PDA

View Full Version : Is normal soap good enough to clean a tire?

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I shoot out the soap through a foam cannon. Is that good enough to clean the tire before putting on a dressing?

Flannigan
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Generally no. Usually at least a mild APC is needed to strip old dressing, and clean road grime from tires. You can also use certain solvents to do quick wipe downs of tires, that really deep clean them.

Johnnyboy
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I've only used the soap on the actual wheels that I have previously treated with some type of protectant like Collinite 845 or Wheel Wax.....not actual tires!

ReflectiveAuto
09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I just used Eagle 1 Tire and Wheel cleaner and I was very impressed with the quickness of the dirt and brake dust removal once I sprayed. I let it do its job and sprayed it off after about 3 minutes. I picked it up at my local autoparts store for like $3.49 or so. I will use it again.

lokerola
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I leave my wheels/tires for last in my washing process. After washing and drying the car, I go around with my 2 buckets and wash the wheels, tires, and wheel wells with the remaining soap. I use Megs D111 and it always cleans up everything nicely. Now, I do keep the daily driver washed at least weekly, so nothing ever gets very dirty. I also clayed my wheels in the spring and will occasionally put some Collinite 845 on them, so maybe that helps. But I don't go crazy with tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, etc. D111 along with some wheel brushes keep everything clean for me.

YMMV.

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I actually can not use tire dressing or wheel cleaners to clean my tires so that's why I was asking.

The reason is because I have plastidipped my wheels and if I use tire dressing or wheel cleaner, it kind of degrades the plastidip and makes it soft.

Here's a picture of my wheels:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398446&d=1342380837

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Generally no. Usually at least a mild APC is needed to strip old dressing, and clean road grime from tires. You can also use certain solvents to do quick wipe downs of tires, that really deep clean them.

what kind of solvents we talking about here?

CEE DOG
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I find scrubbing with a microfiber towel in the second round instead of the tire brush works a treat! Of course the stronger the cleaner the better on tires for me... But the MF is a great tool that doesn't seem to be utilized. Try it!

Bunky
09-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I find scrubbing with a microfiber towel in the second round instead of the tire brush works a treat! Of course the stronger the cleaner the better on tires for me... But the MF is a great tool that doesn't seem to be utilized. Try it!

I definitely agree.

I offer this challenge. Clean your tire normally then come back and use this a mf scrubbing pad as shown and you will see what was still on the tire.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2228_14479826.gif

Special Purchase Microfiber Scrubber Pads, tire scrubber pads, cleaning pads (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-scrubber-pads.html)

This applicator is easy to hold and can give the tire a good scrub. I also use some on glass to help break up surface film with glass cleaner.

FUNX650
09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I shoot out the soap through a foam cannon. Is that good enough to clean the tire before putting on a dressing?

I actually can not use tire dressing or wheel cleaners to clean my tires so that's why I was asking.

Sorry...But...Actually, for me...These highlighted statements are rather confusing information...even contradictory.

The reason is because I have plastidipped my wheels and if I use tire dressing or wheel cleaner, it kind of degrades the plastidip and makes it soft.

Have you already experimented; or, is that what the PlastiDip folks told you?
(1.800.969.5432 ext. 135)

Here's a picture of my wheels:

^^^:props:^^^

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398446&d=1342380837

BTW: Very nice looking vehicle! :dblthumb2:

:)

Bob

ihaveacamaro
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
BTW: Very nice looking vehicle! :dblthumb2:

Bob

I can be in my own world sometimes so what makes sense to me sometimes makes no sense at all to anyone else! Lol

Thanks for the compliment :xyxthumbs:

Let me try to explain better, So basically I'm trying to clean my tires and get them glossy. It was my understanding to use a tire cleaner to clean and then to use a tire dressing to get the gloss look. Is that correct? I've been told by others that wheel and tire cleaners negatively affect the plastidip (on a camaro forum). So what I'm trying to do is clean the tire only using soap and then use a dressing for the glossy look.

Btw, I like your vette too :D

FUNX650
09-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I can be in my own world sometimes so what makes sense to me sometimes makes no sense at all to anyone else! Lol

Thanks for the compliment :xyxthumbs:

Let me try to explain better, So basically I'm trying to clean my tires and get them glossy. It was my understanding to use a tire cleaner to clean and then to use a tire dressing to get the gloss look. Is that correct? I've been told by others that wheel and tire cleaners negatively affect the plastidip (on a camaro forum). So what I'm trying to do is clean the tire only using soap and then use a dressing for the glossy look.

Btw, I like your vette too :D

From the pics you posted...Your PlastiDip-ed wheels appear to be matte.
If so...I, personally, would prefer a matte-look on the tires. But that's just me.

I've only used PlastiDip on things such as tools (old ChanneLock pliers)
for better gripping purposes---since I have been stricken with:
'Cold Fingers Syndrome' from oberuse of tools that vibrate...

So even I don't always like to give "tips" for issues I've haven't personally dealt with, (such as yours)...
1. Get some P21S/S100 wheel-cleaners (HD dealerships, if in a hurry)
2. After the tires/wheels cleaning-processes...
Apply the number of coats it may take, to reach your degree of glossiness, with/of 303AP or Opti-Bond to the tires.
3. Call the number I posted for the PlastiDip folks.

BTW: I also want to Thank You for the compliment!

Bob

oldmodman
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
It might be just me, but I wash my tires, wheels, wheel wells, and rocker panels first.

I don't want to accidentally touch the dirtiest part of the car with a mitt, and transfer dirty grit to it when I am doing the easily marred painted sections.

And I use an older MF towel for the tires, wheel, and rocker panels. And it never touches my wash or rinse water.

And for soap I like Amazing Roll Off for those dirty bits.