PDA

View Full Version : the worst news ever!!

Neothin
05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
so ya... all day today i was up in orlando attending my transfer student orientation at UCF. around 4pm they let us leave so my mom and i decided to go check out a few of the off campus housing arrangements (because the on campus dorms have been full for 2 months). we head to an apartment complex and go take a tour. several pools, a large fitness center, sports facilities, awesome rooms. I sign up for a 4 bedroom each with its own bathroom and cable/internet hookup.

you may ask? "but why is that so bad Harrison? You just got someplace to live when you go to school!"

well my dear detailers, this apartment complex mocks me with its car washing station. Yes, they do have a car washing station... but here's the catch. 1. you have to pay to use it. 50 cents a minute for water. 2. it's not a normal hose, it's a high pressure hose with a weird end on it.

so, no more careful washes with the foam gun for me :( it won't hook up, and even if it did, i couldn't afford to pay the hour and a half it takes for me to properly wash my car.

*cries*

FloridaNative
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes Meghan has shared with us all about your washing techniques and that has to be a real blow to you! let's see at 50 cents a minute you would have to pay $45.00 to wash your car and with your 2-3 times a week that would be $135.00! That's some serious money to wash your car. Man, that stinks! But maybe you will befriend someone local who has a house and they can give you your fix at their house? It could happen. Best of luck to you man!

so ya... all day today i was up in orlando attending my transfer student orientation at UCF. around 4pm they let us leave so my mom and i decided to go check out a few of the off campus housing arrangements (because the on campus dorms have been full for 2 months). we head to an apartment complex and go take a tour. several pools, a large fitness center, sports facilities, awesome rooms. I sign up for a 4 bedroom each with its own bathroom and cable/internet hookup.

you may ask? "but why is that so bad Harrison? You just got someplace to live when you go to school!"

well my dear detailers, this apartment complex mocks me with its car washing station. Yes, they do have a car washing station... but here's the catch. 1. you have to pay to use it. 50 cents a minute for water. 2. it's not a normal hose, it's a high pressure hose with a weird end on it.

so, no more careful washes with the foam gun for me :( it won't hook up, and even if it did, i couldn't afford to pay the hour and a half it takes for me to properly wash my car.

*cries*

Meghan
05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes Meghan has shared with us all about your washing techniques and that has to be a real blow to you! let's see at 50 cents a minute you would have to pay $45.00 to wash your car and with your 2-3 times a week that would be $135.00! That's some serious money to wash your car. Man, that stinks! But maybe you will befriend someone local who has a house and they can give you your fix at their house? It could happen. Best of luck to you man!
Ohh Jen you are harsh, dont kick a man while he is down!!! :p
Harrison you come drive home every weekend I will lend you a hose, just have to wash mine first!! :righton:

FloridaNative
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Was I kicking him while down?? Oh I didn't realize. Sorry! :o I was calculating it out loud (if I can say that about typing on a keyboard) for my own curiosity. Sorry Harrison! But trust me, you'll find a way. :) I'm sure you'll get some professor that is a car enthusiast and he will let you detail at his house (as long as you do his too of course) and then you will get an A in class and then everything will be good and there will be world peace and they'll discover a way to make hamburgers and fries that don't make you fat and chocolate will be declared a health food and all will be right in the world! :p

Ohh Jen you are harsh, dont kick a man while he is down!!! :p
Harrison you come drive home every weekend I will lend you a hose, just have to wash mine first!! :righton:

Neothin
05-20-2006, 07:59 AM
no biggie native... i had already realized how much it was going to cost to wash the car.

i got to thinking about it though. If I go and buy a good cover from autogeek before I leave, I could just drive to orlando, QD the car, and leave it covered until I needed it. This apartment complex has shuttles that go to UCF every 15 minutes (and considering that the apartments are across the street from the school, i could walk if necessary). i dont actually have to drive to school! with a good cover i wouldnt have to worry about dirt, dew, and the biggy, people vandalizing/robbing the car (though now that I think of it, a covered car *does* scream mess with me).
do the weathershield covers come with lockable chains that I could use to hold the cover down? how many straps go underneith the car? is there an option for getting more?

Mike T
05-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Invest in a few gallons of Poorboy's S&W and more MF's.

ScottB
05-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Look around, there should be car wash facilities that are much cheaper. (yes they still have the high pressure systems) When we went thru water-restrictions in FL and I was forced to use them, I would go late late at night or very early in the morning and bucket wash. Its frowned upon but no-one was ever there.

And a good car cover is clearly a great purchase. You will still get some dirt, dust, and dew below it, but nowhere near the damage of letting it sit in an uncovered space 24/7. Weathershield and Noahs are always rated the best.