PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally made my choice of a DA Polisher...

ReflectiveAuto
09-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Im going to pick up the Griots "6 DA today. After alot of research I decided to roll with that DA. Im already using the Griots 6" Red and Orange pads (smooth bottom) and I was wondering should I pick up some waffle pad's? Due to the design of a waffle type pad does it cut better?

ReflectiveAuto
09-13-2012, 04:36 PM
yes confirmed..I kinda went back to the PCXP for alittle bit but after seeing I would have to spend another $30 on a backing plate and the Griots comes with 1 for the same price plus its more powerful it seems like the choice for me. Now to head down to my Tacoma Griots store and pick it up now

Johny B
09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
yes confirmed..I kinda went back to the PCXP for alittle bit but after seeing I would have to spend another $30 on a backing plate and the Griots comes with 1 for the same price plus its more powerful it seems like the choice for me. Now to head down to my Tacoma Griots store and pick it up now

Very good choice comparing with the PC 7424XP which shows a lack of power with the 6.5"pads. I've purchase a PC and I hate this underpowered tool. .Can't wait to try my new 3401 Flex purchased few weeks ago.
Johny

ReflectiveAuto
09-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Very good choice comparing with the PC 7424XP which shows a lack of power with the 6.5"pads. I've purchase a PC and I hate this underpowered tool. .Can't wait to try my new 3401 Flex purchased few weeks ago.
Johny

Yes Im glad I got the GG "6 Polisher...its awesome...man this thing gets up like a F1 car showing its RPM's for the ladies.....

Madness87
09-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Johny

Agreed... If only Porter Cable actually read auto detailing forums. They should bump up their polisher with more power, provide a dependable sturdy 5" hook and loop backing plate etc.

I'd take Porter Cable over Griot's in a heartbeat. They actually design and manufacture their own tools and their quality is second to none.

No that there is anything wrong with Griots. I go to their Tacoma store once in a while, they have great products. I just wish they wouldn't sell a rebranded polisher, even with a supposed lifetime warranty.

Trey T
10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
This is a very misleading information. The PC 7424XP and Flex 3401 is a different design. The flex is a hybrid or cross-bread b/t a rotary and a DA.

True DA are free spinning pad, not forced like the Flex.

Johny

AutowerxDetailing
10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Im going to pick up the Griots "6 DA today. After alot of research I decided to roll with that DA. Im already using the Griots 6" Red and Orange pads (smooth bottom) and I was wondering should I pick up some waffle pad's? Due to the design of a waffle type pad does it cut better?

I love the LC Waffle Pro pads. They float like butter over the paint on a DA and are effortless to control on a rotary. The white pads offer amazing correction, on par with CCS Yellow.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52421-lake-country-waffle-pro-pads-interactive-review.html

dcjredline
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I too love my new GG DA! I polished my Formula on 2.5 and it did AWESOME even with the 6.5 pads. I was too nervous the first time out putting the speed up much higher.

I can tell you over some of the spots on the hood of that thing the GG DA was MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to control than my rotary! The hood has like a 3 angle spot by the bulge. The rotary would hit the next surface and want to shoot off some weird direction even though I had been using it for years now, the GG DA did NO SUCH THING and it was the first 10 mins i had been using it!!!

Shortspark
10-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I will have started driving exactly 50 years ago on my birthday, which will be in a few days on October 16. I washed and waxed my father's cars for even longer than that when I was a kid. In all those years I never touched an electric polisher of any kind although they have been around for as long as I can remember. Every car I have detailed through those years (and there have been a bunch!) I have worked on by hand.

I recently purchased an SUV and wanted to really do it right so I bought a Griot 6" polisher and an extra 5 1/2" backing plate and pads. My hands are no longer as strong as they once were and I can hardly get through a polish and sealant job anymore without my joints hurting. Because of that and the new SUV, I thought this would be the perfect time to invest in an electric polisher.

I began experimenting on my old truck, a friend's Sonata, my shower stall, the interior of my hot tub, counter tops, etc. You name it and I used the Griot on it. I came to the conclusion this was simply too much of a beast to put on my new Mercedes with its additional $1500 option special paint. But the more I experimented and used it the more confident I became and finally did my first detail with it and the Mercedes looks beautiful! It was easy and fast once I got the courage to try and I am certain the job came out better than if I had done it by hand.

I recommend the Griot polisher (although it is the only one I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it with) only because if I can do a good job with it anyone can. Once you practice a little with it and then put it on a car it is fool proof. I wish I had done this 50 years ago!!

Klasse Act
10-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Congrats on the GG 6" RO and before you know it, you'll get its smaller brother, the 3" GG RO. For my needs, this machine does the job:dblthumb2:

dcjredline
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Im considering just a smaller BP and pads for my 6". Is there any reason to have to go buy a whole other machine?

Jomax
10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Im considering just a smaller BP and pads for my 6". Is there any reason to have to go buy a whole other machine?

Time saving, all you do it grab the lil brother, instead of, finding the wrench, you somehow misplaced it,so after 10min of searching you finally found it. Then you need to take the 5in backing plate off, and put the 3 in on. Make sure it's tight, then crap, I somehow forgot to put on the washer!(very important). So you take off the 3in back plate, put the washer on, tighten it all up, now you're finally ready. Its worth buying mini me.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

dcjredline
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
LOL!!! I can deffinately understand that!!!

Eandras
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I have a PC, Griots 6 and 3 inch as well as a Flex 3401. I use the flex more now but still grab the Griots 6". My younger son uses the Griots on his car and seems to be taking that over.

Now if we can only find out why Nick has all those pallets of the griots da in the warehouse.

Ed