as I drive through my neighborhood almost everyone I ever see washing their car/truck/van is using a brush.

I do agree that any potential for damage has a lot to do with brush type and paint hardness. This Kia paint is extremely scratch sensitive. The common consumer, though, has no idea about "hardness" of their clear coat or how easy it is to inflict a large amount of damage simply during a routine wash. That is what this highly unscientific and not so comprehensive "test" was meant to expose.

Well, I think if you are going to perform this experiment with a common plastic brush and then generalize your results to the extent of your sensationalized and hyperbolic title, you owe it to these readers ( and to the Montana brush company) to perform the same test with a top quality boars hair brush.

That's a good idea! Unfortunately I do not have a Montana brush to test and none of the local auto parts stores sell any car wash brushes of that quality. We are talking $35 max price point for the "super-high-end" brushes that attach to your hose... for added scratching power I suppose?

I made this write-up with the original intended audience being a "general consumer" as a way to educate them on how easy it is to cause severe damage to your paint's finish. I decided to share it with the forum, frankly, because I was surprised how much damage was inflicted so quickly.

Imagine how many people buy brushes just like this one because it says it's a "car wash brush" so it must be okay for the paint... Even if the average DIY consumer knew of the benefits of boar's hair, how many would drop $100 on a single tool to wash their car when in the same aisle they could buy a decent car wash mitt for $10?

I have seen countless threads on multiple forums with people for and against boar's hair brushes. People either seem to love them or hate them. I haven't used one (and I don't plan to) but as with anything I am aware that there are different levels of quality of tools that can produce significantly different results. I'm sure a well made, quality boar's hair brush would probably be fine on most paint types. I personally would not routinely wash this Kia with any type of brush simply because I know how easy it is to mar the finish.

As far as your average cheapo "soft fiber brush" like the one used in this test... I can safely say they are all, without a doubt, horrible and should never be allowed to touch anything but the inside of a garbage bin.

RMM
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I think ease of use is definitely the allure to use this type of tool to wash a vehicle. That is probably why on weekends as I drive through my neighborhood almost everyone I ever see washing their car/truck/van is using a brush.

I do agree that any potential for damage has a lot to do with brush type and paint hardness. This Kia paint is extremely scratch sensitive. The common consumer, though, has no idea about "hardness" of their clear coat or how easy it is to inflict a large amount of damage simply during a routine wash. That is what this highly unscientific and not so comprehensive "test" was meant to expose.

That's a good idea! Unfortunately I do not have a Montana brush to test and none of the local auto parts stores sell any car wash brushes of that quality. We are talking $35 max price point for the "super-high-end" brushes that attach to your hose... for added scratching power I suppose?

I made this write-up with the original intended audience being a "general consumer" as a way to educate them on how easy it is to cause severe damage to your paint's finish. I decided to share it with the forum, frankly, because I was surprised how much damage was inflicted so quickly.

Imagine how many people buy brushes just like this one because it says it's a "car wash brush" so it must be okay for the paint... Even if the average DIY consumer knew of the benefits of boar's hair, how many would drop $100 on a single tool to wash their car when in the same aisle they could buy a decent car wash mitt for $10?

I have seen countless threads on multiple forums with people for and against boar's hair brushes. People either seem to love them or hate them. I haven't used one (and I don't plan to) but as with anything I am aware that there are different levels of quality of tools that can produce significantly different results. I'm sure a well made, quality boar's hair brush would probably be fine on most paint types. I personally would not routinely wash this Kia with any type of brush simply because I know how easy it is to mar the finish.

As far as your average cheapo "soft fiber brush" like the one used in this test... I can safely say they are all, without a doubt, horrible and should never be allowed to touch anything but the inside of a garbage bin.

:iagree:

There was a thread recently that "reassured" us that Montana brushes are safe: but I would NEVER use one, since the potential for something going wrong is really huge!

IID
09-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for posting.
I don't personally use these advertised brushes just for that reason.Im not saying they don't work at not causing swirls/scratches,I'm just not comfortable using them.
I do see a place for them thou (cargo van roofs,tall vehicles,ect...).