PDA

View Full Version : What's a good weekly wheel cleaner ( inexpensive ) APC cleaner, or other suggestions?

ShineMyCar
09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I just started taking care of a few cars. Been using Eagle Aluminum wheel cleaner that I picked up @ Autozone and the wheels look shiny and great after cleaning. Needed a little more agitating that I'd like, but it was a first wash, and I don't think weekly washes will be as bad at the first go around. The product isn't expensive, but it doesn't last very long for a bottle.

I'd like to replace the Eagle Wheel Cleaner with something more economical that I can buy in larger volume and still get the same great results with weekly cleanings.

The cars' Wheels I'm cleaning are

1) Factory finished Alloy Wheels
2) Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels.

The products I'm considering to replace the Eagle Aluminum Wheel Cleaner are:

1) McGuiar's D103 ( with Dilution, looks like the best bang for the buck - is this safe / good for weekly use )
2) Optimum Power Clean ( would consider this if it's better than D103 )

3)..... I'm Open to other suggestions.

* Are both the above safe enough for Weekly cleaning?
* I plan to use em in the winter to clean wheels in a unheated garage when weather permits. Would either of these products be better or worse for indoor cleaning with minimum water available in the winters?
* Are either of these products going to create unhealthy fumes when using if diluted ?
* Are there other suggestions that I missed that would be equally as good, if not better than the above listed.

I'm still very new to this detail thing, so building my working knowledge, and working on building a product list I like one segment at a time. Wheel cleaner is the area I'm focusing on right now, as I'm going to have to replace my current product after next week's cleaning.

Thanks

Lasthope05
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
You shouldnt need a wheel cleaner once you have them cleaned up real good. Apply a wax or sealant on the wheels and all you will need to clean them is soap and water.

If you want economical any APC will do fine diluted as a general purpose wheel cleaner. Some are slightly more effective then others but for a lightly soiled wheel, there will be no difference.

rider9195
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM
As you mentioned, the first time cleaning your wheels is usually the hardest it will be. Both Meguiar's APC+ and Opt Power Clean would be too strong for weekly cleaning. I have gotten away with a little bit of car soap that I have left over.

richy
09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Zep Citrus at 4:1. Available locally at Home Depot or Lowes for about $11/gal. Amazing stuff and cheap with no shipping.

Flannigan
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
If you clean them well once, and apply a nice sealant to them, you shouldn't need to use anymore than your car wash soap to keep them clean. Even if you miss a week here and there, it shouldn't be an issue. Using a wheel cleaner weekly is just a waste of money honestly.

Ron Atchison
09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Be very careful about using any wheel cleaner that has acid in it on Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels. Whats safe on finished coated/painted alloy wheels may not be safe for bare alloy or billet wheels.

ShineMyCar
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Be very careful about using any wheel cleaner that has acid in it on Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels. Whats safe on finished coated/painted alloy wheels may not be safe for bare alloy or billet wheels.

I've read about that. It's what led to starting this thread. I'm going to play around with sealing the wheels this winter to see what kindof results I get and I'll know more by spring.

The cleaner I have been using is safe for Aluminum wheels. Was hoping to get an alternative for it that would still be safe.

* I think the Optimum is non-acid based
* I haven't been able to find the answer on the McGuiar's APC product yet though.

Lasthope05
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Both are alkaline cleaners(as is almost all APC's) and safe for all wheels so you shouldnt really have to worry about it. Dedicated wheel cleaners are the ones that can be one or the other.

ReflectiveAuto
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I got the Eagle 1 wheel and tire cleaner for $3.99....it worked great.

glen e
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree with what's written written here... if your wheels are not sealed with some type of polymer sealant, then you'll be cleaning a lot. However any of the polymer sealants out there do a great job of sealing the wheel so that even carwash soap can clean them easily. I just give them a swipe w/ their own wheel mitt before I do the car. Two sealantss I use are Ultima Paint guard plus and Blackfire crystal seal. Collinite 845 is another good one.

sahrcar
09-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Clean em good once then put a sealant wax on them. Klasse is otc one that will work fine for the wheels. After that just mild soap & water should work, if not bad, window cleaner will do too. If you really want to wash every week Id say invest in a steam cleaner. I've used a Mcculloch mc1275 for a couple years to do everything from interiors, carpets, upholstery, engine bays, wheels, removing wall paper, windows, & a few othes. Machine takes 10min to heat up and steams for 50min of use. I got mine off ebay for just $75 with shipping.

builthatch
09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
first...optimum opti-coat

then from that point forward, powerclean @ 5:1, let dwell a bit and hit it with a powerwasher.

done.

:wipes hands:

ShineMyCar
09-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Clean em good once then put a sealant wax on them. Klasse is otc one that will work fine for the wheels. After that just mild soap & water should work, if not bad, window cleaner will do too. If you really want to wash every week Id say invest in a steam cleaner.

I'm very new to this. I'm still experimenting. Right now, I'm cleaning weekly. I'll settle into a schedule as I learn more what it takes to keep the daily drivers where I want em.

AC in OC
09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I would do what most are suggesting, in that you do a thorough cleaning first, then use a sealer to protect your hard work. The following week, depending on how dirty they get, just use mild soap and water to maintain the wheels/tires. There's a pretty detailed "How To" article on this I'm going to try soon: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/36137-how-properly-clean-protect-maintain-wheels-tires.html

I'm new to all this so I'm picking up products as I can here & there. I've got a shipment coming in early this week so next weekend should allow me the time to get crackin on my rides. :xyxthumbs: