PDA

View Full Version : Vette correction ???

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Got a 2004 vette correction on Sunday coming up. Any good combos??? Clear hard or soft?

rider9195
09-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Super hard clear coat. Menzerna and Meguiar's products seem to work well for me.

Mike Phillips
09-07-2012, 06:12 AM
The factory clears are very hard on Corvettes, most people use M105 or Ultimate Compound for removing swirls and scratches. After that you can polish out with it's twin M205 or any of the Optimum, Blackfire, Pinnacle or Menzerna polishes.

If you're using a DA style polisher like a Porter Cable, the key is to only work a small section at a time. Most institutional authorities recommend a 2' x 2" area but that's too big for a PC style tool and way to big for hard clears so tackle smaller sections and you'll see better correction results faster.

:xyxthumbs:

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 06:49 AM
I will use menz 1500 and menz 4000 with my flex pe-14 . Pads??

tuscarora dave
09-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Pay extra attention to sharp body lines and trim pieces where you should place tape over to protect from cutting through the paint. With the hard clear you'll likely be putting your rotary through it's phases and it's not hard to lose focus. You'll likely need to use a wool pad when working with the Menz. 1500. In my experience working on Corvettes, 1500 breaks down before getting the correction done on this super hard clear. You may want to have a bottle of M-105 close by just in case 1500 isn't cutting the way you need it to.

Be careful running your rotary on the very front and very rear sections of the car because those plastic body parts will hold the heat from compounding and polishing and can over heat very quickly causing the potential for a paint wrinkle or burn. Use Mike Phillips "Fight or Flight" technique very often on this job. If you check and the paint surface is getting really hot, stop and move to another section then come back to the overheated section for some more compounding once it has had sufficient time to cool off.

Be careful compounding around the vent area on the front fenders. Your rotary pads can grab the edge of that vent and cause damage very quickly.

If you've given the customer a time frame to get this job done, double it so you have time to get it done without trying to rush things. Correcting paint this hard can be very frustrating if you're not exactly sure what to expect. I was shocked at how long it was taking the first time I did a corvette.

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Thank for the reply . Pic will be up late Sunday or early Monday

SeaJay's
09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
The factory clears are very hard on Corvettes, most people use M105 or Ultimate Compound for removing swirls and scratches. After that you can polish out with it's twin M205 or any of the Optimum, Blackfire, Pinnacle or Menzerna polishes.

If you're using a DA style polisher like a Porter Cable, the key is to only work a small section at a time. Most institutional authorities recommend a 2' x 2" area but that's too big for a PC style tool and way to big for hard clears so tackle smaller sections and you'll see better correction results faster.

:xyxthumbs:

Pay extra attention to sharp body lines and trim pieces where you should place tape over to protect from cutting through the paint. With the hard clear you'll likely be putting your rotary through it's phases and it's not hard to lose focus. You'll likely need to use a wool pad when working with the Menz. 1500. In my experience working on Corvettes, 1500 breaks down before getting the correction done on this super hard clear. You may want to have a bottle of M-105 close by just in case 1500 isn't cutting the way you need it to.

Be careful running your rotary on the very front and very rear sections of the car because those plastic body parts will hold the heat from compounding and polishing and can over heat very quickly causing the potential for a paint wrinkle or burn. Use Mike Phillips "Fight or Flight" technique very often on this job. If you check and the paint surface is getting really hot, stop and move to another section then come back to the overheated section for some more compounding once it has had sufficient time to cool off.

Be careful compounding around the vent area on the front fenders. Your rotary pads can grab the edge of that vent and cause damage very quickly.

If you've given the customer a time frame to get this job done, double it so you have time to get it done without trying to rush things. Correcting paint this hard can be very frustrating if you're not exactly sure what to expect. I was shocked at how long it was taking the first time I did a corvette.

I agree 100% with both of these.

I attempted to correct with my PC only and it was just taking me way too long. Ensure you tape up all the body lines, etc like Dave said. And be sure it's going to take you way longer than you expected. And ensure your customer knows that as well. My first vette took me 3 days approximately 28 hours.

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the hints . The client is getting a one step correction. He has about 5 exotics . The vette is his daily driver . It's in good condition. I think it is a test detail.

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
A boat detailer is going lend me his flex da to try it.:)

ScottB
09-07-2012, 07:41 PM
SIP and 085rd ...

luv a shine
09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
What pads