PDA

View Full Version : Can you have too much wax on your car?

Pages : [1] 2

Old Man
09-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I just clayed the hood,roof,and trunk. Then applied Fuzion, (so,so easy on and off).

As I was washing it beforehand, I noticed that I had a hard time getting the water and soap,(Ultima) to even stick on the car. Made me laugh.

In May, I clayed it, then Wolfgang PPE, 2 coats of Optiseal, 1 coat of 915, 1 coat of Fuzion.

It looks great. What do you see when there are too much LSP's? Does it get cloudy, lose it's shine?

Thanks.

oldmodman
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I did the "too much wax" experiment a couple of years ago.

I put another coat of plain old nuba on the car every weekend for six months.
After about a dozen coats the color stopped looking 'deeper" and just started looking "dirty"?
The finish didn't have any snap to the way it looked.
But it sure as hell did bead!
It also stopped feeling clean and started to feel bumpy or lumpy.
But not as bad as when you wax your surfboard.

habeba86
09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes

Vegas Transplant
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I did the "too much wax" experiment a couple of years ago.

It also stopped feeling clean and started to feel bumpy or lumpy.

As in needing to be clayed? Feed back please TIA!

:goodpost:Glad that you posted this. I found that my twice weekly Opti-Seal/OCW (alternating) was leaving the finish in need of claying after a few weeks, as opposed to 6 months or so.

I've since lightly clayed, and backed off to LSP'ing once weekly. Resulting in considerably less roughness after washing.

Jaretr1
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Thats a good question. Here is something interesting I noticed. I had been using Megs #21 or #26 every 3 or 4 months and maintaining regularly every two weeks with either UQW or XMT Spray Wax. A few weeks ago I got the Fuzion on the VIP so I figured let me strip everything off the paint and start fresh. I used Griots paint prep. After I was done, small scratches and slight imperfections I couldnt before see became much more obvious. I guess there are nice fillers in the above mentioned products that were doing a pretty good job of hiding some of the light scratches after all. Now that I think of it, not sure how this answers the original question.

Larry A
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
It seems to me that the more you wax a car , the more you have too.

c5errr
09-10-2012, 12:59 AM
before i got to the real detailing and before i ever knew of autogeek site and before reading mike philips articles and videos

i was waxing the car about twice a week using megs NXT 2.0

but later after reading too much
i ordered the porter cable and pads then used it on my corvette c5 to remove defects then glaze it then seal the shine

and after that just a weekly wash with megs gold class then gold class detailer
and after every wash the car looks like it just got polished and waxed

in my opinion
if u have time for it u can do it once a week but that is (wash then wax)

some people just wipe down the car then wax
and that will defenetly instill swirls

i have read about the kozak dry wash and can be found at autogeek
but i have never used it

and instead of using a normal wax which will make a layer over a layer over a layer - use a cleaner wax that way u will remove any previous coat of wax and fillers and oiles
this way u can control the usage of the cleaner wax

as if u used it with a cutting pad (hand or machine) with too much pressure on the pad u will remove swirls

and if u used it just like a finishing wax like putting a very thin coat without any pressure maybe a little bit buffing this way you will remove old wax and put this new coat and will not remove any swirls which is obviously not removing paint

carnut12
09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I have been using Eagle one for years and maintaining with a Kozak Dry wash cloth - works great and keeps my cars looking like new!

Waxmax
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
After 3-4 layers over a few months, I clean off everything and start again. It just seems fresher and "better" to clean and redo, rather than keep layering. I "try" to only polish once a year to conserve clearcoat.

cleanmycorolla
09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
After 3-4 layers over a few months, I clean off everything and start again. It just seems fresher and "better" to clean and redo, rather than keep layering. I "try" to only polish once a year to conserve clearcoat.
You and I think alike!:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AGOletter.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/autogeekorderform.jpg

:)

Bob (AKA: FUNX725)

Blackthorn One
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AGOletter.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/autogeekorderform.jpg

:)

Bob (AKA: FUNX725)
What? No E-Zyme? lol
To the OP, I once put 8 coats of Griot's Best of Show Wax on a bumper, because it was hiding more and more of the scratches in it, until the 9th coat, when it started to look cloudy.

Blackthorn One
09-28-2012, 07:50 PM
in my opinion
if u have time for it u can do it once a week but that is (wash then wax)

some people just wipe down the car then wax
and that will defenetly instill swirls

and instead of using a normal wax which will make a layer over a layer over a layer - use a cleaner wax that way u will remove any previous coat of wax and fillers and oiles
this way u can control the usage of the cleaner wax

as if u used it with a cutting pad (hand or machine) with too much pressure on the pad u will remove swirls

and if u used it just like a finishing wax like putting a very thin coat without any pressure maybe a little bit buffing this way you will remove old wax and put this new coat and will not remove any swirls which is obviously not removing paint

If you are using a cleaner wax once a week, you are polishing the car once a week. How can you really guarantee that you aren't polishing the paint at all during this process and only removing the previous layer of wax? I don't think you can.
I realize that there is an art to this, but I still think it unwise.

c5errr
09-29-2012, 01:46 AM
If you are using a cleaner wax once a week, you are polishing the car once a week. How can you really guarantee that you aren't polishing the paint at all during this process and only removing the previous layer of wax? I don't think you can.
I realize that there is an art to this, but I still think it unwise.

well that depend on your technique - and the product u use because some cleaner waxes have very light abrasives and some have strong abrasives
i never tried this because i only wax my car 3 or 4 times a year and everyweek its a wash and spray wax or QD

in the past i was waxing my car almost twice a week but couldnt see any improvment
the only improvment was the extreme slickness but thats it

so removing a layer and putting a fresh layer is better but again it depend on the technique and product

the best cleanerwax i have ever tried is megs paste cleaner wax

BobbyG
09-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Personally, I believe you actually can, especially if they're applied only a week or two apart.

The finish of your car is very hard yet over time it accumulates dirt, grime, stains that actually become embedded. Waxes are soft, very soft and even though you meticulously wash and care for your car the soft wax will collect everything and begin to look soiled or dull.

Coatings like Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 and CarPro CQuartz are hard permanent coatings and resist much of the airborne contaminants so give these a try.