PDA

View Full Version : combining waxes....

chemguy626
09-10-2012, 03:34 AM
What would be the pros and cons of combining 2 waxes together?(as in melting them together to create 1 wax) I wanted to try this with my 2 favorite waxes....wolfgang fuzion and CG lava wax.
I love the look of both...the glowing of the fuzion and the depth of lava. Would this just be a waste of wax? Would i have any issues with it bonding to the car? I would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks:buffing:

PPLd
09-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I remember there is a post about melting Autoglym HD with Wolfgang Fuzion.
It turn out to be a piece of wax that is rock hard...

Mike Phillips
09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
All my online life I've read of people doing this and sometimes they're happy with the results and sometimes they're not.

I think chemistry is a lot more involved than most people think, kind of like making a cake. One person makes a cake by throwing all the ingredients in at one time, mixing it up and baking and the cake comes out flat and hard. Another person follows the directions and mixes specific ingredients in specific ways and then bakes the cake and it comes out tall and fluffy.

Mixing a batch of wax, sealant or a coating is likely a LOT more complicated than making a cake and I don't think you can simply mix one product with another and actually have the end results be something that will work as well as a product made by a real chemist.

I don't have any problems with someone trying, heck it's your wax do as you will but I would suggest instead of trying to mix products to make a new distinct product, do some research and you'll probably find whatever it is you're trying to make is already available in a ready-to-use form.

The only exception to the above is if you have a company that makes products that are formulated, designed and intended to be mixed, like Duragloss and Ultima for example...

Dodo Juice also offers people a way to make their own wax...

Mike Phillips & pj Aass Show YOU How to Make Your Own Wax! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/45842-mike-phillips-pj-aass-show-you-how-make-your-own-wax.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1318/SynergyGreenCamaro21.jpg

How to Machine Wax and Seal the Paint

After the polishing step it's time to seal the paint with a coat of wax. For this we're going to use the Cucumber Explosion my son and I made over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Cucumber Explosion! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/43588-cucumber-explosion.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1324/CucumberExplosioin03.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

The Moose
09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm thinking it would be easier to apply a first coat of one and then top it with the other.

I also think the hardening cited above is probably from melting the waxes down too quickly, some of the ingredients probably evaporated or "transformed" in one way or another. If you were to melt and combine, i'd say to it very very slowly. But thats just me, i'm not a chemist, and I've never actually tried it before...

chemguy626
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
All my online life I've read of people doing this and sometimes they're happy with the results and sometimes they're not.

I think chemistry is a lot more involved than most people think, kind of like making a cake. One person makes a cake by throwing all the ingredients in at one time, mixing it up and baking and the cake comes out flat and hard. Another person follows the directions and mixes specific ingredients in specific ways and then bakes the cake and it comes out tall and fluffy.

Mixing a batch of wax, sealant or a coating is likely a LOT more complicated than making a cake and I don't think you can simply mix one product with another and actually have the end results be something that will work as well as a product made by a real chemist.

I don't have any problems with someone trying, heck it's your wax do as you will but I would suggest instead of trying to mix products to make a new distinct product, do some research and you'll probably find whatever it is you're trying to make is already available in a ready-to-use form.

The only exception to the above is if you have a company that makes products that are formulated, designed and intended to be mixed, like Duragloss and Ultima for example...

Dodo Juice also offers people a way to make their own wax...

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the advise Mike. I see what you are saying and I would hate to waste a perfectly good jar of wax(in this case 2). I really want to attempt to make my own wax from scratch. I know the dodo juice homebrew is somewhat tailored to that, but i want to go a step further and do it all myself. Im the MAN