PDA

View Full Version : Polishing glass roof with tint.

rider9195
09-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Hey guys. My dad recently picked up a used glass top for his C6. GM describes it as a smoked glass top because of the tint on it. The top has some water spots on it mainly and I am looking to get rid of it.

So would it be okay using a glass polish on a top like this with it being tinted? Last thing I want is to ruin the tint.

Vegas Transplant
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I think that the part is Lexan.

tuscarora dave
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I know that glass polishing has the potential to generate high heat using a rotary. As I recall in CEE DOG's reviews, heat wasn't a major issue when Corey used a Flex 3401. I'd think the heat factor would be what could possibly cause damage to the tint

tuscarora dave
09-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I [i]think[i] that the part is Lexan.
If this is the case, I'd be thinking a chemical polishing approach rather than an abrasive approach. Something like Poorboy's World Pro Polish or Meguiar's Plast-X with a softer foam pad like white polishing pad.

rider9195
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently doing some more research.

ScottB
09-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I think that the part is Lexan.

The top is indeed a polycarbonate lexan makeup. Has been on the C5 and C6. It does also have a coating on it for UV protection. I used Plexus on mine since new and sold it and new owner suggested it looked better than new.

SON1C
09-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd try a chemical water spot remover

Vegas Transplant
09-08-2012, 02:43 PM
The top is indeed a polycarbonate lexan makeup. Has been on the C5 and C6. It does also have a coating on it for UV protection. I used Plexus on mine since new and sold it and new owner suggested it looked better than new.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently doing some more research.

hard water spots on lexan / clear / plastic top? - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/1481912-hard-water-spots-on-lexan-clear-plastic-top.html)

What is best for cleaning my Lexan Clear Top - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/1172378-what-is-best-for-cleaning-my-lexan-clear-top.html)

For your viewing pleasure...and you're welcome rider9195.