PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean upholestery?

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Do you use something like this Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/natural-horse-hair-interior-upholstery-brush.html)

or something else?

Flannigan
09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
It depends on the upholstery for me. If i'm working on tough, low pile, floor mats, I will use a stiff bristled brush to work in APC or even just to break up ground in dirt. For leather I always use a softer brush to make sure I don't damage the hide. For higher/softer carpets I try to use a brush that isn't so stiff, because a stiff brush could start ripping and tearing out the carpet fibers.

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
It depends on the upholstery for me. If i'm working on tough, low pile, floor mats, I will use a stiff bristled brush to work in APC or even just to break up ground in dirt. For leather I always use a softer brush to make sure I don't damage the hide. For higher/softer carpets I try to use a brush that isn't so stiff, because a stiff brush could start ripping and tearing out the carpet fibers.

I'm sorry I meant to specify for leather :xyxthumbs:

daveinsweethome
09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
i use purple colored pads. they are kind of microfiber outside with some thickness in the middle. about 5 inches by 8 so i cut them in two. just thre right amount of toughness for leather. first ones i found were from england and raceglaze but they stopped.

neat e34
09-11-2012, 04:40 AM
I like terry cloths. Have a little more bite than MF which helps for dirtier leather...

SANTA3013
09-11-2012, 11:47 PM
ONR for seats, door panels, dash and headliner. Folex for carpeted mats and floor carpet.

judyb
09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Natural and horsehair brushes are not really recommended for leather as when the bristles are wet they bend oo easily on the surface. A stiff bristled brush such as a dish washing brush is perfectly safe to use as long as you are not scrubbing the dirt out of the leather. The bristles re used o gently agitate the foam into the grain pattern so that it can lift the dirt safely. The dirt is then encapsulated in the fiam which can then be cleaned off with paper towel.
The reduction should always be formulated to do the work so that the least amount if aggression can be used.
Magic sponges should be avoided as they remove finish from the leather and microfibre cloths can also lift finish if it is unstable.

Hope this helps
Judyb

Larry A
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
ONR for seats, door panels, dash and headliner. Folex for carpeted mats and floor carpet.
ONR seems to work just like Megs Interior Detailer.