PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Ultmate Liquid Wax streaking

Pages : [1] 2

dsigmon
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Anybody else have this problem?

I called Meguiars & they said to WoWo this product but it still streaks

They said because I used #7 to prep with, there is a lot of oils in #7 & quite a bit in UW, that I may have this problem. Boy no kidding!

I applied by hand with the included foam applicator.(my GG 6 DA won't be here for a couple days) I put it on ultra thin & the top layer wipes off easily. But areas where my fingers put a little more pressure on the pad leaves more oils on the paint & thus the streaks of oil.

I can wipe the oil out eventually, but I'm talking some serious wiping, like 2-3 minutes going north to south & then east to west on an 18" X 18" area.

Any suggestions on a faster or better method?

Hunter09
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Try a 50/50 whip down ?

eatnosenuggets
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I had ULW streak like no body's business the first time I used it -- I applied by hand after using UP.

However, using the PC and doing an IPA wipedown after UP, I noticed zero streaking

dsigmon
09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
What's a 50/50 wipe down?

Will the IPA damage the finish?

Hunter09
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
It's IPA and it won't hurt the paint

dsigmon
09-05-2012, 11:37 PM
So I should wipe down after the polish & before the sealant?

Will the 50/50 IPA solution dull the polish job?

Shakabruddah808
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I had the same problem when I used ULW as well. Meg's customer service says to use the 'spit shine' method of finely misting surface with ice cold water and then buffing dry, which worked out fine. But to me it was an extra step, so I ditched the ULW and am now using BFWD applied with LC CCS Euro Foam Red Hand Pads. Much thicker and more durable than those flimsy yellow, saucer-shaped ones. Plus the red pads can be washed and re-used repeatedly.

If you don't mind the extra step of 'spit shining', then go ahead and use that method. Or the next time you apply ULW, let dry about an hour and wipe-off. Follow-up immediately with a second application to both ensure even coverage, and to help remove hazing and streaking left from first application.

I really endorse the LC hand pads. There's just something relaxing and therapeutic about hand waxing versus machine application. Some forum members will even call it fun, which it is. I still keep some of those yellow pads around though. Great for getting into those tight spots.

Hope this helps.

yakky
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
How much are you using? You say thin, but that's no real indicator. Should be able to do a whole car using 1/2oz. The travel sized bottles work great for wax dispensing, they are 3.5 oz, divide in 6 sections, use one of those for the whole car.

Hunter09
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
So I should wipe down after the polish & before the sealant?

Will the 50/50 IPA solution dull the polish job?

After your done waxing if there's streaks u can do a ipa whipe down

pcw25
09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
I've had this exact problem a lot with Ultimate Wax, especially on reds and blacks. I just tossed it because it required too much work for a finish that wouldn't last. I would suggest switching over to Collinite 845 or Duragloss 105. Both last longer, and are cheaper.

dsigmon
09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm using this on my enclosed utility trailer. Putting about 4 - 5 pea sizes drops per 4' X 8' panel. I dab that pea size spot about 5-6 places over a 3' X 4' area & then start spreading it out so that I don't get a heavy coat where I start & thin coat where I finish. I basically don't add any more product to the pad until the pad is dry & dragging on the paint. You have to look very hard to even see it on the surface. Don't think I can get any thinner.

I think I could do my 16 ft trailer probably 15 or more times with this one bottle. It definitely goes a long way.

It's funny after a 24 hr day & some light rain showers, now I don't notice the streaking as bad today.

I don't think I'll be doing the ice water trick. This is enough work already.

I did find that doing smaller areas helped. Doing an 18' X 18' area & immediately wiping off helped. Yesterday was cloudy & I think the cooler temps helped out a bit too.

My GG 6" DA arrived today. YEAH!!!! I'll try it next time.

Dr Oldz
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Try a 50/50 whip down ?

After your done waxing if there's streaks u can do a ipa whipe down

It's IPA and it won't hurt the paint

This isn't good info IMO. IPA may not hurt the paint but it will certainly remove the wax. Not sound advise since the original poster is looking to solve streaking issues and not remove the protection from his vehicle.

Hunter09
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
This isn't good info IMO. IPA may not hurt the paint but it will certainly remove the wax. Not sound advise since the original poster is looking to solve streaking issues and not remove the protection from his vehicle.
I had to do it on my car and it removed the streaks and I re waxed It look great after

dsigmon
09-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Thanks for that! I don't know alot about auto finishes but IPA will damage other finishes I'm familiar with.

I've done a bunch of work polishing on this 16' trailer to remove oxidation. Then I waxed it & really don't want to do have to do it over again. The streaking isn't that bad & I've got a feeling after a few washes I won't be able to notice it. I need to move on to my 2 other vehicles to get them ready for winter.

Thanks for all the advice

Madness87
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I used to use Ultimate Liquid Wax and I actually liked it. I got it on sale from Wal-Mart. I found that you have to apply it super thin. And usually two coats. It wouldn't look perfect after I was done, but by the next day looked close to pristine.

Maybe you'd be happy with their paste wax? People have said it fixes the streak problem?