PDA

View Full Version : Pulling trigger for a 3401

Eandras
09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Have a 3401 in cart and wanted to know if the 4 3/8" kit will just attach to the unit. I have a lot of 5.5 inch pads that I want to use up. Please advise as i want to place order tonight or tomorrow morning.

Ed

Feed back please

snowking724
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Can't answer your question but I will say that I frequently use my 5.5 pads on my PC and Flex with the standard BP.

SonOfOC
09-07-2012, 08:50 PM
The 4 3/8" fits fine. The stock Flex 3401 BP is exactly 5.5" and will also work with 5.5" pads, just that you will "zero" cushion around the BP; not recommended for novice users.

I actually use the stock 5.5" BP more than the 4" or 4 3/8" BP. It easier for me to change back and forth from 5.5 to 6.5 pads using one size BP.

Eandras
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I have a GG 6" with the 5" plate and 5.5" pads. I also have a PC7242 with the 5" plate as well as a GG 3". How much difference is the flex?

I am a novice user. I am also getting 6.5" pads as well. Just want to be flex ible with the 15% discount it makes it worth it.

snowking724
09-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I have a PC as well, but then I got a good deal on a Flex. So glad I got it, it's such a great machine. From the smooth operation to the layout of the controls, all around a great machine.

SonOfOC
09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Having owned pratically all the da and rotaries made in last 10 years, the biggest difference with the Flex 3401 vs traditional DA is the smoothness of the machine and the trigger.

The trigger is an extremely valuable feature. You can feather the speed to spread material.

Traditional DAs are teeth-rattling, on/off only, hand-numbing, orbiting vibrators. The Flex is not, it's forced rotation mechanics is significantly smoother.

You have a few DAs already, why not add a rotary polisher like the Flex PE-14 to your arsenal?

I have a GG 6" with the 5" plate and 5.5" pads. I also have a PC7242 with the 5" plate as well as a GG 3". How much difference is the flex?

I am a novice user. I am also getting 6.5" pads as well. Just want to be flex ible with the 15% discount it makes it worth it.

Eandras
09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I prefer the ease of use of a da. Have seen too many horror stories with rotaries. I have one to use from a friend and have used it and didn't like the feel. As you stated theflex is smooth and easy to handle.

Thanks all for the replies. Just orders the following

Flex 3401
4 3/8 backing plates
6 Pads as follows
2 cyan
2 tangerine
2 crimson
All 6.5".

Have currently yellow,orange, green,white,grey,blue, and red in LC CCS 5.5" .

604_Snooze
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I only have a PC, is the flex 3401 more powerful than the GG 6"?
It is about $200 more.

Eandras
09-07-2012, 11:21 PM
From what I understand the flex is more like a rotary. You use less pressure and more a tad faster. Bigger pads as well as it is a force rotation. The GG has a lot of power compared to the PC. The flex as someone noted above the flex is smoother with less vibration

CHALM
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
From what I understand the flex is more like a rotary. You use less pressure and more a tad faster. Bigger pads as well as it is a force rotation. The GG has a lot of power compared to the PC. The flex as someone noted above the flex is smoother with less vibration

I have one and love it. However, I do miss the ease of use with my PC (i.e. being able to maneuver better). It's not a huge difference between the two machines, but enough to make me notice. I'll probably get another PC soon for areas that don't allow my FLEX to roam. Currently, I am using the smaller of the two Flex plates, to accomodate the 5.5" LC pads and Optimum MF pads. I usually don't run 6.5" pads, but might revisit that option down the road. Sorry for the novel, but you'll love the purchase. :xyxthumbs:

CHALM
09-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I only have a PC, is the flex 3401 more powerful than the GG 6"?
It is about $200 more.

Don't own a GG, but have seen guys do great work with them. The only reason I went with the FLEX, was due to the reputation. As far as power is concerned, I'd have to try both out to make that call. However, the forced rotation of the FLEX 3401 is amazing!!!