PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations......

Djshadyad6
09-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Can someone break down some of the abbreviations that you guys use on this forum?

Finemess
09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Can someone break down some of the abbreviations that you guys use on this forum?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/5706-product-abbreviation-chart-acronyms.html

Djshadyad6
09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/5706-product-abbreviation-chart-acronyms.html

Sweet. Thanks. Lol.

NYYYCEandEEEEZY
09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
The tendency to use/overuse abbreviations is certainly something that can be attractive because of the obvious time saved and overall convenience, but it can easily be overdone. I was in the medical profession, and the abbreviations that are used are a ridiculous nightmare for the general, uninformed public.

Here, I quickly discovered the use/overuse of abbreviations to be a problem because I'm new to this site and most of these products. I'm enjoying the sharing of information and the learning process which is inherently involved, and I'm trying as hard as I can to soak up all the new information, but doing a search every time I see an abbreviation can easily be frustrating.

I can see where the list found on the link supplied by Finemess would be helpful, but many of the abbreviations I've been struggling to figure out aren't there.

For example:
I see UTTG all over the place, but never made the connection to Ultima Tire and Trim, a product that I'm now planning on ordering.
Just yesterday, I saw IPA, but had no idea the writer was referring to isopropyl alcohol.
I've also puzzled over BOGO, but the light finally went on over that one!

I don't know if there's a workable way to ever solve this issue, but the time one person saves can easily be the time someone else wastes trying to figure out the shorthand and, if these forums are all about information sharing, over the short term, there might be a problem with meeting that objective.

VISITOR
09-15-2012, 01:38 PM
spend time on a variety of forums and you'll come aquainted with the acronyms in no time (not to mention different knowledge/experience and openess). some more than others...

AutowerxDetailing
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
MF doesn't always mean Microfiber... Im the MAN

Texsox
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
^^lmao^^

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

Vegas Transplant
09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Sometimes you can enter the acronym in the search feature on the forum, or, at the store, and get an idea of the meaning.
Just yesterday I entered OCW in the gallery, and pic with OCW (long v.) in the description popped up.