PDA

View Full Version : there are dye on leather seat from jean...

Pages : [1] 2

jackychai
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
my client's light grey leather seat was dyed by his regular jean in blue. and many people tried to take care of it but failed, I also failed with regular leather cleaner.

Do you guys think the Leather Master ink remover can remove it? or the Leatherique rejuxxxx oil can get the job done?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

DRT BRD
09-10-2012, 11:59 PM
my client's light grey leather seat was dyed by his regular jean in blue. and many people tried to take care of it but failed, I also failed with regular leather cleaner.

Do you guys think the Leather Master ink remover can remove it? or the Leatherique rejuxxxx oil can get the job done?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've had great luck using Meguiars leather cleaner or APC @ 10:1 using a horse hair interior brush. I followed that up with the appropriate leather conditioner. Be sure to test on a small area first.

What type of leather is it and what vehicle?

jackychai
09-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I've had great luck using Meguiars leather cleaner or APC @ 10:1 using a horse hair interior brush. I followed that up with the appropriate leather conditioner. Be sure to test on a small area first.

What type of leather is it and what vehicle?

just regular leather on 2006 lexus is250 i believe someone has tried on it already.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

storm100
09-11-2012, 12:22 AM
I've used OPC 4:1 on jean stains and a brush on an Avalon leather seat. Like paint, just work your way up from 10:1. I would stop at 3:1 though. Test an area first. Good Luck.

storm100
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
If you have a steam cleaner that works even better IMO.

A-train
09-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I would order the leather masters ink remover. Rejuvenator oil is great but not on ink in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Lasthope05
09-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Once ink or dye as been allowed to set no amount of APC will remove it. Steam might help, but it will also lightly damage the top coating of the leather.

I know Dave Fermani used Leatherdoctor's products with great sucess so I would look into that also. Roger Koh of LeatherDoctor is an expert in that area so I would give him an email if I were you.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/131735-leather-doctor-leather-ink-dye-stain-removal-kit-review.html

jfelbab
09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I've had good success with this:

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/images/products/lmLeatherDyeTransferCleaner_med.png

Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner - (http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Products/Leather-Dye-Transfer-Cleaner__LMLDTC.aspx)

JAF06SE
09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
It's cheap and you can get it anywhere. Turtle Wax Interior Cleaner. Used it many times on my wife's leather seats due to the exact same thing. Works really good.

master detailer
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
If you cant get it out you can always have it died back to new.I use a guy out of tampa fl he is the best I have seen.He comes to cape coral area every 3rd week. not cheap but good work never is.

jackychai
09-11-2012, 10:51 PM
haha. the guy is so skeptical that he afraid what i offer will damage his leather. i was offering him some leatherique or doctor leather.

jfelbab
09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Just a comment for the future... If you apply LM Protection Cream a couple times a year you won't have dye transfer issues to deal with again.

judyb
09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
We get many many enquiries every week about dye transfer on pale coloured leathers.

Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing or newsprint. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably.

As the title explains the dyes that are leached from jeans, clothing, newspapers etc. 'recolour' the leather. The longer or more aggressive the dyes are the harder it will be to remove as it will have moved further and deeper into the leather finish.

Dye transfer is not dirt and is not damaging to the leather finish, as dirt is, but it can look very unsightly and give the appearance of being very dirty.

Each case of dye transfer is different as each finish type on the leather will vary slightly as will the dyes from whatever has caused the problem.

If treated quickly enough any good quality leather cleaner should remove the offending dye as it will still be on the surface of the leather. If a leather protector has been used this will also help as the dye will be held on the surface for longer and be cleaned easier.

Once the dyes have moved into the finish they will become more and more difficult to remove. No 'one' product can guarantee to remove the dye in these circumstances without damaging the finish.

Cleaning aggressively should be avoided as this may lead to damage of the finish as will the use of such things as Magic Sponges. Scrubbing at the leather will not help and may damage the finish which would then need replacing.

If cleaning has not resolved the problem and dye remains it is recommended that you use a Jean & Dye Transfer Remover Kit which contains 2 further, specifically formulated products that can be safely tried without damaging the finish on the leather. If this cleaning process does not resolve the problem it is not because the products do not work but simply because the dye is very aggressive and has penetrated too deep into the finish for 'cleaning' processes to work. It will then be necessary to recolour/refinish the leather to completely resolve the problem.

Owners of pale and off-white leathers are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime which will help inhibit this problem.

Leather Guard is now also avaliable which s guaranteed for 12 months against dye transfer

Hope this helps
Any questions just ask

jackychai
09-12-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks guys. every bit of info helps.

and the leather doctor seems to be more expensive. how ever i could not find where for sale. so is leatherique my only choice?

doctordon
09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
We get many many enquiries every week about dye transfer on pale coloured leathers.

Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing or newsprint. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably.

As the title explains the dyes that are leached from jeans, clothing, newspapers etc. 'recolour' the leather. The longer or more aggressive the dyes are the harder it will be to remove as it will have moved further and deeper into the leather finish.

Dye transfer is not dirt and is not damaging to the leather finish, as dirt is, but it can look very unsightly and give the appearance of being very dirty.

Each case of dye transfer is different as each finish type on the leather will vary slightly as will the dyes from whatever has caused the problem.

If treated quickly enough any good quality leather cleaner should remove the offending dye as it will still be on the surface of the leather. If a leather protector has been used this will also help as the dye will be held on the surface for longer and be cleaned easier.

Once the dyes have moved into the finish they will become more and more difficult to remove. No 'one' product can guarantee to remove the dye in these circumstances without damaging the finish.

Cleaning aggressively should be avoided as this may lead to damage of the finish as will the use of such things as Magic Sponges. Scrubbing at the leather will not help and may damage the finish which would then need replacing.

If cleaning has not resolved the problem and dye remains it is recommended that you use a Jean & Dye Transfer Remover Kit which contains 2 further, specifically formulated products that can be safely tried without damaging the finish on the leather. If this cleaning process does not resolve the problem it is not because the products do not work but simply because the dye is very aggressive and has penetrated too deep into the finish for 'cleaning' processes to work. It will then be necessary to recolour/refinish the leather to completely resolve the problem.

Owners of pale and off-white leathers are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime which will help inhibit this problem.

Leather Guard is now also avaliable which s guaranteed for 12 months against dye transfer

Hope this helps
Any questions just ask
:iagree:Listen to this lady ... she knows what she's talking about. I wish I'd known these things early in my detailing career/hobby. It would have saved me and my clients a lot of aggravation.