PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 Question

Wayneezy
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I read the other day that a lot of people use a different type wax over the collinite 845 to give it more shine and depth. Can anyone let me know what is was and what the best type is. Thanks for the help :)

jjj
09-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I top my 845 with pinnacle souveran or poorboy natty blue or pinnacle Sig series. I have black and others too, so that's why I stock up on nuba toppers.

jjj
09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
And if you meant by over as instead of, is say it was a sealant like pb, dp, wolfgang, etc.

Wayneezy
09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
No i meant over top of the 845. Do you use a spray or paste carnabua on top of it?

rider9195
09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I recently topped 845 with DG Aquawax for some extra protection and a awesome look!

jjj
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I use paste. Some folks say let the 845 cure for 12 or so hours. I have let it cure for that time and I also just top it right after. I haven't noticed a difference. I would say it depends on how paint was prep. If you notice streaking after first panel of paste wax, let it cure and solvents air. then apply paste. Just my opinion. Good luck.

primo spaghetti
09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I recently topped 845 with DG Aquawax for some extra protection and a awesome look!

aquawax is nice stuff...i also like the nattys liquid blue on dark colours.

LPfromNJ
09-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I wanted the Collinite 845 due to it's protection and sheeting action. I also would like to know (like the OP) if another wax could be applied on top of it for a glossier look. Only thing I'm wondering is, if another wax that turns out not as good as the 845 is applied over it, wouldn't it sheet only as good as the wax that's over it? I would assume a paint sealant would be a better topper? I was really interested in the BlackFire Paint sealant over the 845. Anyone try that yet? Thank you.

stibuki
09-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I wanted the Collinite 845 due to it's protection and sheeting action. I also would like to know (like the OP) if another wax could be applied on top of it for a glossier look. Only thing I'm wondering is, if another wax that turns out not as good as the 845 is applied over it, wouldn't it sheet only as good as the wax that's over it? I would assume a paint sealant would be a better topper? I was really interested in the BlackFire Paint sealant over the 845. Anyone try that yet? Thank you.

You'll be fine applying wax over #845 as long as it's a pure wax with no cleaners but the surface will take on whatever property's come with that top coat. Well at least till it wears off. In all but a few cases a sealant would not be a better topper as is designed to be applied and bonded directly to a clean finished surface or itself (like in a second coat) or a product with similar or complementary properties for longevity. You usualy want the most durable products at the bottom and then layer up from there.

LPfromNJ
09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
You'll be fine applying wax over #845 as long as it's a pure wax with no cleaners but the surface will take on whatever property's come with that top coat. Well at least till it wears off. In all but a few cases a sealant would not be a better topper as is designed to be applied and bonded directly to a clean finished surface or itself (like in a second coat) or a product with similar or complementary properties for longevity. You usualy want the most durable products at the bottom and then layer up from there.

Thank you for the replies. I've tried all kinds of waxes over the years and detailed some cars unprofessionally. I've always had spotless cars myself. However, I am slightly addicted to spray waxes after almost every wash. I use Nanowax and Mother's reflections all the time. Love the stuff. I don't know if they contain those cleaners but do you think they would be safe as touch up with the 845 say after a month? or is it not even worth it if the 845 lasts as long as advertised?

Paint sealants are new to me so please forgive the nooby questions. I currently use Mother's reflections car wax and top coat and the results are stunning but always looking for that extra WOW factor. Are these compatible with 845 too? Thank you.

BWG707
09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I use XMT 360 Spray Wax sometimes to give my paint slickness, but if I really want to bump up the shine I use Wet Glaze 2.0. WG 2.0 can be used underneath or on top of your LSP.

jjj
09-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Thank you for the replies. I've tried all kinds of waxes over the years and detailed some cars unprofessionally. I've always had spotless cars myself. However, I am slightly addicted to spray waxes after almost every wash. I use Nanowax and Mother's reflections all the time. Love the stuff. I don't know if they contain those cleaners but do you think they would be safe as touch up with the 845 say after a month? or is it not even worth it if the 845 lasts as long as advertised?

Paint sealants are new to me so please forgive the nooby questions. I currently use Mother's reflections car wax and top coat and the results are stunning but always looking for that extra WOW factor. Are these compatible with 845 too? Thank you.

IMO. I would use a paste carnuba. Reason being that liquid waxes tend to have solvents that may not bind to others (ie bond to the 845) due to the fact keeping them a liquid. The great thing with paste is that the solvents are milder and some even negative of harsh ones. I have seen liquids topped with liquids and leaves a layer within the wax that is hazy, streaked and weakens the first coat. The 845 should give you great durability 4-6 months on average in my experience. You can absolutly use a spray wax that has Carnuba to spritz as you think. Be careful not to use the spray to often because it can end up building up and take the shine away. I use a slick QD (that is safe for top coats) between washings/waxings. A good one is PB spray and gloss, FK 425. We have always lived by the moto: if you use a nuba base, then top with natural wax. natural wax has a hard time bonding to synthetics. I could be way off in my thoughts and training but just trying to give ya honest feedback.

jjj
09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
IMO. I would use a paste carnuba. Reason being that liquid waxes tend to have solvents that may not bind to others (ie bond to the 845) due to the fact keeping them a liquid. The great thing with paste is that the solvents are milder and some even negative of harsh ones. I have seen liquids topped with liquids and leaves a layer within the wax that is hazy, streaked and weakens the first coat. The 845 should give you great durability 4-6 months on average in my experience. You can absolutly use a spray wax that has Carnuba to spritz as you think. Be careful not to use the spray to often because it can end up building up and take the shine away. I use a slick QD (that is safe for top coats) between washings/waxings. A good one is PB spray and gloss, FK 425. We have always lived by the moto: if you use a nuba base, then top with natural wax. natural wax has a hard time bonding to synthetics. I could be way off in my thoughts and training but just trying to give ya honest feedback.

One other thing is if you use a snyth base you can also top with nuba. You may have to play around and find the one that works. I use PS and NB for most of my nuba's I have others but like these two. Hope I didn't muddy the water.

LPfromNJ
09-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help and great info. When I get some time hopefully next week, I can post a pic of my results.

LPfromNJ
09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Hey guys, thank you again!! I just currently did a detail job on my DD. Everything done by hand since I didn't have a DA polisher. After all the clean and prep steps I applied the BFCS twice yesterday a few hours apart. Let it sit overnight and applied a 3rd coat this morning. My car has never looked like this before. Doesn't look like most of your guys cars since I didn't do major correction, not as expensive and a DD. I've seen a few posts that the Collinite 845 over BFCS results in a "warm" but intense result. Can someone post a picture of a "warm" result from this stuff? Right now it's very glassy, I'm just wondering how far I can go on it and how much (if any) the Collinite will change the look. This will also be applied extremely thin by hand as well. Thanks guys.