PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with a broken arm?? Realities?? Help?

Pages : [1] 2

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey so, broke my arm last night, been home all day bumming. Hanging here on the forums etc, got me thinking though. I had some family cars coming up, in need a strip, and reapplication of sealant/waxes. I can't use my Griots for this, due to the arm, can I realistically use a prewax cleaner like Blackfire GEP, Wolfgang PPE, or Pinnacle Lotion by hand to clean the pain, then reapply some layers of sealants? Or will i not be able to clean by hand with those?? Thoughts?? :xyxthumbs:

Becciasm
09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
No good Chris. Hope for a speedy recovery. What was the cause if I may ask?

You can definitely use a product like a pre-wax cleaner, AIO, etc, by hand.. it just takes a long time (intolerably long if you are used to using a machine). The products you mentioned will do just fine by hand :xyxthumbs:

Hey so, broke my arm last night, been home all day bumming. Hanging here on the forums etc, got me thinking though. I had some family cars coming up, in need a strip, and reapplication of sealant/waxes. I can't use my Griots for this, due to the arm, can I realistically use a prewax cleaner like Blackfire GEP, Wolfgang PPE, or Pinnacle Lotion by hand to clean the pain, then reapply some layers of sealants? Or will i not be able to clean by hand with those?? Thoughts?? :xyxthumbs:

Blackthorn One
09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think you should do any rubbing with your broken arm. You might be able to use it to hold a towel.

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
No good Chris. Hope for a speedy recovery. What was the cause if I may ask?

You can definitely use a product like a pre-wax cleaner, AIO, etc, by hand.. it just takes a long time (intolerably long if you are used to using a machine). The products you mentioned will do just fine by hand :xyxthumbs:

Thats what I figured, but I know my arm couldnt hold up to the machines vibrations and power! I just wasn't sure that if by hand I could really work those cleaners in good enough to strip my previous lsp layers on their car.

Since you asked, and I dont mind telling, I was a total clutz and during my run last night, as I was rounding the corner on my way home, i took and odd turn angle, my ankle buckled, and while bracing to fall decided to land with all my weight and force on my arm! hahahahh, nothing like having my 10 year old neighbor while playing with her bike come and help me up giggling asking if I was okay! hahaha

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think you should do any rubbing with your broken arm. You might be able to use it to hold a towel.

I won't be, I'll be using my good arm and hand! A towel rack for my arm sounds like a good one, I was thinking it could hold the product I'm using too!:dblthumb2:

loudog2
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I dislocated my shoulder a few times. That is why my old PC is staying in the arsenal. I can do a whole car with one hand using that. I just snaked the cord through the sling and around my neck. Gets a little tiring, but it can be done.

Vegas Transplant
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
If you're in NVA, I'm willing to lend you a hand...hit me up with a PM neighbor.

Oh, sorry about your misfortune.

stibuki
09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Having broken more than my fair share of bones including my arm I can tell you there are certain motions that will cause great pain (stating the obvious) and the possibility of having the bone reset! Not a pleasant experience. What part of your arm did you break (clean break or fracture) and what type of cast did they use as that will really dictate what your capable of. If it's anything north of the elbow I can tell you from personal experience that you should refrain for at least a month depending on age.

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Having broken more than my fair share of bones including my arm I can tell you there are certain motions that will cause great pain (stating the obvious) and the possibility of having the bone reset! Not a pleasant experience. What part of your arm did you break (clean break or fracture) and what type of cast did they use as that will really dictate what your capable of. If it's anything north of the elbow I can tell you from personal experience that you should refrain for at least a month depending on age.

I broke two carpals near my pinky and the ulna bone on my arm. Clean break, right in the middle, not past the elbow however.

Right now it is in a full cast, and in 2-3 weeks, it will be in a 3quarter cast, and from there the doctor hasn't really said yet, or at least the pain meds made me forget most of what went down last night.

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2012, 04:07 PM
If you're in NVA, I'm willing to lend you a hand...hit me up with a PM neighbor.

Oh, sorry about your misfortune.

Kind offer sir! I'm in So Cal, so unless you're up for a road trip! :dblthumb2:

Too kind though, much appreciated! You're a classy fellow!

Vegas Transplant
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
My bad, hand! {no pun intended}

I thought that you were from Northern VA.

Good luck!

drbobbybones
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Where did you break it? (I'm an orthopedic surgeon)

Prewax cleaner by hand is definitely possible but slow. Sounds like you're gonna have some time on your hands though (sorry for the pun :) )

drbobbybones
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
whoops, just saw your post. which carpal bones? I hope not the scaphoid...

sahrcar
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I broke my wrist in 4 places a few years ago. I live in Charleston, SC by the beach so Im a total beach bum. My friends convinced me to go try snowboarding even though I had never skied or boarded ever before. Broke it doing that. I cracked my scaphoid 3/4 of the way through, and the big bone in the wrist/ forearm area 1/2 way through and 2 of the smaller carpals by my pinkie.

I was in a cast for 11 months and being incapacitated for all that time I really wanted to do something productive. At the time I only lived 150 yds from the ocean and knew that all that salt air was damaging my metallic red suv. That was when I first decided to start washing & waxing my own vehicle. I think it took me almost 7 hours to do it all one handed since I had to take frequent breaks due to pain meds and swelling going on with my broken areas. One of those days where the phrase No Pain No Gain really had meaning. Keep a bottle of motrine nearby... Good luck!

CEE DOG
09-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Very sorry to hear of your arm. If you want to you can most certainly do a lot with one arm. Where there's a will there's a way. I hope you heal fast also. Best regards